Seasonal Day Trade

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
BC_Trading

Seasonal Day Trade

Postby BC_Trading » 28 Nov 2016

Hi,

i am new to this forum and multicharts. I am trading since the mid 90s Futures and Options and i can be described as a discretionary trader. My favourite markets are the grains, oilseeds and the livestock markets in chicago. Until now i did all my seasonal studies on excel and i am a big fan of the Trading day of week and month studies i am using since the early 2000. Since one week i own multicharts and try to do all the testing with multicharts instead of excel.

I found a seasonal indicator for TS on there https://www.TS.com/education/ ... ice-cycles , but the code is not running in Multicharts. Did anyone tried this study in MC and solved the problem?

My second Question based on the paper of William Brower "The S&P 500 Daily Day Trade". Instead of using a Trading DAy of Month he introduced a filter wich he called Day of the Week in Month. Each Day of the Week in Month is designated by a two-digit number, and all end in a number between "1" and "5", representing the day of the working week. The list includes numbers as high as "55", because the first "5" stands for the fifth occurence. All months other than February have at least two days of the week that appear five times. Any Idea how i can create a kind of this filter by myself.

example: Third Thursday in Momth = 34, 5th Friday in Month = 55 and so on.

I created my own TradingDayofMonth indicator, but i have absolutely no clue how to create a function to count the 3rd Friday in a month.

Any ideas?

regards

H.

rrams

Re: Seasonal Day Trade

Postby rrams » 29 Nov 2016

H, That seasonal indicator for TS makes (unnecessary) use of an object oriented language extension which MC does not support.
You could easily replace the vector creation function call with an ordinary array; however, the indicator is meant for monthly or weekly bars and MC only supports daily or less continuous contracts (custom futures).

When first starting out learning MC I would not try to find internet code that needs to be modified just a lil bit to accomplish how you think you want to trade. Instead I would start demo trading in the manner I know I can accomplish programatically. That is: childishly simple, then progress in complexity. Otherwise you will not understand when something is not working.

Not sure how you want to use your filter. It could be written as a function called DOMI something like this:

Code: Select all

switch(DayOfWeek(CurrentDate)) // current day of week 0=Sunday, 6=Saturday
begin
case 1 to 5: DOMI=((DayOfWeek(CurrentDate)*10)+Ceiling(DayOfMonth(CurrentDate)/7.0));
default: #return;
end;

Return to “MultiCharts”