Multicharts Displaying Price Bar Incorrectly

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
kasenda victor

Multicharts Displaying Price Bar Incorrectly

Postby kasenda victor » 07 Mar 2008

Hi TS Support,

I'm not sure if this is related to the volume being displayed inaccurately on the connection bar, but attached is a screenshot where I'm seeing a doji bar being wrongly displayed as a down bar.

Top window and bottom window both show @YM# from IQFeed. 2nd window was duplicated from top widow.

This occurs first on startup, when the connection bar displays an inaccurate price and volume data. Indicators like the 13ema with a 13bar window would be wrong, as the price bar is wrong. Noted that it is acknowledged the volume may be inaccurate on this bar, but if the price is inaccurate, the indicator may be inaccurate for the next 13 bars!

If I then try to refresh the chart, the next connection bar may have inaccurate price and volume data. Indicators like the 13ema with a 13bar window would still be wrong. Vol based indicators may also be thrown off in the calculation window since volume is inaccurate.

So no matter how often I refresh, there would always be one bar that has inaccurate price/vol as the connection bar is inaccurate, and the 13 bar indicator would always display a wrong value unless I waited 13*3min later when the wrong bar would be out of the indicator calculation.

Could you help to advice a workaround for this, as either price, volume or indicator appears to be inaccurately displayed on a chart at any one time?

Or if possible, could you help to fix this issue so that accurate price, vol and indicators could be displayed?

Thanks,
Victor
Attachments
Multicharts price bar incorrect.doc
(139 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 12 Mar 2008

Victor,
It is an issue that couldn't be easily fixed. The nature of the problem is mistiming of server time and local time. The closer they are more accurate bars will be.

kasenda victor

Postby kasenda victor » 13 Mar 2008

Thanks for the explanation Andrew, hopefully there's a fix for this

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 17 Mar 2008

First of all please try to install any atomic clocks on your PC. It should minimize the problem.

kasenda victor

Postby kasenda victor » 17 Mar 2008

Hi Andrew,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but data streams to the charting software in Ticks. As long as no ticks are missed/dropped, the chart should have an accurate representation of the market price+vol, but it could be delayed by ~2s depending on internet latency.

Accuracy here would refer to not missing ticks, data having a latency of 1-2s may be expected depending on internet traffic.

If PC's required highly accurate clocks, then every charting software including the screens in the exchanges would be out of sync with one another, displaying differing price bars.

The screenshot shown is that of a price bar being plotted differently in 2 different windows of multicharts, which may imply ticks were being missed.

If highly accurate clocks were required, how does Open E Cry charts manage to display a more accurate price+vol data than multicharts on startup, and after refresh?

If there are real time active traders in the forum, I'm curious how he/she trades off multicharts if on startup/after refresh the price/vol appears to miss a few ticks? (down bars become doji bars etc as in the screenshot attached...)

Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

kasenda victor

Postby kasenda victor » 17 Mar 2008

Hi Andrew, would appreciate if you could look into a workaround for this, especially for the vol bars to be more accurate on startup/refresh in fast moving markets. (Slow moving markets don't seem to affect it as much)

Purely based on not missing ticks, could multicharts display vol/price more accurately on startup/refresh?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Mar 2008

Hi Andrew,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but data streams to the charting software in Ticks.
That's correct.
As long as no ticks are missed/dropped, the chart should have an accurate representation of the market price+vol, but it could be delayed by ~2s depending on internet latency.
The assumption is not correct. The connection bar has real-time and historical ticks. Due to the problem of time synchronization we detect the connection point wrong and thus miss some ticks. The more accurate time you have less ticks you lose.
If highly accurate clocks were required, how does Open E Cry charts manage to display a more accurate price+vol data than multicharts on startup, and after refresh?
OEC may use different mechanism and doesn't have such a problem...

Return to “MultiCharts”