Any Idea when... A faster Project Management web page

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Any Idea when... A faster Project Management web page

Postby arjfca » 04 Sep 2014

Hello

Any idea when MC will put some effort to put a faster way to load up the Project Management site. We are in the year 2014, not 1994. Progress has been made in software technology.. :)

Loading the Project Management web page was started before writing this and still loading...

A good day to all and happy trading time.

Martin

P.S. MC team, no offence just to tease and remind you this is an old request from some members

JoshM

Re: Any Idea when... A faster Project Management web page

Postby JoshM » 04 Sep 2014

Any idea when MC will put some effort to put a faster way to load up the Project Management site. We are in the year 2014, not 1994. Progress has been made in software technology.. :)
I've become a little bit pessimistic about this ever going to change: the original topic was over 1,5 years ago, basic website speed principles are not implemented, load times suggest there's no caching at all, and speeding up a website with a CDN is very cheap (and much more secure).

It's hard to imagine the Project Management site is from the same people who brought us TradingView.com.

The forum website speed is also not up to standards I think (it's not rare that I see load times of 8 seconds). But I, like Martin, really hope this is going to change soon. :)

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 04 Sep 2014

I've become a little bit pessimistic about this ever going to change: the original topic was over 1,5 years ago, basic website speed principles are not implemented, load times suggest there's no caching at all, and speeding up a website with a CDN is very cheap (and much more secure).

It's hard to imagine the Project Management site is from the same people who brought us TradingView.com.

The forum website speed is also not up to standards I think (it's not rare that I see load times of 8 seconds). But I, like Martin, really hope this is going to change soon. :)
Maybe one day...
I didn't knew that Tradingview was developed by MC. I like the site for the historical chart that I can't have with IB

Martin

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 05 Sep 2014

The unwillingness to address this also causes extra work for both customer and the MultiCharts group. On multiple occasions I have tried to research if an anomaly or issue was already a known bug and on the radar to be addressed. In multiple cases it has.

I can't stop being productive and wait exhaustive minutes between queries so I am forced to post my concern(s) in the forum. This causes Henry (who is quite helpful) to very often confirm it is known and being (or has been) addressed.

It is unfortunate that Henry has to play this recurrent game but more importantly it is most certainly not customer centric. In addition the credentials used for the PM system are (or at least seem to be) different from those of the more general forum. This too simply shouldn't be the case.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Sep 2014

I can't stop being productive and wait exhaustive minutes between queries (...)
That also defeats the purpose of the PM website. If people don't want to visit the PM website, why would an user take the time and effort to research/document a feature request? There is no point in that if other people don't see (i.e., vote for) it.

Edit: To search productively in the PM website Javamarket, just search through Google with queries like "bar magnifier site:https://www.multicharts.com/pm/" (if you didn't already do so).

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 12 Sep 2014

The forum website speed is also not up to standards I think (it's not rare that I see load times of 8 seconds).
I just had two wait two minutes before my previous reply was posted:

This is not the first time I had to wait long before after clicking on 'Submit'. It happened a few minutes prior to the timestamp of this post.

Do other people also sometimes experience a long waiting time after clicking on 'Submit'?
Attachments
scr.13-09-2014 06.06.10.png
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 1976 times

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 13 Sep 2014

The forum website speed is also not up to standards I think (it's not rare that I see load times of 8 seconds).
I just had two wait two minutes before my previous reply was posted:

This is not the first time I had to wait long before after clicking on 'Submit'. It happened a few minutes prior to the timestamp of this post.

Do other people also sometimes experience a long waiting time after clicking on 'Submit'?
Yes I do experience the same. Don't have tool or knowhow to measure it like you did. Interesting.

I persist to post on the Project management my ideas request or problem found because I love the product and MC team. I want it to evolve. Otherwise, I would have flush it very soon.

So slow that now, I do think twice before posting, If I do, others may do..... This could be a reason for them to not improve the site ????

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 13 Sep 2014

MC Team,

I hope you guys are listening. If you can increase speed of PM, it will make the overall process smoother. Thanks for all the other improvements.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 17 Sep 2014

MultiCharts Support and management,

I, like many other users, like contributing on the forum for several reasons, such as helping others and an appreciation of the MultiCharts product. And MultiCharts Support people have been encouraging us to contribute to the forum, because this provides clear benefits for them (less work) and the MultiCharts product (more a sense of community).

But on a personal note, the lack of investment in a decent webserver has been highly discouraging to remain an active poster. It has already driven me to the point that my consideration is not anymore "Can I answer this question?" but instead has become "Do I want to spend up to dozens of seconds per page view while answering this question?".

As an example, the page in which I'm typing this response took 20 seconds to load. But to collaborate my point with some facts, here's a webspeed test from yesterday (30 seconds load time) and from today (17 seconds). Oh, and the Project Management site is not accessible for me today due to a fatal error caused by too few resources:

An interesting read for whoever is charged with the website operations of MultiCharts is this article, which provides an introduction at speeding up websites. I'm not sure you, the webmaster, needs such an introductory article, but I assume you might need it since even basic things have not been implemented yet. You might also want to check out companies like CloudFlare and Incapsula, not only for their website acceleration tools but also for their PCI certified WAF or their features for valid SSL certificates. You will probably also notice that the costs of these services are less than your monthly costs on coffee, so you (the webmaster) can probably easily make a case for this speed and security improvement with the financial department.

Here's an interesting study for your sales department, which shows that almost half of online shoppers want to have pageload times less than 2 seconds. That study is a few years old (from 2009), but it seems a safe assumption that people in 2014 have become more (and not less) demanding of technology and website speed than in the past with all these highspeed internet connections.

I'm not sure why such a low emphasis has been placed on the website speed because in my view (and probably in those of the previous posters), a low website speed is not productive and annoying. I suspect that the "Thanks" given by the MultiCharts employees in this thread underlines this point: no one (employees, existing customers, and potential customers) likes to work with a slow website.

I know this post is "crying in the wilderness" in the sense that there very probably will not be a response from the webmaster (or this post even removed due to 'non-constructive criticism') but I hope that I make clear that a slow website speed is (in my personal view) not conducive to a good user experience. As a loyal user, I felt the need to speak up even though it might be in vain.
Attachments
scr.17-09-2014 08.22.13.png
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 1929 times

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 18 Sep 2014

I really hope that the post by JoshM is given the merit it deserves. There are a handful of folks that are a fantastic source of support and information outside of the MC staff. Without question this kind person is one of them. Not only is he knowledgeable, but he shares his abilities with others with no benefit other than a "thank you".

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Sep 2014

Dear users,

Let me clarify the situation, to address concerns about the system operation speed of Project Management.

The webserver is not the issue, it’s that the current Project Management system can’t handle the heavy load. We created it using open-source 3rd-party software, which promised to be flexible, functional and stable. Unfortunately, turns out this tech can’t handle the current amount of entries.

Due to the nature of the current database, there’s no easy way to bulk migrate everything into a new system. This means we’d have to adjust and move each PM entry manually, which is very labor-intensive and time-consuming.

The most efficient solution, which will yield the fastest results, is splitting the load within the current system. In the near future, we’ll introduce multiple tabs to the PM page, which spread the entries and speed the system up. At the same time, we’ll look for better tech to eventually replace the current PM.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 19 Sep 2014

Dear users,
Due to the nature of the current database, there’s no easy way to bulk migrate everything into a new system. This means we’d have to adjust and move each PM entry manually, which is very labor-intensive and time-consuming.
Henry - Just a suggestion.
Even manually moving each PM entry separately to a new system can be done way cheaply, provided you hire resources from countries where wage rate is low. odesk/elance are excellent services which will let you find someone to do this manual task on the cheap.

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 19 Sep 2014

I think the most disconcerting part of this is the specious assertion that this would entail a manual, costly, and time consuming process. There is an entire discipline known as ETL that exists for this express purpose which is neither cost prohibitive nor difficult to find expertise in.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Sep 2014

There is no need to move the old cases. They are obsolete or in oblivion anyway.

You can start a new PM software with V9 release.

All the cases can start anew.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 19 Sep 2014

There is no need to move the old cases. They are obsolete or in oblivion anyway.

You can start a new PM software with V9 release.

All the cases can start anew.
Interesting TJ.

MC: And after having repair the Project Management problem, take some time to repair "TJ" thanks fatal error case.

He give us an "overload" of help and for that he his punished. lol

:)

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 Sep 2014

MC: And after having repair the Project Management problem, take some time to repair "TJ" thanks fatal error case.
To whom of MultiCharts it might concern:

How to solve "Fatal error: Class 'messenger' not found" when giving thanks.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 13 Nov 2014

Dear users,

Let me clarify the situation, to address concerns about the system operation speed of Project Management.

(...)
Would it help if we (meaning, the users) provide cheap suggestions to increase the website speed of both the PM website and forum?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 17 Feb 2015

Is it just me, or do you guys also get an error like the following when accessing the PM site? I get this error since Saturday.

Attachments
scr.17-02-2015 06.27.57.png
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 1843 times

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 17 Feb 2015

Just tried and same error as what you got

Martin

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Feb 2015

Is it just me, or do you guys also get an error like the following when accessing the PM site? I get this error since Saturday.

The error has been fixed. Project Management system is available now.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 27 Mar 2015

Yesterday and today I repeatedly experience an error when accessing the Wiki:

If I refresh the page after a few minutes it often works or I might need to wait another few minutes. Can this perhaps be looked into?
Attachments
scr.27-03-2015 06.19.38.png
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 1792 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Mar 2015

Yesterday and today I repeatedly experience an error when accessing the Wiki:

If I refresh the page after a few minutes it often works or I might need to wait another few minutes. Can this perhaps be looked into?
Our hosting provider should have resolved this issue a couple of days ago. We have not experienced it since then. If it happens within live chat operation hours - please let us know and we will contact our hosting provider.

Return to “MultiCharts”