point or tick value configuration for backtesting

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
itai007

point or tick value configuration for backtesting

Postby itai007 » 18 Feb 2008

Hi.

Attached you can find screen shot showing that for the XGH8 symbol which is the dax future through IQfeed , the settings in the backtesting for point value is 100$ but should be 25 Euro.

For some reason you cant search for the Dax future through the IQfeed API so you need to manualy add this symbol (and others). By doing so , I assume MC doesn't get the exchange properties for it and all though I manualychosen (1/100 , 50 for min move and 100 for big point) , the backtesting still shows 100$ for this assets point value.

How can I modify this and why cant I change the BT settings regardless of the symbols settings..... ?
Attachments
backtesting.PNG
screen shot showing settings I cant change
(253.59 KiB) Downloaded 1651 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Feb 2008

PointValue in the SPR is a bigpoint value. So if you typed 100 in QM, it will show 100 in the SPR.
I assume you want to see min move dollar value. You can see that it works properly in Trade List.
However I believe that you use wrong settings -
"I manualychosen (1/100 , 50 for min move and 100 for big point)"

It means you will have $50 for min movement, because $ min movement value = MinMove / PriceScale * BigPointValue

itai007

PointValue in the SPR is a bigpoint value. So if you typed 100 in QM, it will show 100 in the SPR.
I assume you want to see min move dollar value. You can see that it works properly in Trade List.
However I believe that you use wrong settings -
"I manualychosen (1/100 , 50 for min move and 100 for big point)"

It means you will have $50 for min movement, because $ min movement value = MinMove / PriceScale * BigPointValue
so ... ?
what exactly can I do to A - have the correct settings for an IQfeed that needs to be manually setup.
B - or change manually the settings in the BT report ... ?
You have settings tab there but cant be changed ...

Andrew Kirillov

Please set it in QM manually.

itai007

cant chage tht

Please set it in QM manually.
If I understand correctly, you are suggesting I set the dax follows

1/100

min move 12.5

big point 50

if so , this then screws up the charts scale and other indicators that use this....

but the SPR might then show 50$ (euro) for 1 point ... ?

Andrew Kirillov

PriceScale = 1/100
BigPointValue = 25
Min movement =50

As a result a dollar value of minimal movement will be $12.5.

Don't forget to restart charts!

itai007

PriceScale = 1/100
BigPointValue = 25
Min movement =50

As a result a dollar value of minimal movement will be $12.5.

Don't forget to restart charts!
I think its time you guys enable us users to simply change or modify the setting in the SPR backtesting thing ....

instead.

thanks for the help

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 19 Feb 2008

Itai,
I don't think I understand your suggestion. Why does one need add additional SPR setting if we already make something that works?
All things I told you are described in our Help system.

itai007

Postby itai007 » 19 Feb 2008

Itai,
I don't think I understand your suggestion. Why does one need add additional SPR setting if we already make something that works?
All things I told you are described in our Help system.
Well if for example you use a marketprofile or MD indicator on you chart , then the price movement on the chart and tick point value are important and can not be altered.

If I try what you recommend change the dax future which has a min move of 0.5 per tick ,
to
price scale 1/100 ,
min move 50
big point value 25

then all those indicators like the above mentioned will get screwed up and so the hole system will .....

Unless I dont understand and basically what you are telling me is that the tick move on the chart is only affected by what I have in min move settings and not by all the rest and so other indicators will not be affected by the above settings example ....

please advise.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Feb 2008

Itail,
I’m sure that you can you use your indicators with the settings successfully. You should understand that
price scale
min move
big point value
are basis settings that you need to calculate anything in your indicators. If you need “dax future which has a min move of 0.5 per tick”
then simply set proper settings in QM and use minmove/pricescale in your script. Many developers use the settings without any problems.
The only thing that is critical is to have proper settings in QM.

itai007

Postby itai007 » 20 Feb 2008

Itail,
I’m sure that you can you use your indicators with the settings successfully. You should understand that
price scale
min move
big point value
are basis settings that you need to calculate anything in your indicators. If you need “dax future which has a min move of 0.5 per tick”
then simply set proper settings in QM and use minmove/pricescale in your script. Many developers use the settings without any problems.
The only thing that is critical is to have proper settings in QM.
thanks

birdman3000

Re: point or tick value configuration for backtesting

Postby birdman3000 » 10 Jul 2018

Is there an easy way to find this information (price scale, minmove, big point value) for a range of futures contracts? Or is there an update that allows the correct settings to come through from IQfeed into the QuoteManager? Or do we have to manually update each contract?

For example there is this site https://www.barchart.com/futures/contra ... ons/metals but it does not give the price scale.

Thanks.

Anna MultiCharts

Re: point or tick value configuration for backtesting

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 24 Jul 2018

Hello, birdman3000!

There were no improvements in this respect. The settings for the symbols are taken from the Symbol Dictionary (for futures), from exchange or symbol settings. Symbol Dictionary for symbol contains correct parameters. In all other cases the settings should be adjusted manually if required.
The correct settings can be found by contacting your broker/data feed representatives.

Return to “MultiCharts”