tracking price and time in v 3.0

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tortoise

tracking price and time in v 3.0

Postby tortoise » 17 Apr 2008

Hello -- I'm concerned that v 3.0 represents a step backwards from v 2.1 -- unless I'm mistaken here. In v 2.1, I am able to use the synchronize my cursor tracking amongst different workspaces. In v 3.0, that seems to be no longer the case.

Just to be clear, this is what I mean:

Let's say I have two separate workspaces open, w1.wsp and w2.wsp. In v. 2.1, if I've placed the crosshairs, say, at 9:46 a.m. at a price of 1428 in the chart window of w1.wsp, the crosshairs in the chart window of w2.wsp will also be in the same time/price location, and a click of the left mouse button will ensure that the two charts will display the same temporal location.

So far as I can tell, this is not an option on v. 3.0.

Hopefully, I'm mistaken. I must be, right?

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 17 Apr 2008

If you mean synchronized cross-hairs, it does work in ver 3. You have to left click on the normal cross-hair ,then left click on the one next to it with the "p" , it gives the option of using both or using just the std one, it's a nice feature. (p= parallel ?)

Marina Pashkova

Re: tracking price and time in v 3.0

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Apr 2008

Hello -- I'm concerned that v 3.0 represents a step backwards from v 2.1 -- unless I'm mistaken here. In v 2.1, I am able to use the synchronize my cursor tracking amongst different workspaces. In v 3.0, that seems to be no longer the case.

Just to be clear, this is what I mean:

Let's say I have two separate workspaces open, w1.wsp and w2.wsp. In v. 2.1, if I've placed the crosshairs, say, at 9:46 a.m. at a price of 1428 in the chart window of w1.wsp, the crosshairs in the chart window of w2.wsp will also be in the same time/price location, and a click of the left mouse button will ensure that the two charts will display the same temporal location.

So far as I can tell, this is not an option on v. 3.0.

Hopefully, I'm mistaken. I must be, right?
Hi tortoise,

There is synchronization between different workspaces in 3.0.

It looks like you are talking about is different instances of the program not the workspaces. There used to be a synchronization b/w different instances of MultiCharts in old versions. This is not the case anymore in the new version because it has detachable windows thus running several copies of the program in unnecessary.

tortoise

Hi Marina -- Thanks for your reply. I'm not finding the functionality you describe so I'm wondering if you can help. Yes, it's clear that windows within the same workspace can be detached and moved to separate monitors, but it appears to be impossible to view windows from separate workspaces running from the same copy of MultiCharts.

Specifically, let's say we're running one copy of MC. Within that one copy of MC we're running one workspace, WS1.wsp. Within WS1.wsp there are two windows. We detach these windows from the workspace and display them on separate monitors.

Now, we open a second workspace, WS2.wsp, with two windows of its own. When we do, however, WS1.wsp recedes to the background; we can see this on the workspace tabs that appear in the lower left-hand corner of the MC desktop (do you call them desktops? not sure, but, hopefully, you know what I mean): Either the WS1 tab is in front, or the WS2 tab is in front. Whichever workspace tab is in front indicates the workspace we can view. We cannot view the other workspace at the same time.

It's true that we can detach the windows of WS2.wsp as we did the windows from WS1.wsp, but at no time can we view all four windows simultaneously. Rather, we must "toggle" between these two workspaces, so long as they're running from the same copy of MC. If we'd wish to view these two workspaces simultaneously, we would have to run two separate copies of MC, as we have done in previous versions. Alas, time and price tracking will not synchronize among the multiple MC copies as it did before.

This seems to me to be an unfortunate step backwards. But, again, I'll be the first to admit I may be overlooking something here. Hopefully, I am. Please advise. Thanks again...

tortoise

Having said all this, I must add that the detachable windows are lovely...

holbrooke

Postby holbrooke » 17 Apr 2008

hi, this issue was brought up here and i thought it will be delivered. There no point having to snycronise across workspaces if it's not available for multiple instances.

This feature was promised. I hope this be delivered eventually.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=18190#18190

tortoise

Postby tortoise » 18 Apr 2008

Really? That's too bad.

Return to “MultiCharts”