Disable Automate Order Execution warning?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
AAY

Disable Automate Order Execution warning?

Postby AAY » 06 Feb 2014

Hello

Every time you start automated order execution, a popup warning appears — user is responsible for all auto trading. It might be ok for first few times, but eventually becomes annoying, especially when starting multiple strategies. Is it possible to disable this warning?

Thanks.

Smoky

Re: Disable Automate Order Execution warning?

Postby Smoky » 06 Feb 2014

Yes !!!!

you can also use automated order execution on VPS and you can't see windows popup or alert !

autohotkey is good tools to 'remote click' on warm start but no easy to use with many open charts !

TJ

Postby TJ » 06 Feb 2014

Hello
Every time you start automated order execution, a popup warning appears — user is responsible for all auto trading. It might be ok for first few times, but eventually becomes annoying, especially when starting multiple strategies. Is it possible to disable this warning?
Thanks.
Are you talking about the warning when you first apply the strategy to a chart?
or the warning that pops up when a trade is triggered?

AAY

Postby AAY » 06 Feb 2014

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 06 Feb 2014

We need these check boxes in these "helpful" warnings.

Attachments
2014-02-06_1141.png
(35.99 KiB) Downloaded 2856 times

AAY

Postby AAY » 07 Feb 2014

I understand that no checkbox is likely on purpose. So we always know that we are responsible for out trading, not Multicharts LLC. But if you've seen it like 100 times, it's annoying. If no checkbox, maybe a registry setting for advanced users who know what they do?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Feb 2014

Dear users,

There is already a workaround for the "auto trading confirmation window".
Just save your workspace with auto trading turned on. Next time you open this workspace there will be a single confirmation window for all auto trading charts of this workspace.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 10 Feb 2014

HI? Henry i think it's time to take your "automated" customers ideas !
Next time you open this workspace there will be a single confirmation window for all auto trading charts of this workspace.
HOW close this popup on vps ! you know that there is nobody behin a screen, did youo know that multicharts works on vps with automated study ?

MAtricks is right a simple chexbox like this, or a chexbox in preferences window, folder 'trading' ! and that so ...

Automated trading will be the future....

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 11 Feb 2014

I understand that no checkbox is likely on purpose. So we always know that we are responsible for out trading, not Multicharts LLC. But if you've seen it like 100 times, it's annoying. If no checkbox, maybe a registry setting for advanced users who know what they do?
I suggest this approach of being able to modify a registry setting. Modifying a registry setting is akin to modifying the working conditions of a software, and in my understanding, it will absolve Multicharts from any responsibility if something goes wrong on the user's end.

However, such a feature will make our lives much easier as a user. Thanks MC team if you are listening.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Feb 2014

HOW close this popup on vps ! you know that there is nobody behin a screen, did youo know that multicharts works on vps with automated study ?
Hello Smoky,

I'm sorry but I'm not following you. Please clarify. If there is someone connected to the VPS where MultiCharts is running then when he turns on the auto trading - he can also press OK in the confirmation window.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 11 Feb 2014

Hello Smoky,

I'm sorry but I'm not following you. Please clarify. If there is someone connected to the VPS where MultiCharts is running then when he turns on the auto trading - he can also press OK in the confirmation window.
LOL
this is what I thought ... some explanations:
When you use a VPS, it's for trading 24/24 5/7 without be in front of your screen ok ?
When you reboot your machine on every Sunday,(automate) or after an incident 'everything must be in total control of the PowerLanguage program. Multicharts is the first program launched automatically at startup of the server! I spent a lot of time to encode this type of incident with PowerLanguage (order status, status stategy, the market change ... I save my settings in the registry and I use them for warmstart strategy on incidents. I never be in front of my screen when it will happen. Multicharts hung, then the server automatically reboot (my third party windows application, look for MC study 'watchdog' ! no data => MC Hang => reboot ...). AND this powefull popup stop ALL MY REBOOT PRECESS !

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 11 Feb 2014

(...)
When you use a VPS, it's for trading 24/24 5/7 without be in front of your screen ok ?
(...)
No flame intended, but if someone is such a good programmer that he or she can let the strategies run unattended for 24 hours a day, that person will probably also be more than able to write a small AutoHotKey script (or any other macro program) that automates clicking on "ok" after MultiCharts is started.

And, if someone thinks that the confirmation window pop-up is his or her largest ATS risk/problem, he or she might better go over their processes again, since something surely is missing then.

Just my 2 cents.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 11 Feb 2014

LOL
this is what I thought ... some explanations:
When you reboot your machine on every Sunday,(automate) or after an incident 'everything must be in total control of the PowerLanguage program. Multicharts is the first program launched automatically at startup of the server! I spent a lot of time to encode this type of incident with PowerLanguage (order status, status stategy, the market change ... I save my settings in the registry and I use them for warmstart strategy on incidents. I never be in front of my screen when it will happen. Multicharts hung, then the server automatically reboot (my third party windows application, look for MC study 'watchdog' ! no data => MC Hang => reboot ...). AND this powefull popup stop ALL MY REBOOT PRECESS !
Hello Smoky, Would you be open to do a writeup on how you make the whole process completely automated? I am for sure very interested and I guess many other people will also benefit if you decide to share your knowledge.

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Feb 2014

my 2 cents... disregard if you do not agree/care.

Imagine this scenario:

1. you have set MultiCharts/Strategy to start autotrade without confirmation.
2. you found an old wsp in your harddrive, you load it up to see what's in it.
2a. your finger slipped and clicked on the wrong wsp.
3. MultiCharts starts trading as soon as the chart is loaded.
4. now you are the proud owner of XXX contracts/shares of whatever.

What do you do?

Any comments/thoughts?

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Feb 2014

Scenario #2:

1. You thought you have set MultiCharts/Strategy NOT to start autotrade without confirmation.
1a. You swear that you have set MultiCharts/Strategy NOT to start autotrade without confirmation.
5. The trade went sour and you want to sue MultiCharts for the loss.

Possible scenarios?

any comments/thoughts?

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 11 Feb 2014

autohotkey is good tools to 'remote click' on warm start but no easy to use with many open charts !
Sorry JoshM, could you read my previus post, I kwow very well autohotkey and i have to use it because there is not other solution ! just for this popup !

I already use 4 externals DLL to do what MC don't make ! if I can avoid using an additional tool (source of problem) it's beeter for secure the system.

As usual there is no good answer with bas question ! WHY this popup ?

You can have this popup in preferences windows, folder trading, very simple solution ....and i forget autohotkey :)

TJ you do not understand what is a vps server !

not to play a game ! only ONE 'realtrading.wps' (default wps auto-loading) only needed study,
this server is born only to trade ! optimised, light OS, my windows program manages sending trades on my phone if i want, sms alert on 'MC hang' or lose internet connection, my program manage a 4G modem too;

I can be anywhere in the world, I just need my phone to know what my study do on my server...

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 12 Feb 2014

Sorry JoshM, could you read my previus post, I kwow very well autohotkey and i have to use it because there is not other solution ! just for this popup !

I already use 4 externals DLL to do what MC don't make ! if I can avoid using an additional tool (source of problem) it's beeter for secure the system.
Not sure if I follow you, but a MultiCharts price chart is of ahk_class ATL_MCMDIMainFrame with a window title that contains "MultiCharts * Desktop", for which you can use SetTitleMatchMode. The confirmation window when enabling an ATS has a window name of "Warning" and is of ahk_class #32770. With those two things, you can differentiate whether or not a confirmation window has popped-up. If you combine this in a while loop and use sleep to check every x seconds, you can create an executable of this that runs when Windows starts.

I don't see why this is a source of a problem. Sounds more like a workable solution to me.
TJ you do not understand what is a vps server !
That's quite an assumption. I wouldn't want to take that bet. :)

Jad

Postby Jad » 23 Jul 2014

Hello

Thanks.
In addition to the reasons given by other users above for the need for a checkbox to be able to turn off the warning message, I'd like to add another.

Not everyone wants their strategy to be a fully automated, turn-it-on-once, walk-away-and-go-to-sleep type of approach.

If you prefer a semi-automated approach with multiple strategies, it is sometimes preferable to manually turn them on if/when conditions suit. To avoid an unnecessary delay due to the warning message, I tried clicking on the On/Off button and leaving the warning window up so that I only have to press enter when the time is right.

Doing so highlighted a problem with the Warning window which is caused by it being a dialogue box (I think?). If so, then while it is displayed, data coming is only being queued.

Even if you select 'Yes' quickly, there is a danger, particularly in a fast market, that the first data that your script will receive and process as 'current' - will actually be old. I did this on the DAX yesterday and printed out the relevant fields. I have only listed here the moment the BarNumber goes 'backwards' after I pressed enter.

Time 22/07/2014 11:49:32.314 BarNum = 644.00
High = 9706.00
Low = 9704.00
Close = 9704.00
Last = 9704.00
InsideBid = 9703.50

Time 22/07/2014 11:49:33.282 BarNum = 641.00
High = 9711.00
Low = 9711.00
Close = 9711.00
Last = 9704.00
InsideBid = 9704.00

In the example above, after Bar 644, Bar Number 641 was printed together with 'some' of the values that occurred on the open of that bar (i.e. not 'Last' and 'Inside Bid'). The BarNumber 641 actually started at 11:48:46 (5:48:46 EST) - approx. 45 seconds earlier.

Needless to say that strange results occur. It is ironic that the window warning of the risk of losses is the very thing that could cause them.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jul 2014

Hello Jad,

We do no experience this behavior in our environment. Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 3 pm EST to demonstrate it remotely.

Jad

Postby Jad » 24 Jul 2014

Thank you for looking at the problem for me today and witnessing that what I was saying is actually happening. I'm astonished that no one else has ever reported it although I'd bet there's been a lot of strange and inexplicable 'fills' when first starting AT.

Thank you also for your subsequent suggestion to use LastBarOnChart_s instead of LastBarOnChart but unfortunately, it does not cure the problem entirely (although it does make it slightly less catastrophic than when it was feeding old data from many bars back into the script).

After selecting 'Yes' on the Warning window the data is still always the opening tick of the bar (i.e. BarStatus = 0) - even using LastBarOnChart_s. At least it is now the current bar.

So, for example, on a 10 or 20 point range bar, the 'real' current Open might be 10, the High might be 19 and the Low 10. However, the opening first tick into the script is back when it opened e.g. Open 10, High 10, Low 10. Which is not the current state of the market and causes problems if a script's decision process needs an accurate 'current' High to determine where to place a Stop on a price .

I have also encountered another problem regarding this ridiculous Warning screen and which would also be eliminated if we could just have the option to de-select it.

The following (very simple code) results in repeatedly displaying the Auto-trading Warning window when the Auto-Trading button is pressed? (Note: Using LastBarOnChart_s makes no difference at all in this case).

Code: Select all

DefineDLLFunc: "GlobalVariable.dll", lpstr, "GV_GetNamedString", lpstr, lpstr;
DefineDLLFunc: "GlobalVariable.dll", int, "GV_SetNamedString", lpstr, lpstr;

Inputs: GVName("TestSet"), ErrorCode("SetErr");

Variables: RtnSetVal(0);

If LastBarOnChart then
begin

If GetAppInfo(aiStrategyAuto) <> 0 then
begin
RtnSetVal = GV_SetNamedString (GVName, "Test-Set-OK");
CommandLine(".at_toggle");
end;

end;
I completely understand that MC needs to protect itself from frivolous lawsuits etc. but surely it isn't beyond your collective imaginations to find a better way than to risk having the same warning come up hundreds of times in such a simple example as above? If you need a signed and notarized document absolving you of all liability, you got it - just let me know how you want it worded and where to send it.

I don't think anyone is asking you to remove it entirely. Just provide the option to bypass it for those of us who are not litigious and who would rather not have our code (and lives) unecessarily complicated by it. For anyone who is petrified of accidentally starting Auto-trading, you could still give them the option to see this nag screen.

I have wasted a couple of weeks tracking down the 'old' data problem after being told repeatedly that orders which were sometimes being filled at the Market when I first started the script, was "expected behavior" - and that I would have to pay for 'custom' code to avoid it happening - when in fact it is due to the High/Low data being fed to the script being 'old' and in the past.

I'm glad to have helped in finding the bug but it would never have occurred, and I would not have had to waste the last couple of weeks, if there had been the now, universally accepted option of being able to bypass such nag screens as this Warning.

We didn't become traders because we need to be nannied on every tick!

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 25 Jul 2014

I completely understand that MC needs to protect itself from frivolous lawsuits etc. but surely it isn't beyond your collective imaginations to find a better way than to risk having the same warning come up hundreds of times in such a simple example as above? If you need a signed and notarized document absolving you of all liability, you got it - just let me know how you want it worded and where to send it.

I don't think anyone is asking you to remove it entirely. Just provide the option to bypass it for those of us who are not litigious and who would rather not have our code (and lives) unecessarily complicated by it. For anyone who is petrified of accidentally starting Auto-trading, you could still give them the option to see this nag screen.

I have wasted a couple of weeks tracking down the 'old' data problem after being told repeatedly that orders which were sometimes being filled at the Market when I first started the script, was "expected behavior" - and that I would have to pay for 'custom' code to avoid it happening - when in fact it is due to the High/Low data being fed to the script being 'old' and in the past.

I'm glad to have helped in finding the bug but it would never have occurred, and I would not have had to waste the last couple of weeks, if there had been the now, universally accepted option of being able to bypass such nag screens as this Warning.

We didn't become traders because we need to be nannied on every tick!
YES ! +1000

Finally I found a programmer who understand what I mean...
In preferences add a checkbox for autotrading user of multicharts, and when user click ok you add a second popup to confirm !

Another checkbox to want or not backfill data before sending order after disconnection:

1: I'm in the market, I have 10 open stategy, after a long disconection my server connect again, I don't want to lose time (and may be money) to backfill all chart to have good signal

2: all I want is to close all open position AND CLEAR ALL BUFFURED ORDERS who are not good on this reconnection.

3: as a function of my break time, my study choose to bacfill or not datas ! [another autotrade checkbox] because manual traders would always want backfill first ...

You have made a hard work with DOM for manual traders, now it's time to think to autotraders ;) and give more power to POWERLANGAGE.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Jul 2014

Thank you for looking at the problem for me today and witnessing that what I was saying is actually happening. I'm astonished that no one else has ever reported it although I'd bet there's been a lot of strange and inexplicable 'fills' when first starting AT.

Thank you also for your subsequent suggestion to use LastBarOnChart_s instead of LastBarOnChart but unfortunately, it does not cure the problem entirely (although it does make it slightly less catastrophic than when it was feeding old data from many bars back into the script).

After selecting 'Yes' on the Warning window the data is still always the opening tick of the bar (i.e. BarStatus = 0) - even using LastBarOnChart_s. At least it is now the current bar.

So, for example, on a 10 or 20 point range bar, the 'real' current Open might be 10, the High might be 19 and the Low 10. However, the opening first tick into the script is back when it opened e.g. Open 10, High 10, Low 10. Which is not the current state of the market and causes problems if a script's decision process needs an accurate 'current' High to determine where to place a Stop on a price.[/code]
Hello Jad,

When the auto trading is turned on the strategy is re-calculated on all bars of the data series starting from bar #1. Depending on the configuration it can be calculated different ways. Please see this article for more information. If you want your calculation to start on the last bar but not with an Open value, you need to add a corresponding condition to your code. In MultiCharts 9.1 Beta 1 we are also going to add a new reserved word LastBarOnChart_dt that will allow determining if the current bar is the last bar on the chart with millisecond precision.
I have also encountered another problem regarding this ridiculous Warning screen and which would also be eliminated if we could just have the option to de-select it.

The following (very simple code) results in repeatedly displaying the Auto-trading Warning window when the Auto-Trading button is pressed? (Note: Using LastBarOnChart_s makes no difference at all in this case).
Do you have two instances of this study applied to your chart?

Jad

Postby Jad » 29 Jul 2014

If you want your calculation to start on the last bar but not with an Open value, you need to add a corresponding condition to your code.
Thanks Henry,
Won't adding such a condition only bypass the opening tick of the bar? I'll still end up with the second tick of the bar being input to the script as the 'current' price (which it still won't be). In a 20 point range bar that price might be a very long way from the 'real' current price.
In MultiCharts 9.1 Beta 1 we are also going to add a new reserved word LastBarOnChart_dt that will allow determining if the current bar is the last bar on the chart with millisecond precision.
That sounds like a good idea but, as it stands now, LastBarOnChart_s isn't successful in determining whether the price first presented to the script (after the Warning screen) is the 'real' current price -with 'second' precision.

The starting of a strategy after the warning screen is always presenting the opening tick of the current bar as being the current price regardless of how many 'seconds' ago it actually occurred. If that's happening with LastBarOnChart_s, then how will the proposed LastBarOnChart_dt fare any better? Won't it also start (after the Warning screen) on the opening tick of the bar rather than the 'real' current price?
Do you have two instances of this study applied to your chart?
No - but I do have another chart in the same Workspace that reads and updates GVName("TestSet").

Returning to the subject of the Warning screen again: As it seems to be causing several problems, would it be possible to at least change the point(s) of its appearance?

e.g. Have it appear whenever a strategy is 'added' to a chart - and make this appearance mandatory - but make its appearance optional whenever a strategy is started?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Jul 2014

Please try adding GetAppInfo(aiRealTimeCalc) condition check to your code.

Jad

Postby Jad » 29 Jul 2014

Please try adding GetAppInfo(aiRealTimeCalc) condition check to your code.
Thanks Henry, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Could you respond to the other questions or let me know if they are being considered?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Disable Automate Order Execution warning?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Aug 2014

Returning to the subject of the Warning screen again: As it seems to be causing several problems, would it be possible to at least change the point(s) of its appearance?

e.g. Have it appear whenever a strategy is 'added' to a chart - and make this appearance mandatory - but make its appearance optional whenever a strategy is started?
We will add a registry key for advanced users for disabling this popup in the next major platform revision ( MultiCharts 9.1 beta 1).

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 01 Aug 2014

Many thanks Henry.

Imagine this scenario:

What do you do?

Any comments/thoughts?
Yes, when you work with a real capital you must be professional ! little help with my rules.

Server runing real live account with money:

VPS:
only one wsp, one stategy, no indicators, no graph, all charts hiden.
all sef files only, sudy locked on my first lifetime licence and real broker account number.

Master laptop:
Only VPS source code

Working Laptop:
Broker setup only on demo account !
Datafeed on real time account
only my own work (study, indicators ...)

Dirty laptop:
no broker setup, all other study,indicator...

I know exactly what do my .wps files ! and if I want to test a third party software i use my dirty laptop.

All my PC have a lifetime licence to run together, as you can see no chance to run an unknown .wps or bad files on my VPS

Jad

Postby Jad » 04 Aug 2014

Yes - many thanks Henry.

Imagine this scenario:

What do you do?

Any comments/thoughts?
I understand the concern that some people might have but the flaw in the rationale above is that it is no worse (and actually far less damaging) than Multicharts starting to trade immediately and erroneously because the first tick(s) received after the confirmation Warning screen gives the script a false indication of what the current price is??

There is simply no justification for having old data being fed into a script and being presented as current data - howsoever caused.

In TJ's scenario,

1. The fault causing Multicharts to trade immediately lies entirely with the trader's lack of care in first loading up an old wsp while in 'live' mode.
2. The trader has within his/her control the ability to ensure it never happens.

OTOH, In the current environment

1. The risk of trades being fired off incorrectly and immediately is not the fault of the trader but in MC feeding old data into the script after the Warning screen.
2. With the Warning screen being mandatory, as it is currently, the trader has no control to ensure that it never happens.

The suggested alternatives would allow traders to choose to keep the nag screen if they are prone to loading up old Workspaces in a Live environment. However, it would do so at the expense of everyone else and potentially feed out-of-date price data to the script immediately after the Warning screen.

Once again, many thanks Henry.

AAY

Postby AAY » 19 Oct 2015

We will add a registry key for advanced users for disabling this popup in the next major platform revision ( MultiCharts 9.1 beta 1).
Hey, any news on this? Is there a hidden setting for 9.1?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Oct 2015

Hello AAY,

Since MultiCharts 9.1 you can go to Windows Start menu -> type Regedit.exe -> press Enter -> open this path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\%your MultiCharts product name%\MC
Double click on "NeedConfirmSwitchAT" key and change the value to False.

You will need to restart all MultiCharts processes to make the option come into effect:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Processes

AAY

Postby AAY » 19 Oct 2015

Hello AAY,

Since MultiCharts 9.1 you can go to Windows Start menu -> type Regedit.exe -> press Enter -> open this path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\%your MultiCharts product name%\MC
Double click on "NeedConfirmSwitchAT" key and change the value to False.
Glad to hear it's implemented. Thanks!

AAY

Postby AAY » 20 Oct 2015

It works now, but only when you manually activate Auto Trading on an existing chart. When you open a workspace containing charts with Auto Trading enabled, confirmation window still appears.

For me, it's one of the very few annoyances with MC. I have 30 workspaces with Auto Trading on, and when I start MC, I have to click "yes" on each one.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Oct 2015

It works now, but only when you manually activate Auto Trading on an existing chart. When you open a workspace containing charts with Auto Trading enabled, confirmation window still appears.
Correct. In a single window you can allow or deny starting auto trading for all charts that had it enabled upon saving the workspace. This functionality is different from starting the auto trading on a given single chart.

Return to “MultiCharts”