Can't get Free quote daily bars even though weekly come in  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Can't get Free quote daily bars even though weekly come in

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 Feb 2014

I just set up free quotes for two symbols.

BCE (Bell Canada Enterprises on the NYSE - New York Stock Exchange)
and
BCE.TO (Bell Canada Enterprises on the TSE - Toronto Stock Exchange)

I set them both up on weekly bars initially and they both come through (same work space). I did a copy/paste of the BCE chart and set it to daily bars and it comes through okay. However when I do a copy/paste of the BCE.TO chart and switch the copy to daily bars I get "establishing connection" and it never changes (I tried it 2 weekends and it is always the same). On the link below (Yahoo finance) I see the daily quotes for the BCE.TO symbol so it should be coming through in MC on the daily bars chart I would think.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?a=&b=&c=& ... O%2C+&ql=1

Is this a bug or did I miss something during the copy/paste process of the BCE.TO symbol?

Thanks,
John

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Can't get Free quote daily bars even though weekly come

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 Feb 2014

Hello John,

Weekly bars are built out of 1 day bars. It means 1 day data should be already saved in your QuoteManager. Please right click on the BCE.TO instrument in QuoteManager->Edit data. Try plotting the data range of the data you have in QuoteManager Edit Data on your chart.
Have you also tried reloading the chart? Which version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? This behavior was not replicated on our end using MultiCharts 8.8 Release.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 18 Feb 2014

Hello bowlesj3,

Seems to be working on my end:

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Feb 2014

Thanks guys.

I did not change any settings but it seems to be okay now. If I go in off-line today (as of 13:19 in the afternoon) I get the daily bars for both symbols BCE and BCE.TO. I initially tried going in on-line thinking I would need to download the latest prices and I got the (waiting for connection) message. I guess the data for today is not complete so that is why I can not get connected live. So when I went in off-line after trying that I did get the data right up to the 14th of Feb. This matches what is on the Yahoo web page. So it appears all is good for now. Maybe the difference is trying what Andrew said. While on-line I went into the quote manager as he said and clicked Load. I saw the daily data come into the quote manager. Maybe doing that triggered something to make it work for the chart.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Feb 2014

I just did an experiment and I have learned more about this problem. I figure you would like to see the results of the experiment.

During the experiment, I found out that the problem still exists and I found out how to solve this problem (or at least work around it since I can see all the charts correctly off-line). While I was doing the experiment I typed up exactly what I was doing in MS-word. I took a snapshot of that MS-word document and attached it as a "png" file so you could see the detailed steps. I hope this helps.
Attachments
BCE_Stock_Experiment.PNG
(81.59 KiB) Downloaded 941 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Feb 2014

Hello John,

Which version and build number of MultiCharts are you running?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Feb 2014

Hi Henry,

I am using 32 bit 8.0 release (Build 5620). I want to stay on this release for at least one more trading week. The reason is the conversion of my external program is going so well, this weekend I am going to try and get myself shifted from running on an I3 machine with windows XP to running on the I5 machine with Win 7. I wanted to stay on the current release until I find I can stay on the I5 machine without any problems (basically not changing too many things all at once). The I3 machine will then be a backup machine just in case there is a problem with the I5 machine and it needs to go in the shop. Once all this occurs, and all is well for at least a week, then I will try and upgrade to the latest 32 bit MultiCharts.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Mar 2014

So on Saturday March 1st, to see the BCE.TO daily bar for the Friday just past (Feb 28th 2014), I had to do this.

Start MC for on-line use,
close the E-mini work space and open the BCE work space
get the "Establishing Connection" message on the BCE.TO symbol daily bars,
assume that the free quote data for (Feb 28th 2014) was brought into the database,
close down MC,
bring MC back up for off-line viewing of the chart,
open the BCE work space. It worked, I can now see the BCE.TO symbol daily bars Feb 28th bar.

Maybe I could have done this shorter procedure. I will have to try it next weekend.
Start MC for on-line use,
assume that the free quote data for (Feb 28th 2014) was brought into the database,
close down MC,
bring MC back up for off-line viewing of the chart,
open the BCE work space and get the previous days completed daily bar for BCE.TO.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Mar 2014

Correction. I posted that the workaround in post #5 did not work but I was wrong. I tried the work around again and it still works. I just have to remember to go in off-line after I have tried to get the data on-line and obtained the message "trying to establish connection". So that is basically 3 times now that the post #5 work around has worked. It appears very consistent on my end at least.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Aug 2015

After a big break from trading due to being busy with my website, since the markets are crashing and starting to get interesting I am looking at this symbol again. I just thought I would let you know that this issue status is exactly as it was the last time I checked.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Aug 2015

Hello bowlesj3,

It still works ok on our end without any special actions.

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely. We will do our best to help you.
Attachments
BCE-BCE.TO.png
(116.68 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Aug 2015

Okay Henry. I will do that Wed Morning around 8am EST. Thanks. John

bowlesj3

Re: Can't get Free quote daily bars even though weekly come   [SOLVED]

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Aug 2015

The BCE.TO daily bar chart loaded correctly today for the bar of the 26th. Thanks again Henry.

Return to “MultiCharts”