MC 9.0, AMP and CQG

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MC_Prog

MC 9.0, AMP and CQG

Postby MC_Prog » 03 Jan 2015

Hi.

I am currently demoing MC 9.0, AMP and CQG.

So far, the feed seems impressive. Deep history for individual futures contracts, large selection of symbols, no hiccups in pulling symbol defs or constructing continuous contracts.

I am interested to hear of the experiences of others (both good and not-so-good, if any) in recent times (MC 9) using this combination.

Feed-wise I'm interested in observed availability, latency, reliability, etc.

Broker-wise (AMP) I'm interested in accuracy of accounting, fills, ease of interaction with funding, customer service, and tech support, etc.

Or anything else I haven't thought to mention ...

Replies here and PMs are both welcome. Thanks to all who can contribute!

MAtricks

Re: MC 9.0, AMP and CQG

Postby MAtricks » 03 Jan 2015

So many observations, but I'll just list the ones that with affect a user.

CQG:
  • -Most importantly, the API was supposed to be rebuilt last month. I haven't heard anything about this yet. This is entirely the reason I've steered away from CQG with MC for the time being. New APIs seem to bring incredible headaches and I'm hoping that this one will workout smoothly.
    -Several year history for most symbols which includes tick and quote data (Bid/Ask/Trade)
    -Bid/Ask data is not synced up correctly with Trade data so that essentially renders the Bid/Ask data useless without a lot of work
    -Great reliability with MC
    -Low latency. Lower than Rithmic from my observations which is amazing.
    -As with most connections in MC, the data stops coming in after several days of being online without a restart. I've been restarting my MC at the close every day and that's kept me safe for years.
AMP:
  • -They're growing quickly.. too quickly for my comfort. Cheap commissions, very retail based, just turned into their own FCM... As with anything in finance: Fast upside=Fast downside. This is just an observation and an opinion which is based on nothing but watching the industry for a long time.
    -Broker connection will infrequently disconnect from MC. This turns off strats and can be a nightmare if it happens at just the right time.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 04 Jan 2015

Thanks MAtricks, good info.

I notice on the Brokers page ( https://www.multicharts.com/brokers/ ) that AMP has a yellow checkmark for OCO.

I'm used to IB, which has a green checkmark for OCO, and which operates exactly as I would want and expect, with OCO orders being immediately placed off of my personal machine, and therefore able to be executed even if I experience a local internet interruption.

I add also that I've noticed that the CQG API was recently incorporated directly into MC 9.0.

So, I have several questions for MC tech support:

Has the incorporation of the (latest?) CQG API directly into MC moved the OCO checkmark for AMP/CQG out of yellow status and into green status?

If not, is that because AMP/CQG does not offer that support at all, or because further work is needed on the MC side to take advantage of it?

For an OCO yellow checkmark in general, and for AMP/CQG currently in particular, does this mean that if breakout or fade entry OCO orders are placed, and then a local outage occurs, then filling of one of the entry orders will still leave the other one active and uncancelable until after local service is restored?
Last edited by MC_Prog on 04 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 04 Jan 2015

Another specific question for anyone who has used MC with AMP/CQG:

Is there a way to monitor orders and positions at the broker other than the Order and Position Tracker in MC itself?

I ask because I am used to the IB/TWS situation where I can see the status of orders and position both in the MC O&PT and in IB/TWS. (This makes it easy to be sure what is really going on.)

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Jan 2015

The best way to monitor your futures positions is through the actual CME with their FirmSoft portal. I find it more reliable for the obvious reasons of removing 3rd parties and going to the actual markets.

https://login.cmegroup.com/sso/navmenu.action

I'm unsure of a CQG tool to monitor positions.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Jan 2015

Has the incorporation of the (latest?) CQG API directly into MC moved the OCO checkmark for AMP/CQG out of yellow status and into green status?

If not, is that because AMP/CQG does not offer that support at all, or because further work is needed on the MC side to take advantage of it?
CQG COM API that is currently being used for connection does not support OCO groups.
For an OCO yellow checkmark in general, and for AMP/CQG currently in particular, does this mean that if breakout or fade entry OCO orders are placed, and then a local outage occurs, then filling of one of the entry orders will still leave the other one active and uncancelable until after local service is restored?
That is correct. The OCO is being monitored by MultiCharts. If one of the orders from the OCO group is filled by broker but MultiCharts is not connected to the broker at this moment - orders remain unchanged/not cancelled and an overfill is possible.
Is there a way to monitor orders and positions at the broker other than the Order and Position Tracker in MC itself?
You should be able to check your orders/positions in CQG Trader, but you need to ask your broker for a second login for accessing the same account from MultiCharts and CQG Trader at the same time.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 05 Jan 2015

CQG COM API that is currently being used for connection does not support OCO groups.
Thanks Henry.

So, do I understand correctly that the

CQG Data API
http://www.cqg.com/Products/CQG-API/CQG ... a-API.aspx

and the

CQG Trading API
http://www.cqg.com/Products/CQG-API/CQG ... g-API.aspx

are two separate things, and that

a) MultiCharts currently builds-in the CQG Data API only

b) (all?) brokers offering CQG data via MultiCharts are actually routing orders via some other mechanism, but NOT the CQG Trading API

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 05 Jan 2015

Also, is there a release date for the upcoming new CQG API?

trim

Postby trim » 05 Jan 2015

I have been following this thread with interest as I have same concern that started this thread... I want to stay with AMP and CQG but this issue of how OCO is handled is too scary for me.. an unexpected market move or "crash" etc would leave me too vulnerable if I have an open trade with an OCO in place.

I am not clear if I understand correctly what is being suggested in the thread and that is.... is AMP working with CQG to change this so OCO will eventually be server side and if so with who's server??

Thank you for opening this thread it is a major concern to me as I am wanting to open an trading account but not before I understand just what is happening re this OCO function.

Finally am I right in saying that the only broker providing this server side OCO for an MC user is Interactive Brokers (IB) ??

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Jan 2015

MC_Prog, these two APIs are two separate things, each pursuing its own purpose and providing the necessary functionality. We support both - data access and trading, using the COM API. I believe the links you have specified above are referring to the COM API.

Henry MultiСharts

Also, is there a release date for the upcoming new CQG API?
MAtricks, CQG has postponed switching to the new API.
At the moment we do not have any ETA when they are going to do the switch.

Henry MultiСharts

I am not clear if I understand correctly what is being suggested in the thread and that is.... is AMP working with CQG to change this so OCO will eventually be server side and if so with who's server??
trim, we are not aware of such plans in regards to COM API.

Return to “MultiCharts”