Running Multicharts from the "cloud"

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bluefightingcat

Running Multicharts from the "cloud"

Postby bluefightingcat » 16 Jul 2016

I run Multicharts on my desktop computer. However sometimes when travelling it would be useful to run Multicharts on my laptop.

I was thinking it would be great to install Multicharts on my "OneDrive". This was I could run Multicharts from either computer with all settings saved etc.

Do you think this would be possible?

hughesfleming

Re: Running Multicharts from the "cloud"

Postby hughesfleming » 16 Jul 2016

What is stopping you from installing Multicharts on your laptop? You could then use One Drive for templates. As long as you are not running instances at the same time on two different computers, you won't run into problems with the licensing server.

Alex

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 20 Jul 2016

I was thinking it would be great to install Multicharts on my "OneDrive". This was I could run Multicharts from either computer with all settings saved etc.
To add to Alex' response above, here's a wiki page with the different file locations with the MultiCharts settings that you probably want to sync between the different computers: backup user data.

The9000

Postby The9000 » 18 Sep 2016

Along similar lines, I'm trying to backup all of my MC user files automatically (studies, quote databases,etc) using Windows Backup in Win10. However I don't see the file paths for the MC files above to use for backups.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 18 Sep 2016

Along similar lines, I'm trying to backup all of my MC user files automatically (studies, quote databases,etc) using Windows Backup in Win10. However I don't see the file paths for the MC files above to use for backups.
In MC, Go to Files, preferences, directories to find data locations, then set them to be easy to find and backup... (that's what I did)... be sure to copy the data from the original locations to your new location, if you choose to change directory locations.
I always keep frequent backups of studies and workspaces..Those are the most important to me...

bensat

Postby bensat » 18 Sep 2016

Has anyone of you thought about MC running on a dedicated root server ? To rent one with exceptional hardware is cheaper then to buy own hardware for at least 3 yrs, can run 24h, mostly 99.99% connection failure safety, no hardware responsibility, no security issues, no electricity costs etc ... and available from all over the world ....

Just asking ....

Best Regards

Ben

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 19 Sep 2016

Hi Ben,

That is exactly what I am doing. I am using Velia.net with a dedicated server in Frankfurt. Very happy with their support and overall performance. From where I am located it is ideal.

I have tried Amazon and Azure for certain applications and it was always slow and expensive.

regards,

Alex

The9000

Postby The9000 » 19 Sep 2016

The Germany based servers are a bargain, much cheaper than AWS for what you're getting.

How is connectivity/latency to US based severs such as IQ Feed?

I assume it's a shell server and I would need to install Windows, etc. How is connectivity handled to the server, VPN and remote desktop?'

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 19 Sep 2016

With velia.net you can have them install a Windows 2012r2 instance which you can then control via a Remote Desktop Client. You can also can manage your server with KVM/IPMI which is very handy.

My ping time to gdc1.ibllc.com(IB US) is 96ms and 7ms to the IB European server.

regards,

Alex

bluefightingcat

Postby bluefightingcat » 24 Sep 2016

hughesfleming: This is really interesting. I've very inexperienced with these things but from what I understand you are just renting a computer (server) from the company in Frankfurt. You then install Multicharts on it and run things as usual?

How do you connect to the server. Is it essentially like using "teamviewer"?

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 24 Sep 2016

bluefightingcat: I use something called mRemoteNG which is a Remote Desktop Client (RDP). There are several different apps available that do mostly the same thing including one built into Windows 10. I can also login from an iPad if I need to.

You would need to understand some basic things about firewalls and power management in Windows 2012. It is pretty straight forward to install Multicharts.

regards,

Alex

TJ

Postby TJ » 24 Sep 2016

Quite a few MultiCharts users are using remote hosts.
You can do a search here to find the discussions.

Amazon is one of the most popular remote hosts.
For more information, you can do Google on AE2 (Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud).

simon007

Postby simon007 » 06 Jun 2019

Hi Tj,

Do you happen to which os the use?
Is it windows 2016/2019 server they use to run multicharts in the amazon cloud?

Thanks and regards,

Simon

Erik Pepping

Postby Erik Pepping » 01 Jul 2019

I'm using Strato Virtual private server with remote desktop for 5 years now. Excellent and very cheap.
See www.strato.de and www.strato.nl for German and Dutch site. Use google to translate the page.

I have the cheapest server for 9 Euro / Month. I run automated systems there.
Is cheaper then my electriciy at home for full continous operation.

Can connect from everywhere even from my phone with RDP for Android.

simon007

Postby simon007 » 02 Jul 2019

Thanks Erik, I will check it out!

dahmen walter

Postby dahmen walter » 02 Jul 2019

I have the cheapest server for 9 Euro / Month. I run automated systems there.
Is cheaper then my electriciy at home for full continous operation.
https://www.strato.de/server/windows-vserver/ starts with 10 € with2 vCores and 2 GB RAM -
Since a week I have it on a machine with 4 vCores and 8 GB RAM on RAID 10 SSD and I feel a considerable delay in
operations compared to my I 7 3770 with 16 GB RAM.

What are your eperiences with your equipment (please specify) in regard to smooth operations - my providers machines
are located at Nuremberg.

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 04 Jul 2019

Hi Everyone,

I had a lot of similar thoughts recently, with my hardware bogging down my productivity when traveling. I'd like a good solution, but I know myself and even the smallest latency would go on my nerves.

My solution that I'm investigating - and I'm not entirely sure if it's applicable just yet -, is instead of TeamViewer/RDP to use Citrix Virtualapp.

The idea there is that the app (hopefully) would look genuinely like something running on your local computer, with the GUI and the content of the window effectively rendered by the server and downloaded. This way I could imagine this solution working for me.

Has anyone tested this before?

-Ben

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 05 Jul 2019

Hi Ben,

If you ran Windows 2012/2016 server on a dedicated machine somewhere, the experience with RDP is exactly that. It looks and feels local and you can cut and paste between desktops. It is a great way of working. You don't need Teamviewer or Citrix as everything is already built in.

The key to a good experience is still minimum latency so you need to find the balance between where you are located and where you are connecting to. I am about 60/70 ms from my server and I have no trouble working on it all day long. In my case, I am connecting to Frankfurt from Malta and then to IB in Switzerland so keeping the paths relatively short makes a big difference. I did have a machine in the US for testing at some point and that was too far to have a good experience. Anything over 120ms and you will probably feel the latency.

Having a server in a good datacenter has many advantages. The step up in connectivity speed over residential internet is quite noticeable. I tried running a VPS in the beginning and it is not the same. Even if it is high spec, I would never consider going that route again.

regards,

Alex

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 05 Jul 2019

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the response. I'm aware of RDP - but the whole point of the discussion is being able to travel and work and set up quick temporary workstations, regardless of where my datacenter is at. So my whole point with the Citrix idea was to try to avoid having to think about latency altogether. And it's an inexpensive solution, too, if it works. :)

-Ben

Return to “MultiCharts”