EL CODE PROBLEM (portfolio trader)  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
houss75

EL CODE PROBLEM (portfolio trader)

Postby houss75 » 15 Feb 2015

Hello,

I have 3 strategies to backtest on 1 support on the portfolio trader(with Allow differents entries ) and each strategy have here own stoploss, the back-test shows performance as each entry being independent which is correct.
but in the backtest the smallest stoploss exit all the strategy.
There is any reserved word to attribute each stoploss to each strategy because I'm only using
the word setstoploss independantly in each strategy code?

Rgds,

orion

Re: EL CODE PROBLEM (portfolio trader)

Postby orion » 15 Feb 2015

The following points may be relevant in case you have a misunderstanding of what it means to have "3 strategies". Perhaps what you have is 3 signals and not 3 strategies?

1. Many users may colloquially refer to a signal as a "strategy" but that colloquial usage of the word strategy is not the formal definition of what constitutes a strategy. It is important to understand that a strategy by definition is the set of signals applied to a chart. So if a number of signals are inserted in a chart, they combine to form one strategy with a single value for the chart position and a single value for the AT engine position. This is true for both 'visual chart' trading in MC or 'non-visual chart' trading in PT.

2. In this case of two or more signals applied to the same chart, since they work as one strategy, the signals cooperate whereby if signal A enters a position, then signal B can exit that position.

houss75

Postby houss75 » 19 Feb 2015

ok thanks Orion for you answer.
but how can I avoid the stoploss to exit all my signals?

Rgds,

orion

Re: EL CODE PROBLEM (portfolio trader)  [SOLVED]

Postby orion » 19 Feb 2015

but how can I avoid the stoploss to exit all my signals?
If the signals operate as one strategy then the stoploss will exit entry made by any signal. Note that strategy = chart + (signal1 + signal2 + ....) where "chart" is one row of the portfolio trader. If you want PL studies on a symbol to operate as separate strategies then you need to create separate strategies which you do by having separate rows in the PT. You add additional strategies by going to main menu Portfolio -> Add Strategy. Under new strategy add symbols and signals you need.

houss75

Postby houss75 » 20 Feb 2015

Hello Orion,

I did exactly what you said and it works!

Thanks

Rgds

Return to “MultiCharts”