Interactive Brokers with E-Signal data feed  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
syswizard

Interactive Brokers with E-Signal data feed

Postby syswizard » 04 Feb 2016

Can anyone step-up and vouch this is a good Algo/AutoTrading set-up ?

I am looking at 200, 400, 1000 tick bars for my algos.
I am unable to get these using the IB data feed.

I'm doing CME futures....which are about $150 per month from ESignal with exchange fees included.

So I'll be using the ESignal data, but trading thru IB with the orders.

Reliable ?
What happens in "fast" markets ? Does my workstation "freeze-up" ?

Cost ?
The thing that bothers me, is that I am paying for all of the other "features" of ESignal...
which I won't be using at all. No charting, no stats, no scanner, nothing but tick-level data.

All comments and opinions greatly appreciated !
You would think they would offer that as a lower-cost option.

arnie

Re: Interactive Brokers with E-Signal data feed  [SOLVED]

Postby arnie » 05 Feb 2016

Can anyone step-up and vouch this is a good Algo/AutoTrading set-up ?

I am looking at 200, 400, 1000 tick bars for my algos.
I am unable to get these using the IB data feed.

I'm doing CME futures....which are about $150 per month from ESignal with exchange fees included.

So I'll be using the ESignal data, but trading thru IB with the orders.

Reliable ?
What happens in "fast" markets ? Does my workstation "freeze-up" ?

Cost ?
The thing that bothers me, is that I am paying for all of the other "features" of ESignal...
which I won't be using at all. No charting, no stats, no scanner, nothing but tick-level data.

All comments and opinions greatly appreciated !
You would think they would offer that as a lower-cost option.

I don't see any problems regarding the esignal/IB combination.
You could also try IQFeed for data since they are a bit cheaper than esignal. For CME + service, IQFeed has a total cost of $90 per month. I can say MC work very closely with them so they work flawlessly together.

In fast markets all retail platforms/datafeeds might freeze. Not so much the platform itself but the exchange itself can't manage sending all the millions quotes per second (hence all the discussion around the fast connection lines HFT companies have to the exchange, leaving the retail trader in disadvantage)

You also have the option of changing brokers. There are many futures brokers supported by MC. Most of them have unfiltered data feeds (tick data) and the monthly cost is only the exchange fee, $16.
True, they will only have around 3 months of historic data available but for $16 a month you really can ask for much more.
If you really don't care much for historical data this is indeed a great choice.

In talks with IQFeed they said that they would be available to offer some lower cost futures services if demand would be significant, similar to the forex feed they released a couple of months ago (only $30 per month), but for now they don't see it :(
So for you all that would like a lower cost futures data feed with IQFeed quality data, start sending them emails requesting such service ;)

hughesfleming

Re: Interactive Brokers with E-Signal data feed

Postby hughesfleming » 05 Feb 2016

Another alternative to both is barchart.com. There are positives and negatives to all the services. On price barchart.com was the most cost effective but the balance shifted to iqfeed if you used other applications with the datafeed.

The only area where I saw a significant difference between the two was with realtime CME indexes. In this particular case, Barchart.com was the faster of the two.

You might also see differences depending on where you are located. IQfeed has their servers in Omaha and Bellevue Nebraska. For me coming in from Central Europe, my ping times to Barchart.com were significantly better than iqfeed.

Alex

syswizard

Re: Interactive Brokers with E-Signal data feed

Postby syswizard » 05 Feb 2016

Thanks Huges and Arnie...
I will definitely pursue IQ Feed....
that looks like my best option.

Return to “MultiCharts”