Can Not Go back It Seems

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Feb 2008

Hello everybody,

Old workspaces are not converted. Instead, MultiCharts creates their copies in the new format. The old workspaces will still be there in the same directory you saved them to. Only they will have extenstion .old: name.wsp.old.

drwar

Postby drwar » 12 Feb 2008

[quote]Hello everybody,

Old workspaces are not converted. Instead, MultiCharts creates their copies in the new format. The old workspaces will still be there in the same directory you saved them to. Only they will have extenstion .old: name.wsp.old.[/quote]

Yes, couldn't you put them into a separate backup directory on copying instead of lumping in the old and new files together. For one or two workspaces its not a problem for 100 or so it is.

Marina Pashkova

Drwar,

I am not sure if posting or answering such comments is very productive. All the old workspaces are placed exactly where they used to be - not to complicate the things. I guess if we had created a new directory we'd be getting complaints that you can't find them anymore. We would really appreciate if you reported real problems - so that we could work on what really matters.

Regards.

drwar

[quote]Drwar,

I am not sure if posting or answering such comments is very productive. All the old workspaces are placed exactly where they used to be - not to complicate the things. I guess if we had created a new directory we'd be getting complaints that you can't find them anymore. We would really appreciate if you reported real problems - so that we could work on what really matters.

Regards.[/quote]
Repectfully,

If you don't see the logic in what I suggested. Then its beyond me. Absolutely no one in the right mind is going to do a backup in the same directory as their original files. When you lump everything together it just makes it more difficult to organize backup and maintain your MC setup And as far as reporting real problems, If you want to go there, their are Multiple Multiple problems remaining back from version 2 I reported that haven't been fixed. When I have time I will go thru my notes and post them. And while we are on the topic. Have you ever heard of release notes. Release notes that would tell people there old workspaces we copied and renamed so they didn't have to ask. Release notes, so people wouldn't have to post questions asking you to post what was new in each release over and over. It seems like what you are complaining about is the problem YOU are creating yourself because things are not being done as per std practice. You are creating your own issues.

J~

Marina Pashkova

drwar,

We do know what release notes are. We also know what agile software development is. We do publish release notes - to describe the fixes and features in new RELEASES. However, publishing notes for every single beta, given that we release new builds every few days, would be problematic and extremely resource-consuming. This would divert the resources needed to help the customers with real issues.

We always welcome bug reports, comments and feature requests. However, when they are expressed the way you normally do (complaining and attacking) somehow the desire to help dwindles. It's easy to complain, attack, and give advice. Actually doing something is a bit more difficult.

Also, if you can't sort out files by extension - which would make handling them quite easy - it's probably time to do so.

Finally, from now on we will ignore all your 'requests' and 'comments' made using the kind of tone you usually resort to.

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2008

Hello everybody,

Old workspaces are not converted. Instead, MultiCharts creates their copies in the new format. The old workspaces will still be there in the same directory you saved them to. Only they will have extenstion .old: name.wsp.old.
arh... ic... yes, they are there. Thank you.
d

drwar: moving all the old ext to a folder of your choice is not too much work. I would rather have them where they are than have to go all over the places to look for them.

drwar

There was no Tone whatsoever in the comment you went off on.

"Yes, couldn't you put them into a separate backup directory on copying instead of lumping in the old and new files together. For one or two workspaces its not a problem for 100 or so it is."

If the description of what you are doing "lumping in the old and new files together" offends you then don't do it, It was neither a complaint nor an attack. It was a suggestion, a description and an explanation as to the effect on a user. If you don't want to have release notes for beta'a then don't. but then don't use complaints about people not knowing where the files are as an argument for not backing them up as they should be.
Has there been tone in other comments? their probably has. But frankly lots of us have been patiently waiting for fixs and features that were promised years ago and we now are disappointed to see features such as the startup backfilling, which is just an illusion of sorts, push these things farther off.

J~

drwar

[quote][quote]Hello everybody,
drwar: moving all the old ext to a folder of your choice is not too much work. I would rather have them where they are than have to go all over the places to look for them.[/quote]

TJ
I understand your comments but disagree. I always backup everything before installing any new version and its copied off into a separate folder and that is backed up to a network drive. If they want to code something to do it automatically then do it all the way into a different folder its just as easy. When you a zillion workspaces mixing them up causes issues. Missing a workspace or two in the backup can cause hours of pain. Were not talking about rocket science , it was just a suggestion. Frankly I was glad to see they were backed up period. Too much time has been spent on this subject and I will end my contribution here.

Regards

J~

Return to “MultiCharts”