Ascii Mapping instruments of different resolution  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
justme

Ascii Mapping instruments of different resolution

Postby justme » 20 Jan 2015

Hi, I just want to make sure that I am doing this properly.

I have a directory which contains two files

@ES_1Min.csv
@ES_EOD.csv

They are both ES one has a 1minute resolution and the other is Daily. I have TS so I have added symbol -> From Datasource -> TS and that worked fine as I selected the instrument @ES.

Now that I need two different symbols in MC, one for 1 minute and Daily, I edit this new symbol @ES and I change the Data source from "TS" to "Ascii Mapping", then I change the symbol Name from "@ES" to "@ES_1Min" I save it.

Now I need to run the same process again for the EOD data, so I create another instance of @ES so I add symbol -> from datasource ->TS and I grab @ES again, and I make the two edits Data source= Ascii mapping and symbol = "@ES_EOD".

Now I can map my files and all is fine.

Am I missing something, or is there an easier way to do this, as I have many instruments to do.

Thank you. Gordon

orion

Re: Ascii Mapping instruments of different resolution

Postby orion » 20 Jan 2015

For ASCII mapping there is no import symbol from data source. Instead, in QM you do File -> Map ASCII. The symbol is automagically created when you do that as long as you have the proper root settings in your symbol dictionary for the root ES (so that symbol parameters such as minMove, priceScale, ...) can get set correctly (since in this case they are not going to be provided by a data source such as TS. To do the root settings for ES, click on the symbol dictionary icon in QM (do this first before doing the ASCII mapping).

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 21 Jan 2015

I have a directory which contains two files

@ES_1Min.csv
@ES_EOD.csv

They are both ES one has a 1minute resolution and the other is Daily. I have TS so I have added symbol -> From Datasource -> TS and that worked fine as I selected the instrument @ES.
Hello justme,

What is your final goal? Do you want to have the data from the 2 .csv files in 1 symbol or in 2 separate symbols (why)?

justme

Postby justme » 21 Jan 2015

Hi Guys, thanks for responses. I would love to have things set up like they are in TS, where 1 symbol can map to intraday data and EOD data. So in the case above, I would created an instrument "@ES" in MC and that symbol would use the both of my files, depending upon the resolution requested. But it is my understanding that is not possible in MC. If it is, please advise. That is my ideal need.

That said, what I am trying to accomplish is get my data files read into MC. I read elsewhere in the forum that I needed different symbols for different resolutions and my initial tests of trying to use one symbol for both one minute data and EOD data, defaulted to resolutions of daily and above.

So, my current goal is to create two symbols, one with 1 minute data and the other with EOD data.

Thanks. Gordon

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 21 Jan 2015

I see. Yes, for different resolutions you need 2 separate files mapped to 2 separate symbols in QM. Symbol names must be different.

orion

Re: Ascii Mapping instruments of different resolution  [SOLVED]

Postby orion » 21 Jan 2015

Gordon: one more thing. Make sure it is indeed ASCII mapping that you need and that you can't live with ASCII import instead. They are two very different things. ASCII mapping require two different symbols for two resolutions. ASCII import will not require two different symbols.

justme

Postby justme » 22 Jan 2015

Orion, thank you for clarifying that for me. I will delve into Ascii Import now. If MC gives prizes out for helping, I hope you get one!

Gordon

Return to “MultiCharts”