Switching from FreeQuotes to IB

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Switching from FreeQuotes to IB

Postby bowlesj3 » 29 Jun 2017

Hi, I have been tracking a few Canadian/US stocks using Freequotes EOD charts (yahoo). I am going to be going back to trading during the day with an IB feed of Canadian stocks. I just funded my IB account and I have a few questions regarding the switch over.

How would I clear the three MC database files and start fresh with the IB data (but not reload MC itself or loose all my custom tool settings etc). I had a note on this but lost if and it may be too old now anyway.

The MC data does not go that far back (the daily bars and weekly bars do not go that far back - the minute bars are fine). Is there any way to merge the freequotes daily bars weekly bars data to extend the charts back? If not does anyone know of any reasonably good places to buy select data to take the MC charts farther back (preferably on select stocks to save disk space - I am only trading about 75 high volume stocks at the moment)? If this is possible how would I do the merge of the old data for select stocks?

This last one is not a question. I just thought I would point out that the freequote data for some stocks just got really messed up (it was fine for a long time). As you can see the extraneous data down below the regular data has messed up the chart, the bollinger band and the %R. See the attached chart. I guess Yahoo is having problems. My decision to get an IB feed had nothing to do with this but the decision was just in time :-)

Thanks,
John
Attachments
ENB_TO.png
(99.12 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

TJ

Re: Switching from FreeQuotes to IB

Postby TJ » 29 Jun 2017

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jun 2017

How would I clear the three MC database files and start fresh with the IB data (but not reload MC itself or loose all my custom tool settings etc). I had a note on this but lost if and it may be too old now anyway.

Thanks,
John

You can go to

C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Databases

and rename the .GDB files, (eg. TSSTORAGE_old.GDB)
then restart MC,
MultiCharts will create a blank database from scratch.

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jun 2017

The MC data does not go that far back (the daily bars and weekly bars do not go that far back - the minute bars are fine). Is there any way to merge the freequotes daily bars weekly bars data to extend the charts back?

Thanks,
John
MultiCharts saves the data in 3 formats -- tick, 1 minute, and daily.

Weekly charts are created on the fly from daily data.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Jul 2017

Hi TJ,

Thanks for your responses. I will get back to reviewing them when the Canada Day weekend is over :-)

Regarding my question about merging a purchased daily bar data with the IB daily bar data you sad
MultiCharts saves the data in 3 formats -- tick, 1 minute, and daily. Weekly charts are created on the fly from daily data.
Okay so I think I can find some daily bar data going back until the stock was listed (TS disk, metastock disk, whatever). I did some searches using "merge" on the forum and the wiki. I found a bit of info. I found "Merging Data Sources into a Single Chart". I will have to eventually try that. For now I am using BigCharts for my historical data which is possible because my system is a "systems trading" approach with a visual read of the data rather than a computer read of the data. Maybe that is all I need. Maybe merging into MC is just too much work to make it worth the effort. On the other hand it is nice to be able to mark the waves on a chart right back to when the stock is listed in only one location (on MC) such that the cross hair can show me any point in time on all charts at the same time (weekly, daily, 15 minute, 5 minute). Specifically have tracking time and price turned on. If that can be done from two data sources and MC runs just as fast it would be satisfactory.

John

Return to “MultiCharts”