MC on USB drive

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Arbitrageur

MC on USB drive

Postby Arbitrageur » 21 Jan 2008

is it possible to install and run MC from a USB type drive or memory stick?

I'm interested in installing MC on a portable drive that could then be used with different computers depending on my location.

Will this work? or is the MC installation tied to a registry entry that would be machine specific?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 21 Jan 2008

Hi Arbitrageur,

No this won't work. USB can't be used to get MC work on other machines.

Regards.

Lobo.Trader

Re: MC on USB drive

Postby Lobo.Trader » 27 Nov 2011

Hello

now 3 years later :-) is there any chance of having mobile MC ? So that I can work on my code with my MC on the PC/LapTop of any "3rd party " ?

Lobo

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Nov 2011

Hello Lobo.
Unfortunately that is not possible to have a portable version of MultiCharts.
On PC2 you cannot run MC installed on PC1.

Lobo.Trader

Postby Lobo.Trader » 28 Nov 2011

Hello Henry

I might have missexplained myself . Also a new question came up (only aquired MC this weekend and assumed something which appears to require reconfirm =>)

1.) MC on USB drive : I am travelling very much and frequently I have idle . This time I can save today by continuing to code my EA´s whilst waiting . Any PC around me I ask for permission of course and than I plugin my USB and do some MT4-coding , no prob .
You are telling me, I cannot with MC ?

2.) New question ,somewhat familiar though : I run 3 PC´s , my home server (desktop) , a laptop 18´´ at home enjoying chart and code at the same time being visible to me and finally , for travel , another smaller laptop (screen) with SSD . It is my intend, to use server for automated trading, and either of the laptop or my USB for coding .
Will I be OK to run my server with MC and another MC-session with one and the same licens ? If not ... do not scare me to death .... will I have to purchase another MC lifetime licens ???? Please say "NO"

:-)

Kind regards from Germany

Lobo

PS.: And MC is superb . After long time on MT4 I am just in "heaven" in re to coding and what I expect to experiance during BT and Optimising (saw the webinar at BMT)

PPS.: Any spelling mistakes / strange way of explaing things ? => Sorry :-(

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Nov 2011

You can use a 3rd party program to sync your data and studies into a USB,
which would allow you to continue your coding when you are at another computer that has MultiCharts installed.
You cannot install MultiCharts into a USB, I believe this is a Microsoft OS limitation.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Nov 2011

Hello Henry

I might have missexplained myself . Also a new question came up (only aquired MC this weekend and assumed something which appears to require reconfirm =>)

1.) MC on USB drive : I am travelling very much and frequently I have idle . This time I can save today by continuing to code my EA´s whilst waiting . Any PC around me I ask for permission of course and than I plugin my USB and do some MT4-coding , no prob .
You are telling me, I cannot with MC ?

2.) New question ,somewhat familiar though : I run 3 PC´s , my home server (desktop) , a laptop 18´´ at home enjoying chart and code at the same time being visible to me and finally , for travel , another smaller laptop (screen) with SSD . It is my intend, to use server for automated trading, and either of the laptop or my USB for coding .
Will I be OK to run my server with MC and another MC-session with one and the same licens ? If not ... do not scare me to death .... will I have to purchase another MC lifetime licens ???? Please say "NO"
:-)
Kind regards from Germany
Lobo

PS.: And MC is superb . After long time on MT4 I am just in "heaven" in re to coding and what I expect to experiance during BT and Optimising (saw the webinar at BMT)

PPS.: Any spelling mistakes / strange way of explaing things ? => Sorry :-(
Thank you for your kind feedback.

1) MultiCharts creates registry entries that are tied to the system where MC was installed.
If you want to keep your user's data in sync you can manually copy/paste the folders you need or share them using DropBox for example.
You cannot just copy all MC folders and run it from the USB drive.

2) You can install MultiCharts on two PCs, but you can run one MultiCharts license in online mode only at one computer at a time.
If you want to run MC in online mode on PC1 and offline on PC2 simultaneously - you need to disable the Internet connection on the PC2 that will be in offline mode.
You need to login to MC on PC2 first, then switch to offline mode, disable Internet, login to MC on PC1 in online mode.

Return to “MultiCharts”