Embedding DOM into Workspace  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Embedding DOM into Workspace

Postby bensat » 05 Nov 2014

Dear Support,

I kindly ask you it is possible to get a DOM window embedded on a fixed place in a workspace and will it be included in the workspace when I close and open the workspace and will it be on the same place like before ? I already tried to find a solution and made a search in the forum, but couldn't find anything so far.

Whenever I open a DOM in a workspace, it is always disconnected to the workspace it self. When I click in a chart the DOM window disappears and I have to select the DOM again to have it besides a chart or in a workspace.

I would like to re-open a workspace and find the windows (charts & DOM) on the same place and like in the screenshot.

Thank you.

My Regards.

Ben

MAtricks

Re: Embedding DOM into Workspace

Postby MAtricks » 05 Nov 2014

Great suggestion. I'd add that each window should have it's own DOM. I covered this a while back here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46075

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Embedding DOM into Workspace  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Nov 2014

Hello Ben,

At the moment there are 2 ways of using the DOM windows in MultiCharts:
1. Docked DOM window. View -> Show DOM window. This DOM window is "per instance" - shown on all workspaces. It can be shown or hidden.
2. Regular individual DOM window. File -> New -> DOM window. This DOM window can be placed anywhere on your screen and it can be stuck to be displayed always on top, it is always detached, but can be shown only when a particular workspace is selected (Window tab->uncheck "Show detached windows in inactive workspace). It will remain on it's place when you save the workspace and open it up the next time.

If the existing solutions do not work for you - please submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 05 Nov 2014

Hi Ben,
DOMs are attached to workspace. Its just that it is little tricky to figure this out. I had the same confusion 2-3 weeks ago. You just need to go to windows -> unclick Show Detached Windows in Inactive Workspaces. You save your workspaces with DOMs open and when you reopen your workspaces, DOMs appear in their place. Before posting, I just tested it and it works.

Refer to the below post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47301#p109387

hilbert

Great suggestion. I'd add that each window should have it's own DOM. I covered this a while back here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46075
I am afraid but I think there could be an unintended performance hit from this request. Many MC users have multiple charts open for one symbol. E.g. I have generally 4 different charts open for same symbol. So, I have 4 charts open for ES, 4 open for CL etc. If you embed DOMs into each open chart, it will increase chart load time, increase memory footprint for the software, and overall use more computer resources.

For manual trading, most traders would have 2-4 DOMs open. I think instead of embedding DOMs in each chart, it makes much more sense to open those 2-4 even 6-8 DOMs if that is what you need and link them to specific charts. Thus you have your DOMs that are linked to charts and software also doesn't get bogged down by embedding excessive objects in each chart.

MAtricks

The button to turn each window's DOM off would take care of that wouldn't it?

hilbert

The button to turn each window's DOM off would take care of that wouldn't it?
I think it won't. The reason is we know that memory footprint of a scanner is less than that of a chart. In words of Henry "Scanner window utilizes less memory than chart window. It does not require creating additional windows, chart trading panel, trading, strategy and drawing objects."
Pls refer:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47317

So, I guess if DOMs are embeded into each chart by default, even if you turn it off, it will increase the overall memory footprint and CPU usage of the software, since you are incorporating one more object into a chart. Net result could be that it ends up making the software less stable. The alternate workaround of having 2-4-6 DOMs open and linking them to charts and saving those workspaces seems more straightforward and less risky to me.

My 2 cents and I am not a software engineer! :)

MAtricks

If it increases the processing footprint of each window while not being active then I'd vote no on my own suggestion :) MC is already way too heavy..

bensat

Hi Ben,
DOMs are attached to workspace. Its just that it is little tricky to figure this out. I had the same confusion 2-3 weeks ago. You just need to go to windows -> unclick Show Detached Windows in Inactive Workspaces. You save your workspaces with DOMs open and when you reopen your workspaces, DOMs appear in their place. Before posting, I just tested it and it works.

Refer to the below post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47301#p109387
Thanks for your thoughts. But still clicking in the chart the DOM disappears. So seems like it's not possible, no problem.

Thank you all.

Regards.

Ben

hilbert

Thanks for your thoughts. But still clicking in the chart the DOM disappears. So seems like it's not possible, no problem.
It doesn't disappear when you click on charts. You will need to click on "Stick Window" (on the top line of DOM window, it is located next to windows maximize, minimize buttons on DOM window).

bensat

It doesn't disappear when you click on charts. You will need to click on "Stick Window" (on the top line of DOM window, it is located next to windows maximize, minimize buttons on DOM window).
I know and thank you again. The problem is that the DOM then stays on top of everything.

Regards.

Ben

Return to “MultiCharts”