Beta corrupted database.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
drwar

Beta corrupted database.

Postby drwar » 17 Feb 2008

Since loading several updates of the Beta's uninstalling and going back to the 999 version. I found holes in my data I have been unable to fill. Further I loaded esignal advanced charts and was succesfull in viewing the data. I did several tests to try and force it to fill the holes. One was to set the symbol data parameters to exactly the dates spanning the hole. After several attempts this worked so I attempted to set the symbol parameters back to the original dates only to find it would not find all my history data anymore. Luckily I have backups of the database from before loading the beta. Just another suggestion to anyone upgrading to the betas to be meticulous in backing up before you leap.

J~

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Feb 2008

Theoretically upgrade doesn't affect your databases, so it is not clear what is wrong with your databases. we need more information about your settings in Preferences.

drwar

Postby drwar » 18 Feb 2008

[quote]Theoretically upgrade doesn't affect your databases, so it is not clear what is wrong with your databases. we need more information about your settings in Preferences.[/quote]

Something happend during multiple attempts to fill the holes. I finally did get them filled but when they were I lost all the history data for that symbol which now seems to be exhaustrabated by the fact that esignal is only allowing 10 days of download.

Preferences are Online - Fill holes

J~

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Feb 2008

It is very interesting, because MC works this way: if you have data and want to refresh it, MC downloads data from eSignal serves and simply replaces it. If eSignal says no data, MultiCharts will not override existing data. So what you are describing is definitely bug, but the main question is how to reproduce it to fix...

drwar

Postby drwar » 18 Feb 2008

[quote]It is very interesting, because MC works this way: if you have data and want to refresh it, MC downloads data from eSignal serves and simply replaces it. If eSignal says no data, MultiCharts will not override existing data. So what you are describing is definitely bug, but the main question is how to reproduce it to fix...[/quote]

Andrew
As you know I am having fits with the 10 day limit with esignal which seems to all of a sudden appeared, keep that in mind. When I was able to fill the hole what I did was select the next day after the begining of the hole and the last day of the hole. And amaziingly it filled this once. These dates were further back than 10 days. So It totally confused me as to what was going on. I then reset the symbol dates and tried to load the full chart. Thats when it became apparent I lost the data. as it would only go back to the begining of where the orginal hole began. Of course I was able to copy in a backup but now I still have the holes. and despite the data loss there appears to be a real esignal limitation which is what forced the condition that lost the data to begin with.

J~

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Feb 2008

It is very interesting, because MC works this way: if you have data and want to refresh it, MC downloads data from eSignal serves and simply replaces it. If eSignal says no data, MultiCharts will not override existing data. So what you are describing is definitely bug, but the main question is how to reproduce it to fix...
Sadly I can not help to reproduce it though sometime in the past (maybe distant past) I think I have seen similar behaviour. Could it be that the data provider sometimes returns "null data" rather than "no data" i.e. MC thinks there is new data but really its just 'null'. Being able to specify a range of data to download may be of some help.

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 19 Feb 2008

Hi Andrew /others
I have experienced similar problems with MC and eSignal
Once there is a block of data between current time and end of last data file,(EG.Last data,missing data, data block, misssing data,current day)
MC doesn’t fill back past the data block,meaning it wont take the ticks from eSignal to fill the gap before the last block of data
My way around this was to Delete all data back to where last data was,close MC,reboot,loadMC and a new tick chart ensuring tick dates selected go back past the the last data date,
Also do same for minute charts
This should then collect max eSignal ticks about 3 months(+/- as I cant remember eSignal max,certainly more than 10 days)
Regards
Milton

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 25 Feb 2008

Milton,
Thank you for the information. Our quality assurance team has attempted to replicate the problem for last several days. However all our attempts were unsuccessful. So could you try to kill the MC processes (to emulate crash) and see if the problem occurs. If it is the case let us know.

Return to “MultiCharts”