Most Stable API

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
waveslider

Most Stable API

Postby waveslider » 18 Aug 2014

I'd like to start a conversation regarding peoples experiences with their API connections and stability of the connection.

The following are my experience with various:

Rithmic: the most stable and fastest connection I have found. This connection often needs to be reset on Sundays, or at least the charts that use the data need to be reloaded once in a while. I experience a disruption VERY infrequently.

CQG: I believe it to be an inferior API. Disconnections are common, 2-3 times a week. Sometimes MC will say there is a connection and orders are rejected for some reason, so you can't trust the MC green light.

TT: Limited experience but it seemed ok.

PATS: Same as TT, I think I remember there was a nightly reset or something.

MAtricks

Re: Most Stable API

Postby MAtricks » 18 Aug 2014

Rithmic has the most dependable connection with MC. Although, I thought that CQG's connection was upgraded in 9.0 and has been just as good ever since. All the others gave me a headache.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 18 Aug 2014

I have not yet upgraded to 9.0 as I was concerned about stability. In your experience is 9.0 stable? I tried it once and had multiple auto execution issues.

One thing with Rithmic I have found is that sometimes the prices on chart trading interface freeze, so your P&L on position freezes also. I click the green light button and it says "are you sure...", I wait a few seconds and say no, then the feed usually catches up.

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 18 Aug 2014

Yes, the CQG connection is stable in MC 9.0 beta 2

I have three connections at present:

IB (both live and sim)
CQG via AMP (both live and demo)
Rithmic via Vision (demo)

CQG and Rithmic appear stable.
IB has days where you do get several drop outs and days on end where all is fine.
I upgraded TWS last week and it's been good for me since that upgrade

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 22 Aug 2014

Until MC 9.0 Beta2, Rithmic was the most reliable api. Now, the CQG api is definitely proving to be just as good or possibly better (I see no issues with either).

However, I've recently learned that CQG is making some changes and we're going to need a new CQG api by the end of the year. Currently we're using a COM api which works through CQG Trader and this option will not be available much longer. CQG is making changes and pushing retail api tools to Continuum. (forgive me if the details aren't exactly correct...information has been difficult to get)

I'd like some feedback from MC about this matter. It would be comforting to know that the api is already being built before I make the switch to CQG data.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 22 Aug 2014

I would second this request for some visibility from Multicharts regarding the CQG API. It's great news that the API has been integrated, but is this going to require hotfixes going forward if CQG updates their end?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Aug 2014

We are going to add support for the new CQG API by the end of the year (prior to COM API suspension). It will require an update for MultiCharts.

tony

Postby tony » 11 Sep 2014

I've run IB, TT and now Rithmic. IB, oh my god, I have problems with it. TT and Rithmic both are very stable. I didn't interface with TT as a client was running remotely, but Rithmic I just finished a demo and now running a funded account. And so far so good. No problems to note. I tip my hat to MATricks for the reviews on Rithmic and Vision to have that my new set up.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 11 Sep 2014

The instance where CQG says it's connected but orders are rejected happened again this week. The moral I have learned is that you have to reset a CQG connection when markets re-opn on sunday. If not more frequently.
Last edited by waveslider on 16 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.

tony

Postby tony » 11 Sep 2014

Vision is soon to be no more, I'd like to keep my Rithmic connect but it looks like it will be pure CQG for me.

The instance where CQG says it's connected but orders are rejected happened again this week. The moral I have learned is that you have to reset a CQG connection when markets re-opn on sunday. If not more frequently.
Why is Vision "soon to be no more." Just curious what you mean and why.

waveslider

They are being shut down by the NFA for violations.
http://www.nfa.futures.org/news/newsRel ... cleID=4428

In my experience the back office side of Vision is excellent, but the sales side is predatory. They say they will re-organize as High Ridge, but to me it's a red flag.
Last edited by waveslider on 16 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 11 Sep 2014

Careful with the rumors... Vision isn't going anywhere. They're just separating and renaming the Futures side of things.

waveslider

If the NFA announces it, I wouldn't consider it a rumour. Maybe you're right, just the futures side, but I've always thought of NFA as an FCM. I have quite a few accounts there, they say the only difference will be the name. Nice slap on the wrist NFA. I'm out.
Any red flags these days... we all should be wary after MF Global etc.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 11 Sep 2014

Not trying to debate here.. Just saying that Vision will still be there. Your Rithmic data will still be there.

I completely agree, we should be wary of where our money is located. The broker you're going to, FCStone, has a much better name. Switching FCMs is definitely on the table of decisions for me as well.. but for different reasons.

NFA is a SRO (Self Regulatory Organization). Vision and FCStone are FCMs (Futures Commission Merchant)

PatrickSocal

Pricing for Continuum to replace CQG

Postby PatrickSocal » 16 Oct 2014

Has anyone received a price quote for the new upcoming Continuum API for MultiCharts? (This is the API that is replacing CQG.)

I just spoke to an FCM that supports MC through the current virtualized CQG Trader COM API. The current pricing for that is:
$25/mo +
$25/mo for data enablement of only 3 symbols -or- $50/mo for 10 symbols +
$0.25 per side
Total costs for this are capped at $400-500/mo depending on your FCM.

HOWEVER... I can't find any pricing information at all on Continuum for MultiCharts. I don't want to be surprised by a new pricing schedule, unless it's a pleasant surprise.

The same FCM I spoke to this afternoon said that they *do* have pricing for Continuum for NT:
$10/mo +
$50/mo to Continuum directly +
$0.15 per side.

So my question is twofold... 1) Can someone please tell us what we can expect to pay when MC switches over to Continuum, and 2) Can the business development folks at MC please find out how Continuum can offer such a good deal to NT customers, and negotiate a similar deal for us?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Pricing for Continuum to replace CQG

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2014

So my question is twofold... 1) Can someone please tell us what we can expect to pay when MC switches over to Continuum, and 2) Can the business development folks at MC please find out how Continuum can offer such a good deal to NT customers, and negotiate a similar deal for us?
We are broker neutral platform. We do not have this information as this is not something that is related to MultiCharts.

PatrickSocal

Postby PatrickSocal » 17 Oct 2014

We are broker neutral platform. We do not have this information as this is not something that is related to MultiCharts.
Hi Henry,

My understanding is that CQG/Continuum are the ones who set the pricing. Not the brokers. If the staff at MC have ongoing contact with CQG/Continuum, it would be great if an MC person could bring up the question of customer pricing, to see if they are flexible. We as end-users have no leverage, but MC has thousands of customers. I see benefits for both MultiCharts, Inc and CQG/Continuum:

1) Current MC customers might want CQG/Continuum if it were more competitive with Rithmic (an incentive for CQG/Continuum to negotiate).
2) Current CQG customers at a non-Rithmic FCM might want MultiCharts if it offered better pricing (an incentive for MultiCharts to make an effort).
...a) Currently, traders at a non-Rithmic FCM who want to use a CQG feed for autotrading can get NT for so much less than MC, so they have an incentive not to choose MultiCharts

Anyway, it would be nice. Perhaps the reason NT is so widely adopted has something to do with their business development efforts with the order routing networks and brokers. Now that NT is captive and people are looking for alternatives, it's a great chance for MC to pick up market share, and to use its leverage to improve its attractiveness to end-users like us. Good business strategy.

Thanks for your consideration.

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 02 Dec 2014

At RJO I can confirm that Multicharts users pay $25/month + 0.30/side to use CQG API, while NT users pay $10/month +0.15/side.

I don't get it

Return to “MultiCharts”