Error - Cannot connect to Currency Server

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TA100

Error - Cannot connect to Currency Server

Postby TA100 » 30 Oct 2014

This error just turned OFF 20 charts after a reboot despite have collected quotes for gbpusd and eurusd (I checked) in the Server.

The charts affected are now set to USD rather than GBP yet they still won't startup. Other indicators which were not gbpusd related just STOPPED working today - does this mean MC can only run for 4 days running before throwing a wobbler?

Frankly I'm stunned - didn't anyone at MC actually think of the implications of automatically turning off charts that use a currency conversion (even on the basis the currency conversion is available) ? Inputting a conversion factor in a report once a while is a great deal more preferable than spending 2-3 hours rebuilding charts!

Providing the error resolves itself is there a way to turn off currency conversion since I wouldn't want the same issue again. Is the problem a

1- Currency conversion Server problem
2- Bug
3- Anti virus issue / firewall issue

And if MC can't connect to the currency Server surely the conversion ought to made at the last known/stored rate with a warning flashing up rather than turning off charts which is a ballistic option?

UPDATE: a further reboot restores the ability to switch from reset USD to a.n.other currency and back to usd - where upon the charts come up, however still no connection to currency server.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Error - Cannot connect to Currency Server

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Oct 2014

Hello MichaelS,

We have not experienced any issues with the connection to the currency conversion servers. None of the other users have reported any issues with this functionality as well.

Please try completely disabling your antivirus and firewall. If you still have this error please attach a screenshot demonstrating it and send us the logs or come to our live chat to demonstrate the issue remotely Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 2.45 pm EST. If you want to disable the currency conversion on your charts you need to go to Format->Strategy properties->Properties->Base Currency: None.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 31 Oct 2014

Henry,
I cannot even rebuild the chart because a new chart auto fills the £ setting which cannot be altered and another error message flashes up.

Please ask your engineeers to look at this issue as a matter of urgency. None of the charts should be turned off just because a once a day search to a currency server cannot be fulfilled.

2 evenings in a row, after a trading day on a reboot I'm faced with this error message.

I've attached a gif from the server which shows gbpusd has been downloaded - so if the download is a not a problem why should opening my firewall help? perhaps you could explain?
Attachments
Completed_Download.PNG
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 1802 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Nov 2014

MichaelS, please provide the requested information or come to our live chat to demonstrate the issue remotely Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 2.45 pm EST.

TA100

Postby TA100 » 03 Nov 2014

MichaelS, please provide the requested information or come to our live chat to demonstrate the issue remotely Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 2.45 pm EST.

"Remarkably" the problem has now resolved itself and I appear to have regained twice the RAM which MC was using but for now for some reason does not require..... and I did not even alter my firewall.

Can I suggest Henry since some of your customers will start their day before you enter your office and end their day well after you leave that you have some live chat after the close of markets in the evening or at the weekend?
Last edited by TA100 on 03 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 03 Nov 2014

Can I suggest Henry since some of your customers will start their day before you enter your office and end their day well after you leave that you have some live chat at the weekend?
Very good idea from customer's point of view. One shortcoming would be that no live market would be available on Weekends for troubleshooting, and a lot of issues would happen only in live markets. :(

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Nov 2014

Can I suggest Henry since some of your customers will start their day before you enter your office and end their day well after you leave that you have some live chat after the close of markets in the evening or at the weekend?
Thank you for your suggestion. It has been forwarded to the management of the company.

korradok

Postby korradok » 08 Feb 2015

I have the same problem. I didn't have this issue fro months, but this night after the last update i have this error message again. I noticed that i have this issue on Monday only.
Please solve it soon

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Feb 2015

I have the same problem. I didn't have this issue fro months, but this night after the last update i have this error message again. I noticed that i have this issue on Monday only. Please solve it soon
Hello korradok,

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely. We will do our best to help you.

korradok

Postby korradok » 09 Feb 2015

Solved, thanks Henry

saltminer

Postby saltminer » 11 Feb 2015

I have this problem on two computers right now; my main trading computer and a Windows Server (2012).
In the Portfolio Trader during a backtest, the test is halted because "Cannot access Currency Conversion Server".
I am testing European equities. The exchange for the instruments has been correctly set for each, such as PAR, FRA, MACD, IDEM. All these are in Euro of course, my account is in USD.
If I swap the account to being in EUR, then US equities create the same error.

Please assist. I can't find any controls regarding the Currency server to try to tweak anything. I have adjusted the Windows Firewall on the server to allow all the MC apps through - no improvement.

I also have the problem when loading a European equity onto a chart and applying signals there (using a USD account). I'm dead in the water here.

Many thanks,
saltminer.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Feb 2015

I have this problem on two computers right now; my main trading computer and a Windows Server (2012).
In the Portfolio Trader during a backtest, the test is halted because "Cannot access Currency Conversion Server".
I am testing European equities. The exchange for the instruments has been correctly set for each, such as PAR, FRA, MACD, IDEM. All these are in Euro of course, my account is in USD.
If I swap the account to being in EUR, then US equities create the same error.

Please assist. I can't find any controls regarding the Currency server to try to tweak anything. I have adjusted the Windows Firewall on the server to allow all the MC apps through - no improvement.

I also have the problem when loading a European equity onto a chart and applying signals there (using a USD account). I'm dead in the water here.

Many thanks,
saltminer.
Hello saltminer,

Only MultiCharts Release 5 can be affected by this issue under certain circumstances. Attached are the hotfix files for resolving the issue.
Please save the file corresponding to your version of MultiCharts to your PC and unzip it. Then follow the instructions: How to install an updater.

By the end of the week we are going to upload new MultiCharts installers with the issue resolved.

!!!MultiCharts .NET updaters are in my next post below!!!
Attachments
90x32.zip
for 32 bit MultiCharts
(456.43 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
90x64.zip
for 64 bit MultiCharts
(506.42 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

saltminer

Postby saltminer » 12 Feb 2015

Thanks Henry.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to use the updater; text is below. However, it is great to hear you are on the case and I can wait til week's end for the official update.
Many thanks,
saltminer

Product: MultiCharts64
Path:
ERROR: '' doesn't exists.
Product probably is not installed.
Image:
WARNING: Image file doesn't exists
Version:

Action: 9.0 Release updater
File: CurConverter.dll, Copy: yes, Reg: no, RegAsm: no, Run: no, OSArch: X64
copy to:
DONE

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Feb 2015

saltminer,

What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)

saltminer

Postby saltminer » 12 Feb 2015

Hi Henry,
the mixup may be that I neglected to state I am using the .NET version. I'm on 9.0 x64 r5.
saltminer

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Feb 2015

Please find the updaters for MultiCharts .NET attached.
Attachments
90NETx32.zip
for 32 bit MultiCharts .NET
(456.35 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
90NETx64.zip
for 64 bit MultiCharts .NET
(625.32 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 Feb 2015

New builds (10758/10759) of MultiCharts 9.0 Release with the fix for the "Cannot access Currency Conversion Server" issue have been published on our website. Please update your MultiCharts to get the fix.

mcjohn

Postby mcjohn » 30 May 2015

I continue to get the cannot connect to conversion server error after updating to Version: 9.0.11210.
Even upon complete uninstall and reinstall of Version: 9.0.11210 the error remains.
Any advice? I am using the 64 bit version of Multicharts.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Jun 2015

I continue to get the cannot connect to conversion server error after updating to Version: 9.0.11210.
Even upon complete uninstall and reinstall of Version: 9.0.11210 the error remains.
Any advice? I am using the 64 bit version of Multicharts.
Hello mcjohn,

According to the log files that you have sent us on May 30th, the issue was caused by the currency conversion server being restarted for regular maintanance. The connection has been restored 8 minutes after your connection attempt. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Return to “MultiCharts”