Backtest fills that don't match signal's "i_setplotvalue"

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
wilkinsw

Backtest fills that don't match signal's "i_setplotvalue"

Postby wilkinsw » 29 Jul 2015

Hi,

I've spent all day trying to get my head around certain backtest behaviour in MC. I use i-setplotvalue to output the variables values that indicate where I should be getting filled and they don't always match the chart (only about 50% of the time).

I'm using "fill on touch" backtest assumption.

I think I understand why some show a price difference, as MC will only fill a limit order where there is a tick. So when a two tick skip, MC will improve the fill by a tick.

But it is happening in other situations I can't explain too. Is it something to do with the way MC rounds up/down decimals???? Is there logic in the background that MC uses for converting decimals into prices? Do many decimal places on a variable effect the fill price when backtesting?? Just guessing here.

Would be very appreciative if someone could shed some light on this.

I've attached a screenshot of just one example.....
fills prices.PNG
(114.46 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
The image shows:

the entryprice value : "serank[1]" = 1.1065. I get filled at 1.1065 = CORRECT

the exitprice value : is the highest of two values...1) 1.10638 and 2) highest high since fill - 0.00012 = 1.10638.

So why is my target filled at 1.1063 instead of 1.1064?

Is the use of tick charts the reason?

I have many more exampls if needed.

wilkinsw

Re: Backtest fills that don't match signal's "i_setplotvalue

Postby wilkinsw » 29 Jul 2015

Even though I don't know why the above inconsistency occured, I've come up with a fix that solved it.

Before, I was unable to round to 4dp (as one might use with EuroFX) as it caused 0 values for various stop/profit calculations (e.g. 9x0.1=0.9 (=1.0 rounded), whereas 9x0.0(0.1rounded) = 0... creating undesired behaviour).

Therefore I had decided just to use long decimals (e.g. 8dp) BUT this creates the inconsistent behaviour I described.

Solution: use 8dp on figures where 0 values mess up calculations and the correct 4dp on everything else.

Pretty obvious I suppose!

Return to “MultiCharts”