[Request] Bar magnifier for non-standard chart types

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Mydesign

[Request] Bar magnifier for non-standard chart types

Postby Mydesign » 19 Feb 2017

Hello,

I guess this has already been discussed, but MC clearly lacks a realistic backtest ability for non-standard chart types such as Heikin-Ashi, Line-Break, Renko, Etc.. Sure we can always toy with multi-datas and heavy scripting to overcome that, or even rewrite our own custom bar datas, but heck this is not an option for many of us.

One straightforward way to (partially) overcome this limitation would simply be to implement their compatibility with the Bar Magnifier feature. Please consider this as a "must have".

Please vote for this:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/public/m ... es/MC-2174

Thank you :wink:

bensat

Re: [Request] Bar magnifier for non-standard chart types

Postby bensat » 19 Feb 2017

Backtest in a 1 tick timeframe ... in my opinion it's the most realistic approach. You just have to adapt your code to that ....

Regards

Ben

GuppyDRV

Postby GuppyDRV » 17 Jun 2017

@bensat

How would this work? Are you thinking using two data series with data 1 being 1 tick with a standard candle stick chart type and data 2 being whatever it is you use with the non standard bar type?

Would the signals your strategy generates still not have the inherent error associated with the non standard bar type?

Can someone from Multicharts comment briefly on how someone could accurately backtest a non standard chart type like a Kagi or Renko. I have not used either but am interested and would like to try a few things with them if I can accurately test.

GuppyDRV

GuppyDRV

Postby GuppyDRV » 17 Jun 2017

This is the help page for non standard bar types.

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... x.php/Kagi

The reference for differences between standard and non standard are a bit confusing. Can someone with more knowledge expand on this concept.

GuppyDRV

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 18 Jun 2017

The reference for differences between standard and non standard are a bit confusing.
For the least, it is very confusing and it lacks detailed explanations ! Specially this:
Auto trading orders on Kagi Chart Type:
There are some differences between Regular and Kagi chart types with regards to order generation in real time and backtesting.

Backtesting and Data Playback:
There is no difference between order generation on Regular and Kagi chart types with regards to Backtesting and Data Playback.
But anyway, point is: unrealistic backtest. I really hope that the new coming "custom bar" feature will make things better on that side. Can MC staff confirm ?

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 19 Jun 2017

good !

+1000

LOL backtest WILL BE ALWAYS unrealistic.

The only way to have a backtest near real is to play tick/tick for all bar type ... with bid / ask FIRST

all other software start to do this ...

Return to “MultiCharts”