Can Excel 32 be able to read GlobalVariable.dll 64  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Can Excel 32 be able to read GlobalVariable.dll 64

Postby arjfca » 11 Oct 2014

Hello
I'm trying MC64 to see if I can run my indicators.

One of then is capturing data using a mouse click and store the value in Global Variable. Once copied, I click on a macro button in Excel to transfer the data.

For the moment, it's not working and I suspect that it is because Excel is expecting to read .dll file in 32 not in 64

If so, is there any way to do it?

Can I use a .TXT file to transfer info. Will I get the same problem?

Martin

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Can Excel 32 be able to read GlobalVariable.dll 64

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Oct 2014

Hello Martin,

Most likely 64 bit Excel is required for working with 64 bit GlobalVariable.dll.
TXT files can be used for transferring the information.

arjfca

Re: Can Excel 32 be able to read GlobalVariable.dll 64  [SOLVED]

Postby arjfca » 13 Oct 2014

Hello Martin,

Most likely 64 bit Excel is required for working with 64 bit GlobalVariable.dll.
TXT files can be used for transferring the information.
Hello Henry
I resolved the problem by passing the information through a text file

Martin

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 13 Oct 2014

Hello

One of then is capturing data using a mouse click and store the value in Global Variable. Once copied, I click on a macro button in Excel to transfer the data.

For the moment, it's not working and I suspect that it is because Excel is expecting to read .dll file in 32 not in 64

Martin
Martin, Slightly off-topic. But you have mentioned this many times that you capture data using a mouse click and store the value in GV. Then you copy the data via to macro to excel.

Will you please explain why you do such a thing, what purpose it serves and how it helps in your trading process. I have hard time understanding exactly what this accomplishes, when do you decide its time to capture data using a mouse click and how you use this information. Thanks for enlightening.

arjfca

Hello

Martin
Martin, Slightly off-topic. But you have mentioned this many times that you capture data using a mouse click and store the value in GV. Then you copy the data via to macro to excel.

Will you please explain why you do such a thing, what purpose it serves and how it helps in your trading process. I have hard time understanding exactly what this accomplishes, when do you decide its time to capture data using a mouse click and how you use this information. Thanks for enlightening.
Hilbert,

I design a trading platform in Excel that allow me to control nearly all aspect of a trade. And most important for me, orders are placed directly on Interactive Broker server. They don't reside in my PC

To allow transferring entry point, a mouse click on a bar will capture it's data, then a click on the appropriate cell will capture either, the body, the upper/lower tail, high, low

Then once my risk calculated, system suggest me the qty, entry , stop, price target. Another click and order sent with all parameters to the broker
Excel Trading Plateform.jpg
(232.46 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
Martin

hilbert

I design a trading platform in Excel that allow me to control nearly all aspect of a trade. And most important for me, orders are placed directly on Interactive Broker server. They don't reside in my PC

To allow transferring entry point, a mouse click on a bar will capture it's data, then a click on the appropriate cell will capture either, the body, the upper/lower tail, high, low

Then once my risk calculated, system suggest me the qty, entry , stop, price target. Another click and order sent with all parameters to the broker
Martin
Great and Thanks for your quick answer. I have follow-up questions, if you can respond.

1) What are the advantages of having so many manual steps instead of letting MC send orders for you?
2) You mention after you transfer the bar data to excel, and click another cell to capture either body, high/low etc., then "system" calculates your qty,entry,stop etc. Are we talking of your manual trading here. And "system" that you talk about is just your money management rules? In case you are talking about a strategy, then how do you know in advance that your strategy order is going to come? Because then only you will mouse click on a bar to capture its data?

Sorry for questions, but I am sure there must be advantages to your approach and I am just trying to understand them. Thanks :)

arjfca

Martin
Great and Thanks for your quick answer. I have follow-up questions, if you can respond.

1) What are the advantages of having so many manual steps instead of letting MC send orders for you?
2) You mention after you transfer the bar data to excel, and click another cell to capture either body, high/low etc., then "system" calculates your qty,entry,stop etc. Are we talking of your manual trading here. And "system" that you talk about is just your money management rules? In case you are talking about a strategy, then how do you know in advance that your strategy order is going to come? Because then only you will mouse click on a bar to capture its data?

Sorry for questions, but I am sure there must be advantages to your approach and I am just trying to understand them. Thanks :)
Hilbert,

I do trade manually, no automatic system
Like mention, I do control nearly all aspect. Sometime, I could enter on a stop, other time on a limit or at market. I could modify my entry price, move my stop and qty automatically adjusted. I could opted to double my risk or cut it in half. I could limit my qty to be max 1 lot or whatever qty. I could see what is my risk in my money denomination ( CAD)

My sheet is build around what I want to see or do. When I did start to work on my sheet, trading from MC chart was not available. So the sheet was there to calculate all aspect and prevent some typing error.

But over all, my main aspect is to be able to send my order directly on IB server. PC could fail or be turn off, limit and stop will always be executed.

My trade or based on price only, I do have my rules and reason to enter in the market. Only when I see an opportunity that I will capture my data on the chart, built my order and send it to IB.

Hope it answer your question

Martin

hilbert

I do trade manually, no automatic system
Like mention, I do control nearly all aspect. Sometime, I could enter on a stop, other time on a limit or at market. I could modify my entry price, move my stop and qty automatically adjusted. I could opted to double my risk or cut it in half. I could limit my qty to be max 1 lot or whatever qty. I could see what is my risk in my money denomination ( CAD)

My sheet is build around what I want to see or do. When I did start to work on my sheet, trading from MC chart was not available. So the sheet was there to calculate all aspect and prevent some typing error.

But over all, my main aspect is to be able to send my order directly on IB server. PC could fail or be turn off, limit and stop will always be executed.

My trade or based on price only, I do have my rules and reason to enter in the market. Only when I see an opportunity that I will capture my data on the chart, built my order and send it to IB.

Hope it answer your question

Martin
Martin, Many Thanks for explaining your trading setup in detail. Now, I understand the logic behind your that spreadsheet. You have a great day! Thanks again.

Return to “MultiCharts”