VPS for Forex

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dario

VPS for Forex

Postby dario » 21 Mar 2016

Hi to all,
I'm looking for a VPS service for my MC to trade Forex on : Oanda or Fxcm (I'm a little undecided)...so which one do you advise (in terms of best integration with MC) and there is a VPS service that is
suitable for this?

I have seen http://commercialnetworkservices.com/

Elite Traders VPS : Elite Trader's VPS Runs Windows 2008 or 2012 R2
1GB of RAM
35GB of disk space included
CNS Autoboot CNS Remote Admin
1 IPv4 and 1 IPv6 address
10 eMail boxes
Unlimited traffic
Telephone & helpdesk support
Two-factor authentication

is this good?

The Latency to Oanda and FXCM is < 100ms

And for monitoring the status of the platform is there any solutions?

Thank you.

Bye.

hughesfleming

Re: VPS for Forex

Postby hughesfleming » 22 Mar 2016

Hi Dario,

I don't see any point in using a VPS when your latency is close to 100ms. You should be looking at companies that are as close as possible to your brokers servers. By close, I mean less than 10ms and ideally between 1 and 2 ms unless your reason for a VPS is just stability.

1 Gig of ram is not enough. Look to 4 or 5 as a minimum with 2-4 virtual cores depending on how many instruments you intend to trade.

I use mRemoteNG to connect to mine which run Windows 2012r2. Everything works.

If you are trading manually then there are only a couple of specific circumstances where having one makes sense eg. poor local internet reliability or poor electricity.

If you intend to autotrade a lot of instruments, then there is no substitute for a dedicated server in my opinion.

dario

Postby dario » 22 Mar 2016

I want to use an approch fully automated...so I need a
1) VPS to run Multicharts 24h/24h
2) Monitor system to check that MC is active

so I need an advise for some good service...is there anyone that uses a VPS to trade with MC??

hughesfleming

Start here:

http://speedytradingservers.com/

If that does not work for you look for other companies in the NY, New Jersey area.

If trading FX from Europe, then an account with LMAX makes sense with your servers as close as possible to Equinix LD4 in Slough.

With windows remote desktop protocol, you could use an IPad or a windows tablet to monitor your servers on the go.

There many ways to do do this depending on how latency sensitive your strategies are. It is not that difficult.

dario

Hi,
I'm trading from Italy...and the account is for Oanda U.K.

tnx for answer

hughesfleming

You should try SOL VPS and setup a UK Windows 2012r2 VPS. You can create a custom VPS that should cover your needs well. At that point you can decide if it is enough or if you need a dedicated server.

I am in Malta and I used them for a while. I did not have any major problems. You really should have a service provider in the UK. Remote connections will be a lot faster than going to a US server which you should not consider given where you are.

regards,

Alex

DaveAronow

Postby DaveAronow » 22 Mar 2016

I use a dedicated server from Wholesale Internet : https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/.

They are based in Kansas City but fairly cheap -- then again I am not trading with ticks but minute based systems where a couple of seconds do not make a difference.

You can generally get a dedicated server for the price speedy trading servers charges for a VPS and you won't have to worry about shared resources (and someone else hogging CPU when the employment report hits and you need CPU).

There are dedicated server companies offering 100% uptime (for a hefty fee). Depending on what you're doing that may/may not be worth it (for me it's not I can use my home PC if there's an outage but I haven't had one yet lasting more than an hour on a weekend).

dario

I have just discover that the account is with OANDA U.K. but the server connected with Multicharts are in New York...so I know that I need a VPS or a dedicated server in New York

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 18 May 2021

I went for www.wholesaleinternet.net today. Could not even get .NET Framework 3.5 downloaded any which way I know. Made four attempts : :?
support@wholesaleinternet.net could not offer any solution either :shock:
Attachments
THIRD Fail.png
(65.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
FAILED Installation.png
(67.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DaveAronow

Postby DaveAronow » 18 May 2021

Looks like you need the Windows server source DVD to do the install. Did you install Windows or did they? If you have a DVD of it you can ask their support to connect an IP KVM so you can mount the image from your local PC and the server can see it.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 18 May 2021

Looks like you need the Windows server source DVD to do the install. Did you install Windows or did they? If you have a DVD of it you can ask their support to connect an IP KVM so you can mount the image from your local PC and the server can see it.
Dave,
The server came with Windows installed by www.wholesaleinternet.net. I am going to put your suggestion to the Support Department in the ticket conversation and see how things go. Thank you.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 19 May 2021

Dave,
The server came with Windows installed by www.wholesaleinternet.net. I am going to put your suggestion to the Support Department in the ticket conversation and see how things go. Thank you.
Resolved.
MultiCharts installed and running :D
Thank you Dave. You were spot on.

DaveAronow

Postby DaveAronow » 19 May 2021

Glad to help.

Return to “MultiCharts”