Data Downloading Speed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mcjohn

Data Downloading Speed

Postby mcjohn » 16 Apr 2015

How does MC handle data storage? For example, I already have a chart or two of 4 Hour CHF/JPY open with a large amount of history. When I try to open an additional CHF/JPY 4 Hour with the same amount of history it takes a long time. Is the data not already downloaded to my computer or does it have to download with each new chart?

arjfca

Re: Data Downloading Speed

Postby arjfca » 16 Apr 2015

How does MC handle data storage? For example, I already have a chart or two of 4 Hour CHF/JPY open with a large amount of history. When I try to open an additional CHF/JPY 4 Hour with the same amount of history it takes a long time. Is the data not already downloaded to my computer or does it have to download with each new chart?
Some hints: Can't say if they are related toyour problem, but it helped me

Is your data server is IB? If so, it may be normal if your asked history go behond their limit. IB put a limitation on data to be download and put a time delay once limitation reached.

Look if you could install MC64. This version has access to a wider range of memory.

Do you really need to go back that far? For me, once I realized that, I reduce my historic data and MC performance was increased.

Downloaded data:
I think I read or asked the question, each chart has it own database, So same pair on a different workspace will have separate database. I may be wrong on that.

Martin

mcjohn

Postby mcjohn » 16 Apr 2015

I am using Oanda. It would see odd to not save previously downloaded data and just fill in the new data. I believe this has how most platforms operate. The data is for backesting and I am only using 5 years.

John

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Apr 2015

There are three base data resolutions: Tick, Minute and Daily. Once data is downloaded from the data feed server and plotted on the chart - it is stored in the cache. When you close MultiCharts, QuoteManager and Portfolio Trader - cached data is saved to the local database.  You do not need to manually save any data, it is done automatically. Next time you plot a chart - the data is loaded from the cache or data base first, then missing historical data and realtime data are requested from the data provider. For more information please see Collecting and Saving Data to MultiCharts Database.

If you are building the chart with the same resolution/quote field/sessions/data range as you already have plotted - the historical data should be loaded from the cache and not requested from your data provider.
I think I read or asked the question, each chart has it own database, So same pair on a different workspace will have separate database. I may be wrong on that.
That is not correct.

Return to “MultiCharts”