Live Trading Everyday all Day Without Intervention

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
kingmins

Live Trading Everyday all Day Without Intervention

Postby kingmins » 23 Apr 2015

Hi guys. I am currently auto-trading everyday usually with no overnight trades. I have read through many threads with some great help and advice so these are the issues i have come across with 100% hands free trading:

1. I use Interactive Brokers so we know TWS has to logout once every 24 hours. To work around this i use: IBController application. Or i use IB Gateway which automatically connects again.

2. I use a VPS with only Multichats, IB, Time Sync (to ensure correct time) and Splahstop remote desktop app. So far my VPS (tried godaddy) has had zero down time for first couple months. I only have 3gb ram which i find more than enough but i like to run IB Gateway recently because it takes far less resources.

3. I have many strategies running at the same time, many strategies trade the same symbol. I use alerts (mainly email alerts - i am finding only Yahoo email works).
-

Code: Select all

if checkalert = true then begin
if GetAppInfo(aiStrategyAuto) = 0
then
alert(text("Strategy is not live"));
end;
- I am in the process of setting up an alert for IB Datafeed issue. From a different thread but using MC.net i will try to utilise:

Code: Select all

TimeSpan timeDifference = DateTime.Now - Bars.StatusLine.Time;

// Generate alert if these are enabled and time difference is more than 25 seconds
if ((Alerts.CheckAlertLastBar) && (timeDifference > TimeSpan.FromSeconds(25)))
4. I use splashtop remote desktop app and windows remote desktop (on android) also to check on the systems and view server.

5. Obviously i use IB email alerts for trades made.

6. I am in the process of trying sever monitoring software - i presume we can ping the machine constantly and alert if server is down. Any recommendations on this type of software???

7. I have Interactive Brokers TWS app installed on my android and tablets just in case i need to use this.

8. I know sometime MC has data issues or where certain number of bars did not load properly. I am thinking of adding reload: .rld command to reload last days data at certain time. Does anybody think this is a good idea?

9. In-case of software failure (if i use IBController with TWS) i use windows scheduling tool to ensure the application runs again - keeps checking every 5 seconds if software is running.

Issues with this:
Now what do i do if MC freezes or my Server restarts, i can use scheduling software to auto-start MC and IB but then i have no way of turning on each strategy (i use charts and not portfolio), particularly because we have to click 'yes' to autotrade. Has anybody managed to get a fix on this issue so everything can run on restart and auto go live? I am not that technical but maybe we can write a macro to perform this function?

Another issue i have is saving strategy positions. I know this can be written to a document (i don't know how). So if we did restart i would need figure out a way of determining which strategies were in a trade (as many trade on the same symbol). I read a thread which i can't find mentioning this issue and the fix was do send all strategy orders for particular symbol to a global controller signal which places trades. Does anyone have a fix on this issue which is relatively easy to implement?

I trade futures CL and need my strategies to auto load to next symbol. Recently i have just come across .iind command an was thinking of utilising this. Has anybody had any success with this (once symbol is changed the problem i presume would be strategy goes back into offline mode). How do you guys deal with contract rollover?

Is there anyway to somehow give an alert if Multicharts software has frozen? Can any monitoring tool constantly ping software to see if it is working and give email alert?

There is probably hundreds of other fail-safes out there but can you guys add any other major ones to this list. My goal is to allows system to trade 100% hands free with many fail-safes built it and maybe once a day remote desktop login to check everything worked correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TJ

Re: Live Trading Everyday all Day Without Intervention

Postby TJ » 23 Apr 2015

Auto Trading is not Unattended Trading.

YMMV

kingmins

Postby kingmins » 23 Apr 2015

Agreed TJ. However, i want to automate as much as the process as possible.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 23 Apr 2015

Maybe not related to your question, but trading with IB:

- i would make sure that your stop orders on open position do reside on IB server, not on MC software. I had a bad experience few years ago when I tried to auto trade and MC failed. Stop was not send because it was encoded in the MC software. Can't say if MC actual version allow to have the stop to reside on IB server. If not, you may use TWSLINK ** api function to send your orders.

To check, just open a TWS windows and see if your stop are in place. If not then your are relying on MC / PC / your internet to be running flawlessly.

** I do use TWSLINK with Excel to send my orders to IB. As mentioned, I wanted to have the complete order ( Limit entry, Stop loss and limit profit target) to reside on IB server. This is a paid service and I'm not promoting nor endorsing them. There may be other solution using IB api directly.

Martin

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 May 2015

8. I know sometime MC has data issues or where certain number of bars did not load properly. I am thinking of adding reload: .rld command to reload last days data at certain time. Does anybody think this is a good idea?
Hello kingmins,

The reason of the price gaps/missing data can be the outdated version of Java and TWS. Please update the Java and TWS on your PC.
You can call data reload from your code but the logic of your code should be clever enough not to get into a reload loop.
i can use scheduling software to auto-start MC and IB but then i have no way of turning on each strategy (i use charts and not portfolio), particularly because we have to click 'yes' to autotrade. Has anybody managed to get a fix on this issue so everything can run on restart and auto go live? I am not that technical but maybe we can write a macro to perform this function?
You can create a macro. In MultiCharts 9.1 we will add a registry key to disable this warning message.
I trade futures CL and need my strategies to auto load to next symbol. Recently i have just come across .iind command an was thinking of utilising this. Has anybody had any success with this (once symbol is changed the problem i presume would be strategy goes back into offline mode). How do you guys deal with contract rollover?
Once you change an instrument on a chart on any of its settings - auto trading is turned off. As you are using IB - you need to add instruments from the data provider in order to have the proper instrument parameters.
Is there anyway to somehow give an alert if Multicharts software has frozen? Can any monitoring tool constantly ping software to see if it is working and give email alert?
Please see how Monitor Multicharts Not responding status

Return to “MultiCharts”