Install MC On New Machine  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Install MC On New Machine

Postby tony » 08 Oct 2016

I had a hard drive fail this week so have to reinstall MC after the repair. I own a lifetime license. When I start up MC I register my license info, but when I go to help => about it shows Licensed To: (Evaluation copy) therefore my signals which reference username are telling me the two don't match and turning off. Any idea how to have MC realize it's me, an owner of a license and NOT someone evaluating?

In other news, if anyone used image back up in Windows, I strongly suggest you look into other options. Fortunately I save my WS, etc elsewhere. Because after three days of trial I can't get the image to restore. Just an FYI.

tony

Re: Install MC On New Machine

This may be one of those posts where I answer my own questions. I found my SWREG receipt which had login credentials. When I enter those then go to home => about I see my license info. BUT my User ID is different. Is that a unique number that changes with new installs?

tony

Looks like user id does change. Same IP address, same machine, just a new install with a different hard drive. My signals work fine when I update the user ID and the only constant throughout was user name never changed. So I'm up and running, but now curious, why does user ID change in this instance?

tony

Another question if "anyone is listening."

In the databases directory (c:\programdata\TSsupport\multicharts64\databases) there are three files

FBportfolio.GDB, TScache.GDB and TSstorage.GDB.

Fortunately I backed up my data on an external drive and have a file TSstorage.GDB but I don't seem to see the other 2 in my back up. At least I haven't found them.

If I take my backed up TSstorage.GDB file and overwrite the current TSstorage.GDB (or rename that first and then paste it), is that all I need to do, to import my backed up data?

I'm not sure what those other two files are and why I'm not finding them.

Thank You -

arnie

Postby arnie » 09 Oct 2016

User ID is given to each computer automatically according to computer's hardware when you install MultiCharts
See more information here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50049

After you’ve pasted the databases folder you need to run the DataUpdater.exe.
While all MultiCharts processes are closed right click on the MultiCharts shortcut –> Properties –> "Shortcut" tab –> select "open file location".
In the appeared window run the DataUpdater.exe.
Then run the QuoteManager.

See more information here https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _User_Data

There're a couple of files you need always back up. The entire Multicharts folder (C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64).You can opt out the InstallerCache and PaperTrading folders but the other 3 you should backup. Databases where all QM's data is, StudyServer is where all your studies in PLE are and TradingCenter where all your live trades are stored.

Regarding studies backup, I advise to always export your studies using PLE export tool because I had bad experiences with the StudyServer folder before.

Also, don't forget the folder where you save your workspaces.

There are another 2 folders you should backup, Hotkeys (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\TS Support\MultiCharts64\HotKeys) and PLEditor (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\TS Support\MultiCharts64\PLEditor.
Hotkeys store all your keyboard shortcuts and PLEditor stores all your custom folders in PLE

Having a backup software, you can schedule an automatic backup of all these files, for example, once a day, so you have always everything updated with the most recent changes.
I personally have my data automatically backed up once a day to two different locations, to an external drive (NAS) and to the cloud (OneDrive).

tony

Re: Install MC On New Machine  [SOLVED]

Postby tony » 09 Oct 2016

Arnie you rock! Thank you for taking the time to write the above.

Fortunately I was able to restore all my data following the steps you wrote. The procedure I had planned to use, restoring an image back up, was not as seamless as anticipated. But at least I have my data and a plan going forward.

I like your approach and will follow something similar going forward. Thanks again!

Return to “MultiCharts”