Alternate editor for Powerlanguage  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
interfool

Alternate editor for Powerlanguage

Postby interfool » 15 Apr 2017

Is there any compatible alternate editor for PowerLanguage that's supported by Multicharts or compatible with it?

I'd like to be able to use different font sizes, italics, bold etc. and set my own colors, i.e. have more options in formatting code to separate sections of code, among other things.

Thanks,

Lew

Angelina MultiСharts

Re: Alternate editor for Powerlanguage  [SOLVED]

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 17 Apr 2017

Hello Lew,

Only the prebuilt editor is supported.

interfool

Re: Alternate editor for Powerlanguage

Postby interfool » 19 Apr 2017

Well, my two cents would be to add more controls over font size, bolding, italics, colors, etc.

But, the function area needs work before that. The lack of subroutines in powerlanguage makes larger programs hard. And the functions never seem to work right, variables don't seem to get updated well in functions called from a signal program, along with other issues. Been working in this area for years now in PowerLanguage. If I had more time, I'd make some recommendation.

Thanks for your quick response. Good support as always.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Apr 2017

::
variables don't seem to get updated well in functions called from a signal program,

This is a Procedural Language.

The script is read line-by-line, from the top to the bottom.

All variables will be updated according to its place in the script.
If your variables are not updated, you should check your code for logic errors.
No computer language is smart enough to single you out for pranks.

interfool

TJ, dunno how long you've been programming, but I've been doing it for 35 years. It's not that languages are smart, just the opposite. Gotta remember they were written by humans ;)

Thanks for the advice, tho. I've found in PowerLanguage that WHERE you place the code is vital as far as updating vars go, so you're 100% right. I just wish PowerLanguage had subroutines. Maybe too hard to do with all the price arrays needing to be updated constantly.

Re the functions, I've found some strange intermittent bugs in how they process both internal vars and data passed by reference. Wish I could pinpoint it, but being intermittent, it's been interesting to diagnose. Probably some error I'm making.

All the best to you in our coding endeavors.

Lew

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Apr 2017

TJ, dunno how long you've been programming, but I've been doing it for 35 years. It's not that languages are smart, just the opposite. Gotta remember they were written by humans ;)
Lew

If you have been programming for 35 yrs,
then you are using the wrong tools.

MultiCharts.net might be more suitable for you.

interfool

Yeah, I think you're right. Just been dreading the learning curve. Haven't done .net in years. Was just talking to my co-worker about that last night. So much more available in the .net version. Thanks for the validation. Powerlanguage is a great tool, but once you get deep into the weeds of complex automated trading systems, you quickly find it's limitations. Good to have both options.

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Apr 2017

I recall someone here once said he uses another editor for coding,
and with one click he could transfer the code back to PLE for compiling.

I don't remember which editor he was using; he said it was a free download, and the editor has a lot of customization capabilities.

Return to “MultiCharts”