Automatic Backup of Multicharts Studies/Files

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
trader0311

Automatic Backup of Multicharts Studies/Files

Postby trader0311 » 29 Dec 2016

Hi,

Is it possible to create a backup, preferably one that is scheduled to run at a user defined frequency, of all my studies/indicators/workspaces in a location of my choosing (ie a cloud based system like Dropbox).

If I lose my machine I am screwed if this is not possible. I know it was possible in TS.

If this is not available, it seems to be a pretty important improvement for MC to implement.

siscop

Re: Automatic Backup of Multicharts Studies/Files

Postby siscop » 29 Dec 2016

3 different possible ways.

Just automate it with your OS and copy the folders where ever you want to.
In Linux it is called cronjob
Windows - in german Aufgabenplanung
Windows - in english I dont know :oops:

MC - preferences- directories if you want to choose another drive also directly to your local dropbox folder :)

OR just create a hard link to another drive (also to your local dropbox subfolder :wink: )

How to create a hard link in windows
MKLINK /J sorcefolder destinationfolder

Example
MKLINK /J "C:\Benutzer\Administrator\AppData\Local\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Cache" "D:\dropbox\MC64Cache"
with dropbox being your local dropbox harddrive folder

The destinationfolder has to excist and the sorcefolder should not excist. So copy your original sorcefolder temporary somewhere else before you start.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 30 Dec 2016

Is it possible to create a backup, preferably one that is scheduled to run at a user defined frequency, of all my studies/indicators/workspaces in a location of my choosing (ie a cloud based system like Dropbox).

If I lose my machine I am screwed if this is not possible.
To add to Siscop's workflow, on Windows I do the following:

1) Periodic backup with 'Cobian backup', a free software program that can backup several folders into one zip file. For backing up MultiCharts and MultiCharts .NET, I have that program backup the following folders every Wednesday and Saturday:

- C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\TS Support
- C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\MultiCharts .NET (contains all the workspaces, in my case)
- C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts .NET64\StudyServer\Techniques (the MultiCharts .NET scripts)
- C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\StudyServer\Studies\SrcEl (the MultiCharts scripts)
(I don't backup the database; see the wiki article about backup user data for all MultiCharts data to backup.)

2) I have 'Cobian backup' create a zip file of those folders on my second hard drive and external USB drive.

3) That folder on that second hard drive is linked to my Sync.com account (a Dropbox alternative) which backups the zip file to the cloud. This way I have a backup on my own computer, a portable USB drive, and online.

serioustrader

Postby serioustrader » 09 Jan 2017

I just save my studies and templates to a google drive synced folder

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 09 Jan 2017

I prefer to do a complete "drive Image" , that way if the drive crashes, I simply swap in the image drive and I'm running back to full speed in about 5 minutes... no need to re-install any applications or data..

I also manually copy my studies and workspaces to another computer....since I do work on both machines.

I use Acronis "True Image" , simple to use and only about 20 min to copy entire SSD.. (250gb or so)... No affiliation with Acronis just a happy customer for many years...

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 10 Jan 2017

Hello trader0311,

I am happy to inform you that we are currently working on the Automatic Backup feature. It is planned for one of the upcoming Releases, but there is no ETA yet. I will keep you posted!

arnie

Postby arnie » 11 Jan 2017

Hello trader0311,

I am happy to inform you that we are currently working on the Automatic Backup feature. It is planned for one of the upcoming Releases, but there is no ETA yet. I will keep you posted!
That is great news!

When you say automatic, will we be able to use one of the existing cloud services, for instance, OneDrive?
One of the things an automatic backup would serve best would be with workspaces.
Will you fix the issue that exist with workspaces when shared using a cloud service?
Having our workspaces saved on a shared folder, on our cloud service is by far the simplest way to have them always available on other PC's. The problem is that there's an issue that make the shared workspace file corrupted :(

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 20 Jan 2017

Arnie,

You will be able to choose the OneDrive/Dropbox folder as a Backup Directory.

Can you please give more details on the corruption of shared workspaces? Did you report it via Email or on the Discussion Forum?

arnie

Postby arnie » 20 Jan 2017

Yes, I did mentioned it via email if I'm not mistaken.

Imagine I have a workspace that as a size of 600kb on my laptop which I save directly into my OneDrive folder.
I go to my desktop and open that same workspace through the shared folder and saved it there too.
Some times that workspace opens fine, other times that workspace, which had 600kb of size is now 0kb of size, and MC cannot open the file.
The reply I received was this was happening do to the fact I'm saving it on a shared folder, in this case, my OneDrive shared folder.
When I stopped saving my workspaces in the shared folder I had no more issues with the workspaces.

So something is happening with the workspace files that when saved on a shared folder, they become in a way corrupted since MC no longer recognize them.

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 24 Jan 2017

Arnie,

We were unable to reproduce it on our side.

However, after some research I've found multiple complaints about saving files to OneDrive from different software. So it seems to be OneDrive issue, not a MultiCharts one.

Return to “MultiCharts”