Heikin-Ashi AutoTrading?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
kinkeadfx

Heikin-Ashi AutoTrading?

Postby kinkeadfx » 10 Jun 2014

I have been playing around with Heikin-Ashi charts and AutoTrading with some strategies.
Are the results correct when backtesting or are they miscalculated due to using heikin-ashi charts?

MAtricks

Re: Heikin-Ashi AutoTrading?

Postby MAtricks » 10 Jun 2014

All orders must be executed on the close of a bar and you should be good. Otherwise, yes, these are not reliable to back-test on.

Dutchtrader67

Postby Dutchtrader67 » 10 Jun 2014

In my point of view this charttype is only usefull for manually trading.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 10 Jun 2014

Yes, MAtricks is right, no IntrabarOrderGeneration, no bar magnifer with no regular bar ...

oceanic

Postby oceanic » 12 Jun 2014

Here is a suggestion. Develop and test your strategy on regular bars. When you are satisfied with the back-tested results, autotrade the strategy using Heikin-Ashi bars. I have found from live testing the same strategy side-by-side on regular bars and Heikin-Ashi bars that the latter gives better real time results. I have no explanation why this is so. It may just be the type of strategy I developed. Perhaps other traders can try this out and share their experiences. Thanks.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Jun 2014

Here is a suggestion. Develop and test your strategy on regular bars. When you are satisfied with the back-tested results, autotrade the strategy using Heikin-Ashi bars. I have found from live testing the same strategy side-by-side on regular bars and Heikin-Ashi bars that the latter gives better real time results. I have no explanation why this is so.
I cannot agree this is a good advice. A strategy should be developed concerning all peculiarities of the non-standard chart type + it should be tested in real-time with a demo account before going live.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 13 Jun 2014

Great advice Andrew.

Return to “MultiCharts”