The better way

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tradingest

The better way

Postby tradingest » 19 Apr 2016

Hi all,

after backtest on data the your advise is to have for the trading in real time the same data vendors backtest or use the same data where order will be executed?

thanks,
tradingest

tony

Re: The better way

Postby tony » 20 Apr 2016

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer I would say depends. If you are using a scalping strategy and tick data is critical I would make sure testing was with an unfiltered data provider. If not, I would switch to one and go back to testing to confirm performance. Then in live go with a data provider that does not filter and therefore represents the true market you are trading. If your strategy is more longer term, trend oriented, then it is less important. Personally I use a different data provider than who provides market access and who offers free data. I pay for what I believe is the best unfiltered data for my strategy I run live.

tradingest

Postby tradingest » 21 Apr 2016

What is a good data provider with good historical data at 1 minute. If possible low cost.

Thanks

tony

Postby tony » 22 Apr 2016

I pay about $100 a month for IQFeed. I love their product. But there are all sorts of options. Some free, some paid. Search the forum and you'll find a number of reviews users have put up on various data options.

Sebastian Vermont

Postby Sebastian Vermont » 22 Apr 2016

MultiCharts allows you to use a hybrid approach. For example, you can add 3 instruments to the chart-- 1 for your broker's bid, 1 for your broker's ask, and then 1 for the price data that your strategy will actually evaluate (personally I use eSignal for this, IQFeed is also a solid choice and less expensive). This also allows you to use extended backtesting which is an absolute requirement for me.

tradingest

Postby tradingest » 22 Apr 2016

How much eSignal for historical data at 1 min?

Thank,
tradingest

Sebastian Vermont

Postby Sebastian Vermont » 22 Apr 2016

You would need to check with eSignal-- the costs are different depending upon the markets you need, etc. The sales/support staff is usually very helpful. They have a "Live Chat" option on the website which makes it very easy to get questions answered quickly.

Return to “MultiCharts”