Thanks to the MC staff for not removing features

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Thanks to the MC staff for not removing features

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Feb 2014

I just bought a newer version of Microsoft software (but not the latest since I learned through a forum that the latest version had many features removed). Actually come to think of it I bought 3 older versions of their software. After doing the research for this purchase I have become even more aware that Microsoft is both making their software better but at the same time removing old features that people use. I have also become aware that this is forcing users to purchase older used versions rather than being excited about buying the newer versions. I am beginning to realize how smart the MC staff are in never making this mistake (or at least listening to their users and making sure those old features are put back into their software if they accidentally remove a feature). To me it makes no sense to put all that effort into writing code for a feature then removing it without being absolutely sure that zero users are using it. After all who is to say that new users may not appreciate that feature too! I feel if a software vendor wants to remove a feature for some very good reason they should first survey to see if anyone is using it. The MC staff are in a perfect position to do this since the users can not run MC live unless the users are connected to their server (in other words, they can be sure they have surveyed pretty much everyone).

Microsoft on the other hand has caused me to stay on older versions of 4 or 5 of their software because they remove old features and the new features are not that valuable to me. I am starting to get concerned with their questionable policy to the point that I may purchase 5 or 6 brand new very fast machines which can run these old version of software so I have enough for the remainder of my life. If not touching these machines at all until my current machine can not be repaired allows me to run the next one (fresh out of the box) for another 5 years eliminates all risk of having to spend huge amounts of time figuring out workarounds because I still have all the features I use, it will be well worth the investment. I think it would be wise for the MC staff to be aware that users are holding back on buying the latest versions of MS products and be very cautious about writing their software such that it can only run on these newer versions of the MS operating system or explorer. Win 8 is apparently getting a very large number of complaints from users who refuse to use it. I have heard nothing good about it at all and apparently servicing machines with Win 8 on them is very slow. My computer repair person on Friday was going on and on about how bad Win 8 is. Also a lot of users are abandoning MS explorer.

So thanks to the MC staff for not removing any features.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 23 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

arnie

Re: Thanks to the MC staff for no removing features

Postby arnie » 23 Feb 2014

I read somewhere that Win 8 is being seen as Win Vista, meaning, like Win 7 was the real upgrade for Win XP, Win 9 might be the real upgrade for Win 8.

I confess that the only contact I had with Win 8 was on a tablet and I found it to be really interesting, especially the PRO version.
For a desktop... the "touch" experience will only be usable when all software are "touch" ready which they are not.

I think we are yet to find a way to converge the "touch" experience with a desktop computer.
Win 8 was the first attempt but clearly the experience failed.

Tablets and desktop computers are completely different worlds.
For the regular Joe, yeah, it's cool to have a "touch" desktop because the only thing he does is viewing emails and watching YouTube videos.
Those that use it for work, it will be very difficult to change because, like I said, the majority of the software is not and will not be prepared to be "touched".

Laptops are in a world of their own, where hybrids are flourishing at every corner.
Win 8 might have been developed thinking on laptops, especially hybrids and not so much on desktops.

Return to “MultiCharts”