Trading Multiple Strategies on Same Symbol

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
scuba

Trading Multiple Strategies on Same Symbol

Postby scuba » 17 Jan 2015

Hi All!

I have two strategies I'd like to simultaneously trade on the same underlying stock. They are saved as individual Signals using the PowerLanguage Editor.

What are the best practices to use to ensure System "A" Entries (LA1) and not being closed by System "B" Exits (XB1)?

What I've found is that when there are overlapping signals generated by both systems, then sometimes System "B" will close the trade generated by System "A"...

A related question: Can a variable from one Signal Strategy (System "A") be read or accessed by the other Strategy (System "B")?

Sorry if this is documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
scuba

orion

Re: Trading Multiple Strategies on Same Symbol

Postby orion » 17 Jan 2015

What are the best practices to use to ensure System "A" Entries (LA1) and not being closed by System "B" Exits (XB1)?
Run them as separate charts. If you run them on same chart, result will be what you got below:
What I've found is that when there are overlapping signals generated by both systems, then sometimes System "B" will close the trade generated by System "A"...
A related question: Can a variable from one Signal Strategy (System "A") be read or accessed by the other Strategy (System "B")?
No

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 17 Jan 2015

I use sub accounts at Amp futures to run different strategies on same symbol.
Keeping them completely separated works good for me.

When testing on sim, this is not important, you can just use separate charts.

shane

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Jan 2015

Hi All!
I have two strategies I'd like to simultaneously trade on the same underlying stock. They are saved as individual Signals using the PowerLanguage Editor.
Sorry if this is documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
scuba
Go to Wiki and look for this article:

Trading from Multiple Charts on One Instrument

ps: Multiple Charts = Multiple Strategies

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 18 Jan 2015

Yes, if you use global variables.

orion

Postby orion » 18 Jan 2015

Yes, if you use global variables.
Josh is right in the sense that the state of a variable can be communicated from one signal to another by means of a global variable but the variable itself can't be accessed in the other signal since, unlike other programming languages, all variables in PL have file-level scope.

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jan 2015

Look up

i_setplotvalue
i_getplotvalue

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 19 Jan 2015

Look up

i_setplotvalue
i_getplotvalue
While these are helpful keywords (so definitely worth looking up), he asks how to access a variable from one strategy in another strategy. I_SetPlotValue and I_GetPlotValue are for passing data between an indicator and strategy, to my understanding.

Return to “MultiCharts”