compile error:"line 0, column 0"  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
swisstrader

compile error:"line 0, column 0"

Postby swisstrader » 05 Feb 2017

I've exported a x.pla file from my MC64 editor v10 b13626.
This pla file I've imported in a MC 32 bit editor v10 b13625.

I get always the error: compile error:"line 0, column 0"

This here did not help to solve the issue.
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lumnEnd_0)

Please advise how to solve the issue or confirm that this is a bug in v10.

Thank you.

-swisstrader
Last edited by swisstrader on 15 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: compile error:"line 0, column 0"

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Feb 2017

Hello swisstrader,

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST.
To do that click on Live Chat icon at the top of our web page https://www.multicharts.com/
We will do our best to help you.

stefanols

Postby stefanols » 06 Feb 2017

Hi,

I can confirm that I also get this error once in a while.

So far it has been enough to restart the PC and then it works again.

When you restart you have to recompile.
Because there is no error in the code.

Would be good it if could be fixed.

Best regards

Stefan
Last edited by stefanols on 06 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

evdl

Postby evdl » 06 Feb 2017

Have the same experience with this as Stefanois.

Once in a while this error occures. Restart of MC alone does not work, you have to restart the PC as well.

Gaempi

Postby Gaempi » 07 Feb 2017

I had the same issue. Only a restart of the workstation helps.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Feb 2017

stefanols, evdl, Gaempi,

If you are running Windows 10 then such error can appear after a system update was installed.
You need to reboot you PC to be able to compile the studies.
This is a system error in the address spacing that we cannot affect.

swisstrader

Postby swisstrader » 07 Feb 2017

I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1. I could for more than 15 months successfully avoid to get forced the hidden installation of Windows 10 by MicroShit updates.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Feb 2017

swisstrader,

I have already replied to your inquiry above:
Hello swisstrader,

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 1 pm EST.
To do that click on Live Chat icon at the top of our web page https://www.multicharts.com/
We will do our best to help you.

swisstrader

Postby swisstrader » 15 Feb 2017

Thanks Henry, I'll wait for the next release of MC64 v10.

-swisstrader

tony

Postby tony » 15 Feb 2017

In about 3-4 years I have experienced it only 2. Each time I had to change the registry entry per the wiki instructions, reboot my machine and voila, it was back. I haven't had to change the directory path per the wiki instructions either time. Just a registry edit and reboot. Not a huge deal in my opinion regarding frequency.

Gaempi

Postby Gaempi » 19 Sep 2017

Hello

I have installed MC 11 R2 today. After that i got compile error:"line 0, column 0" compiling strategies. i have reinstalled (repaired) MC 11 R2 and rebooted the workstation, but i got the same error message again and again.

What i have to do? What tony (above) recommend? how can i change the registry entry an what i have to change?

Thanks!

LRP

Postby LRP » 19 Sep 2017

I had the same problem. Deinstall (not repair) MC and install again, that fixed the problem at my side.

Flatstrap

Re: compile error:"line 0, column 0"  [SOLVED]

Postby Flatstrap » 12 Apr 2018

Hi guys, I've been having the same issue on Windows 10 x64 running Multicharts 11.0 Release (Build 14943). To solve I
1. shutdown multicharts and checked all multicharts processes were killed.
2. cleared the following TEMP directory
C:\Users\%usename%\AppData\Local\Temp - the %usename% is your login name for that PC.

It's similar to the wiki, however I didn't change the TEMP or TMP directory location, just cleared it (#note when you clear the TEMP directory some files can be deleted as they are in use, just skip them.)
wiki: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lumnEnd_0)

Editing the registry and moving the study server didn't fix the problem for me, how ever I did do that prior to clearing the temp directory, so maybe doing both resolved it?

Hope this helps someone.
Flatstrap

khalaad

compile error:"line 0, column 0"

Postby khalaad » 26 Sep 2018

Don't remember a single instance of compile error line 0, column 0 with MultiCharts 11 :)
No so with MultiCharts 12 64-bit Release Version: 12.0.16868 :(
Khalid

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 26 Sep 2018

Hi Everyone,

The v12 of MultiCharts seems to solve many problems with the way the optimizer handles studies that are currently being used on charts, and many other issues. However you are right - unfortunately the "Compile error" issue seems to show up much much more often for me as well.

At least one part of the issue, I've found, has to do with administrative privileges and file access rights.

What seems to have fixed the issue for me a couple of times was following these steps:

1. Set all MC executables to run with admin rights (click the "advanced" button on the properties of the shortcut and click the "run as administrator" checkbox). Do it on every executable including quotemanager,

2. Kill all MC executables or just reboot the computer,

3. When re-starting, only start the powerlanguage editor first, don't start any other executables,

4. Re-compile ALL studies functions and indicators manually using the function under the "Compile" menu.

You're done. If it didn't work, then try the following:

1. Do a backup using MC's backup app,

2. Kill all MC executables or just reboot the computer,

3. Do a full restore & recompile of all studies functions and indicators from the backup you just made,

I hope this helps.

-Ben

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Sep 2018

Hi Everyone,

The v12 of MultiCharts seems to solve many problems with the way the optimizer handles studies that are currently being used on charts, and many other issues. However you are right - unfortunately the "Compile error" issue seems to show up much much more often for me as well.

At least one part of the issue, I've found, has to do with administrative privileges and file access rights.

. . .

-Ben

"Administrative privileges and file access rights" are the basic requirements of using the Windows operating system. It has nothing to do with MultiCharts. This is like driving a car, if you do not have the keys to the car, you cannot open the doors or start the engine. Having a driving license will not help you.

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 27 Sep 2018

Hi TJ,

Yes., however sometimes situations arise that cause conflicts.

For example, in order to run the TS data connector plugin, you will need to run MC with administrative privileges. And if the studies on the charts are compiled by another user, then you will probably be required to recompile them as admin in order for them to run. And then when you stop running the TS connection and want to go back to running MC as a normal user, you can't do it anymore because you have no rights to run the studies. This is one example where I ran into an issue with a lot of compile errors.

However, for the interest of full disclosure I have to add,, the solution above does not solve the problem 100% of the time. On v12 and on some studies I'm still getting compile errors with nothing specified, and I'm still trying to figure out why, so if someone has a better idea what to check then please share. It might be that I just didn't thoroughly recompile everything from scratch though - as other users say a reinstall solves te problem, and if that's true then my theory about privileges could be correct.

-Ben

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Sep 2018

What is your Windows version?

Are you using a remote host computer?
Is this a shared computer?

When you are installing MC, you must install as an Administrator.
You must check to make sure you have read and write privileges to all the directories and subdirectories.

c0ntango

Windows 10, it's a local computer, not shared and I have the privileges :)

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Sep 2018

Windows 10, it's a local computer, not shared and I have the privileges :)

Which W10 version?

c0ntango

Windows 10 pro 64 bit, 1803 build 17134.286

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Oct 2018

Don't remember a single instance of compile error line 0, column 0 with MultiCharts 11 :)
No so with MultiCharts 12 64-bit Release Version: 12.0.16868 :(
unfortunately the "Compile error" issue seems to show up much much more often for me as well.
The Compiler Error may occur regardless of the MultiCharts version installed. In most cases it is an issue with the short paths being disabled in the Windows Registry (NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation) or the address spacing issue after installing a Windows update.

If you are running Windows 10, and the compilation worked without this error before, then it can start appearing after a system update was installed. This has been the most frequent reason for the error due to the increased market share of Windows 10 in recent times. You need to do a clean reboot of your PC (without any updates being applied) to be able to compile the studies.

If that is not the case - please follow these instructions to resolve the issue:
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... mnEnd_0%29
In most of the cases we can also tell what specifially needs to be done by examining your compiler_error.log from C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\StudyServer\Studies\

Since MultiCharts 12 Release 2, the installer sets the proper NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation value and tells you to reboot the PC (if required) to continue the installation. This prevents the error that is related to the disabled short paths from happening on a clean installation.
Since MultiCharts 12 Release 3, the file access rights are being checked and granted (if necessary) upon starting PowerLanguage Editor.
We continue to work on the subject and are going to have more improvements in the future versions.

lantama

Postby lantama » 22 Oct 2018

Hello, I had this error and chaneged a lot according to the 'tutorial' around this issue. Now the error log shows this:

internal error in mingw32_gt_pch_use_address, at config/i386/host-mingw32.c:171: MapViewOfFileEx: Es wurde versucht, auf eine unzulässige Adresse zuzugreifen.

The last part means: Tried to access an invalid adress

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Oct 2018

Hello, I had this error and chaneged a lot according to the 'tutorial' around this issue. Now the error log shows this:

internal error in mingw32_gt_pch_use_address, at config/i386/host-mingw32.c:171: MapViewOfFileEx: Es wurde versucht, auf eine unzulässige Adresse zuzugreifen.

The last part means: Tried to access an invalid adress
Please close MultiCharts and all of its processes. Make sure that no processes with MultiCharts in Description remain in Task Manager -> Processes (Win7) or Details (Win8) tab: 
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... _Processes 
After that is done go to the Windows Control Panel-> Programs and Features -> MultiCharts64 -> double left click –> Next-> Repair.

lantama

Postby lantama » 23 Oct 2018

Hello Henry,

I reinstalled MC64. Closed all processes, rebooted, deinstalled, rebooted, installed. But I did this with keeping data and settings.
Still get the same error. I will try to repair as well, but I think this won't help in this case.

stefanols

Postby stefanols » 23 Oct 2018

Is it on all indicators or just a specific one?

lantama

On all I think. This is a live system thus I stoped producing errors

lantama

Downgrading to 11? I am using MC from the first version on. Never had this issue before. This error is crucial for me.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Oct 2018

Downgrading is not a solution. Please contact us via email or the live chat.

lantama

Postby lantama » 24 Oct 2018

I downgraded, upgraded again. Used different folders. At the moment it is working. But there is still something in the compiler log:

C:\PROGRA~1\TSSUPP~1\MULTIC~1\make\MinGW64\bin\dlltool: Path components stripped from dllname, 'C:\PROGRA~3\TSSUPP~1\MULTIC~1\STUDYS~1\Studies\SrcCpp\INDICA~1\IA__RO~1.dll'.
C:\PROGRA~1\TSSUPP~1\MULTIC~1\make\MinGW64\bin\dlltool: Path components stripped from dllname, 'C:\PROGRA~3\TSSUPP~1\MULTIC~1\STUDYS~1\Studies\SrcCpp\INDICA~1\IA__RO~1.dll'.

Is this an issue?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Oct 2018

I downgraded, upgraded again. Used different folders. At the moment it is working. But there is still something in the compiler log:

Is this an issue?
If the studies are compiled ok then these messages should be ignored.

lantama

Postby lantama » 31 Oct 2018

Okay, fine. Thanks

Hunsberger

Postby Hunsberger » 16 Dec 2020

Hi guys, I've been having the same issue on Windows 10 x64 running Multicharts 11.0 Release (Build 14943). To solve I
1. shutdown multicharts and checked all multicharts processes were killed.
2. cleared the following TEMP directory
C:\Users\%usename%\AppData\Local\Temp - the %usename% is your login name for that PC.

It's similar to the wiki, however I didn't change the TEMP or TMP directory location, just cleared it (#note when you clear the TEMP directory some files can be deleted as they are in use, just skip them.)
wiki: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... lumnEnd_0)

Editing the registry and moving the study server didn't fix the problem for me, how ever I did do that prior to clearing the temp directory, so maybe doing both resolved it?

Hope this helps someone.
Flatstrap

I did all of the steps from the wiki and still had the compile error- after both reinstalling MC as well as changing the short path. However when I simply shortened my code from 10,000 lines to about 3,000 the signal suddenly compiled properly - no need for reboot or or even closing out of the compiler. Shortening my code also worked on my other computer that I had the same error but did not go through any of the reinstalling or short path fixes.

My question is: does the Multichart's compiler have a preferred code length ? Should I aim to keep it under a certain number of lines?

Fu510n

Postby Fu510n » 17 Dec 2020

I did all of the steps from the wiki and still had the compile error- after both reinstalling MC as well as changing the short path. However when I simply shortened my code from 10,000 lines to about 3,000 the signal suddenly compiled properly - no need for reboot or or even closing out of the compiler. Shortening my code also worked on my other computer that I had the same error but did not go through any of the reinstalling or short path fixes.

My question is: does the Multichart's compiler have a preferred code length ? Should I aim to keep it under a certain number of lines?
I've experienced this EXACT behavior over the years adjusting the length of EL source just to get the code to compile (I'm seeing it now with v12 at the moment). I would love to know why this happens and what could be done as it's very difficult to avoid large/monolithic source files without jumping through a lot of global variable sharing complexity.

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 17 Dec 2020

This is a nasty one. Have you tried my solution outlined above?

If yes, and it didn't work then so far from what I've seen you have 2 options:

1.) comment/uncomment portions of the code until the problem goes away,
2.) If persist and/or impossible to debug otherwise, you probably have an issue with file permissions because sometimes you might be running MC in admin mode and sometimes not (due to TS integration for example - was required, not sure now). In which case you need to get on a call with support and ask them to log on and fix it for you.

Hope this helps!

Fu510n

Postby Fu510n » 17 Dec 2020

This is a nasty one. Have you tried my solution outlined above?

If yes, and it didn't work then so far from what I've seen you have 2 options:

1.) comment/uncomment portions of the code until the problem goes away,
2.) If persist and/or impossible to debug otherwise, you probably have an issue with file permissions because sometimes you might be running MC in admin mode and sometimes not (due to TS integration for example - was required, not sure now). In which case you need to get on a call with support and ask them to log on and fix it for you.

Hope this helps!
#1 ... OR ... someone from the MC development team can chime in and state what the root cause is. Seems to be an issue with the gcc compiler if I had to fathom a guess; commenting out code isn't a viable long-term solution. As a lifetime license owner who's been using MC for a LONG time, I'm obviously willing to tolerate the nits vs. the significant number of things they do right, but it's gotten old :(.

c0ntango

Postby c0ntango » 18 Dec 2020

I see what you mean, but if this issue is still around then this is not trivial.

I've had a support team member log on to my computer and fix the permission issues. It all went away, I was struggling with this error every day, now it NEVER happens.

I'm bound to think it's not even their fault. Integrating with TS probably required admin privileges. That would be unexpected and would cause random things now with permissions. Then the compiler suffers.

I can see how something like this would happen. We are working with a pretty complex piece of software, man.

Just ask support to fix permissions, I'm telling you, it worked for me :)

Return to “MultiCharts”