QuoteManager slow

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
The9000

QuoteManager slow

Postby The9000 » 20 Jun 2016

I have a problem where, when loading data into Portfolio Trader before a backtest or optimization, it takes hours to load in data. Other times it takes 10-15 minutes to load the data. I'm using ASCII data, 2 minute bars.

For example, this evening I'm loading in data I was working with on Saturday. Then I was able to load the data in about 20 minutes. It's the entire SPY500 components (so ~500 symbols), 2 years back, 2 minute bars. Tonight, it's took almost 2 hours to load. The data shows as 0 quotes loaded and stays that way for almost 2 hours. Then, over a period of about 5 minutes, it will start moving and load the data.

Most of the time, it takes hours to load the data.

Any idea on what's causing it and how to fix it?

Tony

Henry MultiСharts

Re: QuoteManager slow

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Jun 2016

Hello Tony,

Are you using ASCII Mapping (reading data from a text file) or ASCII Import (importing data from a text file into the database)?
Have you mixed both methods (mapped a file and imported the data into the same symbol)?
Does it take the same amount of time to load the data on a chart?

The9000

Postby The9000 » 21 Jun 2016

Hi Henry,

I'm using ASCII mapping and not ASCII import. I haven't updated the ASCII data since I mapped it two months ago. I'm using it in Portfolio Trader, not regular MC. I mapped 1000+ symbols so using ASCII import would be extremely cumbersome since I would need to import each symbol manually.

If I start from a cold boot and open Portfolio Trader, some times the data will load in about 15 minutes. This happens about 20% of the time.

Other times it takes 2-1/2 hours to load the same data before backtesting or optimization. When it takes 2-1/2 hours, it will remain at 0 quotes and then over the course of 15 minutes, load all of the data. So it essentially it is stuck for several hours.

Tony

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Jun 2016

Hello Tony,

Please try disabling the anti-virus and firewall apps you have on your PC.
Which MultiCharts process has the highest CPU usage when the data is loading for 2 hours?
Which application has the highest disk activity at this moment?
Please send us all workspaces and data files you are using for replicating this behavior - upload them to any file sharing hosting and send me the download link.
You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely to our engineers. We will do our best to help you.

Return to “MultiCharts”