CPU usage

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
horizon1231

CPU usage

Postby horizon1231 » 12 Feb 2015

I encountering problem CPU 100% from NewYork trading hours, this let me feel MC is NOT
stable and reliable for middle size trading firm like me.

when CPU reach 100% multicharts still working,but calculation is wrong and send wrong order size, etc...

our logic is not complex but more charts,around 50 charts with IOG=1. only two signal applied to chart, one is !From Broker To Strategy MP Synchronizer!,the other is wrote by ourselves.
when open 100+ charts,mc nearly can't handle.

I thought mc can handle it but never, such process like tradingserver.exe,ODAserver.exe,multicharts.exe always eat out my cpu resource. I am considering switch to other platform.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: CPU usage

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Feb 2015

Hello horizon1231,

Please provide more details regarding this behavior:
  • What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)
  • Which data provider and broker do you use?
  • Which chart resolutions do you use?
  • How often is CPU usage 100%?
  • How long does it take to get back to normal CPU usage?
What happens when the the CPU usage is 100%?
  • Is there a bunch of ticks coming in?
  • Is there a batch of orders generated/modified/rejected?
  • Do you perform manual trading, playback, backtesting, optimization alongside with auto trading?
  • Can you see a red indication of unprocessed orders / quoted in the bottom right corner of the main MultiCharts window when CPU usage is 100%?
Please completely disable or uninstall your anti virus.
Then completely disable MultiCharts logging:
Save the file corresponding to your version of MultiCharts to your PC and unzip it.
Double click on AllTracesOff.reg or AllTracesOff64.reg. Click Yes->Yes.
You need to apply the reg file while MultiCharts and all of its processes are closed, otherwise the changes will not be applied until the next restart of the platform.

If that does not help and you still have the issue:
Send us (support@multicharts.com) the following information for further investigation:
  • all workspaces you are using for replicating this behavior;
  • in QuoteManager select the symbols you are using, make a right click on it->Export data->Export instrument (without data). Send us the QMD export file for analysis;
  • in PowerLanguage editor->File->Export->Export with dependent functions the studies you are using on your workspaces, send us the study export file;
  • screenshot of the following window: Control Panel\System and Security\System;
  • video capturing this behavior.
Attachments
AllTraces.zip
for 32 bit MultiCharts
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
AllTraces64.zip
for 64 bit MultiCharts
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

orion

Postby orion » 12 Feb 2015

The problem is likely with your configuration and not MC. I am finding it to be quite stable and reliable. I don't use charts. I use the Portfolio Trader but I have as many symbols as you are using. Portfolio Trader does not have IOG but I am using 5 second resolution symbol data. Even at the busiest time my CPU load is around 3%.

horizon1231

Postby horizon1231 » 13 Feb 2015

Hi

with the reg file imported, the CPU usage lower down appro 30%, with 50 charts opening.

and yes,when the market tick data get updating, CPU getting 100% and there's red indication at bottom.

I saw there's a backup folder and seems mc zip those log files from time to time, those file is very huge
and be very harmful to my disk. Is there a way to stop backup?

after reaching 100%, the from broker to strategy calculation is wrong then something weird happen.

I know maybe portfolio trading could solve this,but they still not implement IOG yet..

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Feb 2015

Hi

with the reg file imported, the CPU usage lower down appro 30%, with 50 charts opening.

and yes,when the market tick data get updating, CPU getting 100% and there's red indication at bottom.

I saw there's a backup folder and seems mc zip those log files from time to time, those file is very huge
and be very harmful to my disk. Is there a way to stop backup?

after reaching 100%, the from broker to strategy calculation is wrong then something weird happen.

I know maybe portfolio trading could solve this,but they still not implement IOG yet..
Backup files are zipped logs. So if you have imported the proper reg file and restarted MultiCharts - there will be no log files and no backup of them. Please keep in mind that without the logs we won’t be able to study any issues with MultiCharts.

Do you still have the read indication with the logs disabled?

Why do you use "from broker to strategy synchronizer" signal?

horizon1231

Postby horizon1231 » 17 Feb 2015

CPU usage still very high. maybe its not good for so many charts opening.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Feb 2015

CPU usage still very high. maybe its not good for so many charts opening.
If you want to get further assistance - please provide the information I have requested and come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely.

Return to “MultiCharts”