Windows - Arrange bug

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
RobotMan

Windows - Arrange bug

Postby RobotMan » 02 Feb 2008

Hi Maria,

Ver3.01
You guys keep getting better and better, I love it. Great new beta. Although I forgot to recompile all uncompiled functions, indicators and strategies upon install. I quickly figured it out. Everything seems to run smoothly. Thanks to TSSupport!

Windows / Arrange bug:

Menu / Windows / Arrange Vertically (for example)
Let's say I have three chart windows in a workspace. Lets call them 100tick, 200tick, 300tick. I cannot force the order they will arrange by clicking on the title bar in the order I would like them left to right, as I previously could in ver 2 (and also in TS). Ie: If I want 300tick on the left, 200tick in the middle and 100tick on the right - I would click in their respective title bar, first 100tick, next 200tick, finally 300tick. then click "Window" / "Arrange Vertically". This no longer functions. Now, MC puts the Charts in one order and one order only. I am forced to drag the windows into the order I desire.

Also: If I minimize one of the charts and "Arrange", I lose the space that I was trying to gain because MC still reseves a space for where that minimized chart would normally be if it were restored. I still end up manually dragging the minimized chart to the bottom of the screen and dragging and sizing the remaining two charts to the location and size I desire.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your support!

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Feb 2008

Hi Bob,

Thank you for reporting the bug. It'll be fixed shortly.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Feb 2008

Hi Bob,

How would you like to have windows arranged? Could you please provide as many details as possible?

Thank you!

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 12 Feb 2008

Hi Marina,

3.0.1137.3363_beta1

Windows/Arrange works fine.

The order of the chart windows is the issue.
In MC ver 2, in TS, and in most Windows Apps that I've seen: the order that you activate by clicking on each chart window is the order they appear in the workspace from right to left (ie: for "Arrange Vertically"). This functionality is missing in ver 3.

Let say you open a new workspace and then populate it with 3 chart windows of ES data. Let's call them 100tick, 200tick, and 300tick. Now click "Arrange Vertically". The command works fine. Let's pretend MC ordered the Charts, right to left; 200tick, 300tick, 100tick.

Now try and change the order from right to left by clicking each chart window in the order that you want them to appear. Let's say; 100tick, 200tick, 300 tick. Normally, if you clicked "Arrange vertically" each window would re-arrange itself in the order you desired. But not so in ver 3. The chart windows remain in the original order that MC pre-decided for you. If you want them arranged differently, you must drag them into position.

Now let's say you minimize the 300tick window and click "Arrange vertically". The command works fine. the 300tick chart window is minimized to the bottom of the workspace and the 2 remaining windows are properly arranged and taking up 1/2 of the workspace each, side by side. but now try and get the two chart windows to change places by activating them in order and clicking "arrange vertically". They now stay where MC pre-decided, not where you would like them. Again, you must manually drag them to change their positions.

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

evdl

Re: Windows - Arrange bug

Postby evdl » 01 Apr 2015

Old thread:

Is there a way of arranging charts in a workspace in the order you want?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 01 Apr 2015

While selecting Arrange All under the Window tab, they will arrange themselves newest to oldest. Or you can select a window and have it come to the 1st position (top left).

I vote for a better way

evdl

Postby evdl » 01 Apr 2015

Thanks MAtricks.

With the options you mention it is not possible to arrange multiple charts in one workspace that is useful (as mentioned in the example in this thread).

I vote for a way.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 02 Apr 2015

Can you post an example screen shot a window setup that you'd like?

evdl

Postby evdl » 02 Apr 2015

Example of 5 charts in one workspace:

60tick, 300tick, 900tick, 2700tick, 8100tick

The order of charts should be as described. Only way to get this is to manually drag the charts at their place and fiddle around with the charts to get the same dimensions and to fit this to the workspace. The arrange all will randomly pick the order of the charts. Could be the newest ofcourse. But what if I added the chart of 900 tick the last. It will then be placed at the most left position. Not the biggest problem, but it must be something other users have been busy with.

The order of charts in the picture is what MC has decided.
Attachments
Example.png
(128.83 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times

MAtricks

Highlight the window you'd like last in position. Click arrange all. Select the window you'd likr 2nd to last. Click arrange all. Select the window you'd like 3rd to last. And so on

MAtricks

Or you can control-alt-C and control-alt-P with your windows in the order you'd like them. The select arrange all.

There are a lot of tricks to this... But obviously Mc should have a better way

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Apr 2015

Example of 5 charts in one workspace:
60tick, 300tick, 900tick, 2700tick, 8100tick
The order of charts should be as described. Only way to get this is to manually drag the charts at their place and fiddle around with the charts to get the same dimensions and to fit this to the workspace. The arrange all will randomly pick the order of the charts. Could be the newest ofcourse. But what if I added the chart of 900 tick the last. It will then be placed at the most left position. Not the biggest problem, but it must be something other users have been busy with.
The order of charts in the picture is what MC has decided.
I don't understand the problem...

Once you have manually arranged the charts to your liking,
you can save the wsp,
and every time you call up this wsp,
you will have the charts arranged the same way.

This is only a one time pain.

It would be a lot more painful if there are options of 20 different ways to arrange the charts,
and you have to skim through all the options in the list in order to pick the one you like.

evdl

Postby evdl » 02 Apr 2015

@Matricks: what ever chart I highlight, MC is arranging the charts always the same. Like it remembers the order. Even if I hussle them around. It will always revert back to the same order when using arrange all.

@TJ: not a biggie, but there are two problems. One is that MC after restart often shows charts in a workspace not aligned. So there are spaces between them. Usually arrange all solves that, unless it remembers the not desired order.

Two is: that sometimes you want to look at two or three of the charts a little better. And make some charts not visible (they are moved to the bottomleft of the screen). Then the remaining charts you want to align. Have to do that manually again. Trying to make the charts the same size you have to fiddle somewhat. Because the arrange all button will choose it's own order. It is not that you make a workspace and never change the charts. At least not for me.

MAtricks

All the methods work. Please give it another try.

See this quick video of how I organize these charts from lightest to darkest:

http://screencast.com/t/aKSLB4Tx

that's one of many ways of doing this...

TJ,
This is not a one time arrangement. Chart setups degrade and lose their positions over time with MC. This bug has been confirmed and is being fixed in 9.1.

evdl

Postby evdl » 03 Apr 2015

Ctrl-alt P is the shortcut for fibonnaci speed, and ctrl-alt C is not doing anything.

When the charts are arranged vertically, you can not use the arrange all button, because that will undo the vertical arrangement. The solution would be to make the "arrange vertically" behave the same as the "arrange all" button. So you can highlight the chart you want to sort and then use the "arrange vertically" option to change the position of the chart in the vertical arrangement.

It looks like we have to wait, till mc finds the time to change this, if they want to. They have a full agenda, I assume. So for now I will keep arranging the charts manually.

Thanks for taking the time to make a video MAtricks.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 03 Apr 2015

Sorry.. control-shift-c (copy) and control-shift-P (paste)

The features work.. Just not very elegantly. Play around a bit. I promise its doable.

Return to “MultiCharts”