Vertically shifting a chart  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
AussieTrader

Vertically shifting a chart

Postby AussieTrader » 13 Nov 2014

Hi Team,

Just started using multicharts recently, I have a question regarding adding indicators to the chart.

I noticed if I add more than 4 or 5 moving averages to a chart, then if I try to vertically scale or shift the chart, the movement becomes a little 'lagging', of course I found the more moving averages are added to the chart, the more obvious and difficult to move the chart vertically.

I wonder if there is a way to overcome this. I have used esignal and NT a lot in the past, they don't seem to have the problem.

I switched to Multicharts because the portfolio backtesting is great.

Thank you all.

Lux

TJ

Re: Vertically shifting a chart

Postby TJ » 13 Nov 2014

Hi Team,
Just started using multicharts recently, I have a question regarding adding indicators to the chart.
I noticed if I add more than 4 or 5 moving averages to a chart, then if I try to vertically scale or shift the chart, the movement becomes a little 'lagging', of course I found the more moving averages are added to the chart, the more obvious and difficult to move the chart vertically.
I wonder if there is a way to overcome this. I have used esignal and NT a lot in the past, they don't seem to have the problem.
I switched to Multicharts because the portfolio backtesting is great.
Thank you all.
Lux
Are you using a notebook computer?

The number of indicators, whether moving average or any other indicator, should not affect the chart shifting in the vertical axis. Because the indicators are not recalculated by MultiCharts. Only the graphics is shifted.

AussieTrader

Postby AussieTrader » 14 Nov 2014

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am using a desktop computer. I understand what you are saying. but I do feel there is quite a difference when shifting a chart with multiple moving averages in the vertical axis when compared to doing it to a naked chart.

Maybe it is just my chart, and it is caused by some setting I have for Multicharts.

Would you mind loading say five or more moving averages onto your chart, and try to shift the chart vertically to see if there is difference from moving a naked chart vertically.

please kindly let me know the result , so I know if it is just my chart doing this.

Best Regards

Lux

TJ

Postby TJ » 14 Nov 2014

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I am using a desktop computer. I understand what you are saying. but I do feel there is quite a difference when shifting a chart with multiple moving averages in the vertical axis when compared to doing it to a naked chart.
Maybe it is just my chart, and it is caused by some setting I have for Multicharts.
Would you mind loading say five or more moving averages onto your chart, and try to shift the chart vertically to see if there is difference from moving a naked chart vertically.
please kindly let me know the result , so I know if it is just my chart doing this.
Best Regards
Lux
I regularly populate multiple screens with multiple instances of MultiCharts, and loaded them with thousands lines of codes, drawing objects, layers of plots, and multiple regression analysis.

I am using a 6 yrs old Q6600, with 8 GB of RAM.

I am sure most people here push their set up to the max, and they have a lot more than 5~6 moving averages.

AussieTrader

Postby AussieTrader » 14 Nov 2014

Thank you for your time, TJ.

I realise it must be from how I set my chart. thank you again.

Lux

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 14 Nov 2014

I tend to push MC to its limits :)

More indicators shouldn't add lag, but more visible bars will (zooming out).

Reply with a screen shot. We might be able to help you out if we see what's going on.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Nov 2014

We are currently analyzing this behavior.

bensat

Postby bensat » 19 Nov 2014

Please can you set <Max number of bars study will reference> to <User Specified> under <PROPERTIES> and pleas ebe so kind and tell us you see any improvements or not.

Thank you. Regards.

Ben

AussieTrader

Postby AussieTrader » 21 Nov 2014

Hi Ben,

After the changes, my chart still behaves the same vertically.

There must be a bug somewhere.

Best Regards

Lux

bensat

Postby bensat » 21 Nov 2014

Thank you for coming back. Here on my end, it sometimes works just to set the <MaxBarsBack> to 1 and improves performance. So I thought you may give it a try. The overall problem is that you can't limit plotting from <LastBarOnChart> without setting charts to <BarsBack> instead of <DaysBack>. But this may cause other problems.

Do you set your charts with <BarsBack> so you always have the data you need loaded only or you set it for <DaysBack> ? So to speak, if you want an average showing up for a period of max 200, you would not need 500 <BarsBack>. Further, loading & calculating all the data in one chart and exporting the values of the studies to another chart in the same timeframe via ADE/ELC can improve performance as well. Because the chart with the exported levels won't need calculating all the values for plotting while shifting the chart.

Regards.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Nov 2014

This issue will be fixed in MultiCharts 9.0 Release 4.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Vertically shifting a chart  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Dec 2014

This issue has been resolved in MultiCharts 9.0 Release 4 builds 10359/10360. You can download it here.

Return to “MultiCharts”