ASCII mapped data has disappeared from Chart

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
robbob

ASCII mapped data has disappeared from Chart

Postby robbob » 27 Feb 2015

I am using CSI EOD data for my charts, and have mapped all the ASCII files from CSI's portfolio directory to ASCII symbols I created. I was then able to create charts from these, and when I updated the CSI ASCII data each day, I was able to refresh the charts without any problems.

It has been a few months since I had run an update on the CSI data. I ran an update today, and when I refresh the chart, there is no data. I went into the QuoteManager and looked at the data for one of the symbols, and it *does* have all the data through yesterday. I attempted to restart multicharts to see if I could get the chart to load the data, but still no luck.

Any ideas what may be going on?

thanks,
-Rob

robbob

Re: ASCII mapped data has disappeared from Chart

Postby robbob » 28 Feb 2015

Correction, I can't see the data in the Quote Manager unless I create a new symbol for it.

So the order of events that lead up to this were.
-Deleted old .csv files with EOD data, and downloaded new files with the same name as previous.
-Opened Quote Manager and selected one of the symbols, and selected "Edit data", but no data was visible.
-Tried "Map ASCII..." in the File menu, and set an existing ticker symbol to point at its corresponding CSV file.
-Right Clicked on Symbol and selected "Refresh"
-Right click on symbol and selected "Edit Data", but no data was visible.

If I do "Map ASCII..." and create a brand new symbol for the .csv file, then I can see the data, but I don't want to do this as I had some custom properties defined for each symbol that I don't want to have to manually re-enter if I create new symbols for this data.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Apr 2015

Hello Rob,

ASCII mapping creates a link from the software to the ASCII file with data. ASCII mapping does not import data into MultiCharts database (Edit data window of QuoteManager will be empty). Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol-the data is taken from the file directly. That is possible to map multiple ASCII files at the same time. You do not need to create ASCII mapping instrument manually-it is created automatically upon mapping.
More information can be found at the following page: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ping_ASCII

If you are still unable to get the data from an ASCII mapped file - please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely. We will do our best to help you.

HPF

Postby HPF » 22 Apr 2015

Perhaps the following helps.

We have a setup similar to what robbob describes. It seems there is the following bug:

1. Start MultiCharts with a daily chart that is a combination of historical data from ASCII mapped CSI data and live data from some other source. Chart displays fine.
2. CSI runs an update and writes to the ASCII mapped files **while MultiCharts is still running**.
3. When you now create a new chart or reload an existing chart that uses the ASCII mapped data, this chart remains blank with "no data".
4. Only when you restart MultiCharts, you can again see the ASCII mapped data.

Is this what is happening in your case?

Kind regards,

HPF

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Apr 2015

Perhaps the following helps.

We have a setup similar to what robbob describes. It seems there is the following bug:

1. Start MultiCharts with a daily chart that is a combination of historical data from ASCII mapped CSI data and live data from some other source. Chart displays fine.
2. CSI runs an update and writes to the ASCII mapped files **while MultiCharts is still running**.
3. When you now create a new chart or reload an existing chart that uses the ASCII mapped data, this chart remains blank with "no data".
4. Only when you restart MultiCharts, you can again see the ASCII mapped data.

Is this what is happening in your case?

Kind regards,

HPF
Hello HPF,

We were unable to replicate this behavior on our end. Please capture a video demonstrating this case and specify your version and build number of MultiCharts (MultiCharts->Help tab->About).

Return to “MultiCharts”