Chart trading orders and re-starting MC

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tozwp

Chart trading orders and re-starting MC

Postby tozwp » 05 Oct 2014

Last week I entered new trades and then used the master strategy to set up profit targets and stops. Over the weekend, I shut down MC. Starting up MC Sunday afternoon the charts show my profit targets and my intial stops as these orders reside at the broker. In the master strategy I also set up a breakeven stop. At the close Friday, this breakeven stop was not active (trigger price not met yet). This breakeven stop does not show up on my chart now.

Is there a way to keep the master strategy conditions so that on a MC restart, those orders remain in place? If not, how do I recreate the stop that is missing? Do I just need to drag and drop a new breakeven order on the open position? I have multiple open trades and would prefer to not re-create orders on open positions on weekends after a pc shutdown if this is possible. Will any inactive orders (orders that have not been triggered) also disappear from a chart on a MC shut down/restart?

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Chart trading orders and re-starting MC

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 06 Oct 2014

Hello tozwp,

Unfortunately, if an order is not yet actiuve (it is still transparent) when you close MC, this order is cancelled. After MC is restarted you can manually put the breakeven on the open position. The only way to avoid this is to wait till the breakeven order (that is the part of your master strategy) is activated and placed before closing MultiCharts.

tozwp

Postby tozwp » 06 Oct 2014

Thanks Andrew. I thought that might be the case so on my open orders I added break even stop orders. Overnight, on one of my charts, price went through a trigger but the stop order was not activated (it is still transparent). Now I'm really confused! I'll attach a picture showing what I see.

In the pic, 25,660 USD.CAD was bought on the previous bar. The master strategy was used to set up an initial stop at 1.10705 (still active) and two profit levels (one hit overnight but not executed - assume it was the broker as it was at the exact high tick). On restarting MC yesterday, the break even stop was gone as discussed above so I added a break even stop order with the trigger at 1.12875. Overnight, price went through the level but the stop is not activated as it is still a transparent order on the screen and the trigger level is still showing.

One other question, if the first partial profit order had been executed, would the breakeven stop be reduced by the amount of shares sold at the partial profit limit order? (Assuming that the breakeven stop had been activated.)
Attachments
BEstopNotActivated.PNG
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

Andrew MultiCharts

In the pic, 25,660 USD.CAD was bought on the previous bar. The master strategy was used to set up an initial stop at 1.10705 (still active) and two profit levels (one hit overnight but not executed - assume it was the broker as it was at the exact high tick). On restarting MC yesterday, the break even stop was gone as discussed above so I added a break even stop order with the trigger at 1.12875. Overnight, price went through the level but the stop is not activated as it is still a transparent order on the screen and the trigger level is still showing.
If you still haven't closed MultiCharts, please send us logs.
One other question, if the first partial profit order had been executed, would the breakeven stop be reduced by the amount of shares sold at the partial profit limit order? (Assuming that the breakeven stop had been activated.)
It depends on what mode of exit strategies for manual trading is selected.

tozwp

Thanks Andrew, logs were sent.

Andrew MultiCharts

From the logs we can see that the highest price at broker since the moment you places the breakeven exit order was 1.2572; on the screenshot we can see that the highest price for the day was 1.12655 (in the status line). Judging by this info, the price jumped on the chart and the exit strategies (including the breakeven) are based not on chart prices, but on broker prices, which never crossed the trigger level according to logs.

tozwp

Thanks Andrew, looks like some sort of bad data then. Reloading the data doesn't get rid of that spike either. New to chart trading and testing this on a dummy account first. Sounds like it is running as it should be.

Return to “MultiCharts”