Run 3 same strategies in a chart

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tradingest

Run 3 same strategies in a chart

Postby tradingest » 20 Nov 2016

Hi all,

Can I run three same strategies in the same chart with take profit different but the same stop?
There are contraindications to load three strategies in a chart?

Thanks

tradingest

Re: Run 3 same strategies in a chart

Postby tradingest » 23 Nov 2016

somebody can you help me?

I have 3 strategies on the gold, 2 daily and 1 long term. It's possible manage these three strategies indipendently without 1 strategy corrupts the other one?

Any suggestions?

tradingest

Postby tradingest » 26 Nov 2016

Any suggestions?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 27 Nov 2016

Can I run three same strategies in the same chart with take profit different but the same stop?
The short answer: no, because individual signals are combined by MultiCharts into one strategy and orders are aggregated on that level.

The longer answer: yes, you can communicate data between different signals on the same chart (with global variables or with `SetPlotValue()` and `GetPlotValue()`), but this gives a lot of additional coding work and testing. Personally, I wouldn't trust this "solution" quickly because a small error or miscommunication somewhere can get all three strategies out of balance. So there's a lot of complexity and "gotchas" 'hidden' behind this approach.

Have you thought about combining the code of the three different signals into one signal script? Then they can share information (like variables) much easier.
There are contraindications to load three strategies in a chart?
No, adding several signals to the same chart works perfectly fine. MultiCharts does it for years now.
I have 3 strategies on the gold, 2 daily and 1 long term. It's possible manage these three strategies indipendently without 1 strategy corrupts the other one?
It depends on what you mean with 'managing' and 'corrupting', but several signals added to the same chart will be combined into one strategy by MultiCharts. So they won't be independent anymore.

Perhaps trading the same instrument from multiple charts is a solution? There's a whole wiki page dedicated to that in case that might help you: trading from multiple charts on one instrument.

Return to “MultiCharts”