Chart interplay between Renko and Points type bars  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PD Quig

Chart interplay between Renko and Points type bars

Postby PD Quig » 19 Oct 2016

I've got a signal that trades off 3 Point bars, with multiple entries calculated based on retracements from synthetic "renko bars" that I calculate myself in the signal code. I coded these synthetic, on-the-fly renko bars a long time ago when MC's renko bars were pretty basic. The code handles all the execution (entries, stops, and targets).

To qualify these trades, I use calculations based on criteria taken from a 1.0 Renko chart that incorporates swing and other data. To date, I've been manually setting up trades when the criteria trigger. These trades only trigger once or twice a day and don't require split second reaction, but it would still be very helpful to have trade qualification--and subsequent disqualification from time to time--handled automatically.

So, what I've been trying to do the past few days is to add the 1.0 renko setup criteria to the 3 point execution code, but have found some wierdness in how range and renko bars play together: 1) When the 1.0 renko is data1 and the 3 point is data2, playback and backtesting do strange things (haven't tried Sim broker in real time yet but I assume it will work) 2) When the 1.0 renko is added as data2 to the 3 point chart, the wicks will not plot and pivots (swings) float disconnected above the bars.

I know I could use a global variable to pass the setup to the execution code, but that's another moving part / opportunity for failure and also makes backtesting even more painful. I have found over the years that creating separate versions of code to do backtesting vs. execution just doesn't work very well and version control is a pain.

The final solution would be to just extend my synthetic renko calculations and store the swing and other data I need for qualification in arrays and completely do away with the renko bars--basically creating my own renko bars instead of using MC's functionality. I'd like not to have to do that.

If anybody has any insights, tips, or lessons learned in this arena I'd appreciate your input.

-PDQ
Attachments
2016-10-19_Renkos have no wicks.png
In data2 position selecting "show wicks" doesn't work
(90.81 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
2016-10-19_Renko is data2.png
How it looks when renko bars are set as data2
(31.26 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
2016-10-19_Renko is data1.png
How it looks when renko bars are set as data1
(40.6 KiB) Downloaded 736 times

PD Quig

Re: Chart interplay between Renko and Points type bars

Postby PD Quig » 20 Oct 2016

Never mind.

After spending most of today experimenting, I've decided that mixing Renko bars and other bar types on one chart to do analysis is a fool's errand. No matter which data stream the Renko bars are assigned to, there are problems in playback, backtesting, chart plotting, execution--or some combination thereof.

In the final analysis it's easier for me to create my own "synthetic" Renko bars on the fly based on tick data and to store them in an array to be used for trade qualification calculations. This has the added benefit of having fewer moving parts.

Cheers.

-PDQ

Smoky

Re: Chart interplay between Renko and Points type bars  [SOLVED]

Postby Smoky » 21 Oct 2016

LoL Another MC user who make his own Renko !

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 21 Oct 2016

You too, eh Smoky?

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 22 Oct 2016

Yes ! i don't undestand why MC team don't like non-regular bar !

but they progress in renko !, now we can have OHLC history ...

maybe soon, real tick by tick replay on all bar type..
Last edited by Smoky on 22 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 22 Oct 2016

"I have a dream..."

Debugging strategies with Renko bars is currently like trying to thread a needle behind your back: with enough iterations you can eventually get there--but is it worth the effort?

Cheers!

Return to “MultiCharts”