Feature request list for MC

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Zora

Feature request list for MC

Postby Zora » 25 Apr 2008

Hey Guys!

Here is a feature list of requests I have been meaning to post for a while. I realise some of these features maybe referred to/discussed elsewhere in the forum and/or maybe even present in the latest release (am curently running 3.0.1137.3363). Speaking of which, here is an appropriate first request:

1. Check for latest update isn't reporting 3.0.1200.4785 version available (it says I am running latest release).

2. A refresh all charts option. I sometimes find that data has not loaded correctly in all charts on all workspaces, and I need to go through all of them and press CTL_R.

3. A 'save all workspaces' menu option - as in TS.

4. Ability to rearrange workspace tabs (as in TS) - only way to do this at present is to open workspaces in required order.

5. Autocentering and autoscaling option for charts (as in NT). Especially as I move around the X-Time scale, I find that I have to be permanently using the up and down arows to bring the chart into view.

6. IMPORTANT: Ability to right click and drag the Y-axis to reposition price chart. I find that on a window where I have multiple price charts above & below each other, that clicking the background and using the arror keys, often does not work for some of the graphs. Instead I have to click the price bars and use the arow keys after this, but then sometimes the indicators end up being selected, etc, etc... Would just be easier, if they were not set on autocenter, to drage Y-Axis.

7. Ability to assign use of the scroll wheel for various other functions (e.g. zoom), rather than horizontal scrolling. I don't use it for horizontal scrolling so scroll wheel is wasted.

8. Detachable windows to stay visible and on top even if workspace changed or appliccation loses focus.

9. Crosshairs to go under price bars/candles rather than over the top. On top makes screenshots not so useful as well.

10. Replay functionality with ability to enter simulated orders - or better to be able to replay the data to NT dome.

[A dome as userfriendly and rock solid as NT for live trades would be really super, though obviously this is a major feature project.]

11. MINUTE/VOLUME & TICK counter indicators please.

12. I am always wondering why historical data is not saved in MC. Even if I copy and paste a window - data is always reloaded. Maybe I am not understanding the issues here, and that this is the best way, but sometimes it would be nice if data was instantly available.

13. Depending on window layout within a workspace, I am often/usually unable to right click the Y-scale and get the right click context menu. I end up having to maximise the window to gain access.

14. As per TS, ability to minimise, maximise window without having to put the 'Title Bar' back in.

15. On multimonitors, menu's that are dragged to particular locations do not remain there when application is next opened.

16. When windows are maximised, I find that the close, minimise and maximise options [on the title bar] appear over by the menu's] and seem in a very unaesthetic position.

17. AN upgrade to the horizonatal line tool - so that a double click on the chart takes the user straight to the properties box. I find that I have to click the horozontal tool button, then right click, etc... Just seems something about the drawing process could be simplified. Being able to load from a file of values and draw multiple horizontal line would be really excellent.

18. A full screen mode (i.e. ability to remove the blue application bar at the top) as well as the status bar below, would give a little more precious chart space.

19. There was onew more thing I just thought of - but I can't recall it now! Will post below when I do.

Thats all. :shock:

I hope some of these are useful. I would certainly be glad of them.

Great application.
Zora!

TJ

Re: Feature request list for MC

Postby TJ » 14 May 2008

Hey Guys!
13. Depending on window layout within a workspace, I am often/usually unable to right click the Y-scale and get the right click context menu. I end up having to maximise the window to gain access.

Great application.
Zora!

if my chart is on a 2nd monitor, and if this 2nd monitor is on the LEFT side of my main monitor, the right click on Y-scale does not work.

no problem if the 2nd monitor is on the right side of the main monitor.

Funny bug.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 May 2008

Hey Guys!

Great application.
Zora!

if my chart is on a 2nd monitor, and if this 2nd monitor is on the LEFT side of my main monitor, the right click on Y-scale does not work.

no problem if the 2nd monitor is on the right side of the main monitor.

Funny bug.
Hi TJ,

This is a known bug. We're working on it.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 May 2008

Hi Zora,

Please find the comments to your suggestions below.
1. Check for latest update isn't reporting 3.0.1200.4785 version available (it says I am running latest release).
After we discovered that the 3.0 version has a number of major and minor bugs, we decided not to enable the update function. It will be enabled when a new version of MultiCharts is released.
2. A refresh all charts option. I sometimes find that data has not loaded correctly in all charts on all workspaces, and I need to go through all of them and press CTL_R.
To reload all the charts, type in .rld glob in the command line
3. A 'save all workspaces' menu option - as in TS.
You can have all workspaces saved on closing MultiCharts if in File -> Preferences -> Workspaces: "Do not show 'Save Workspace' on exit", "Save Workspaces".
4. Ability to rearrange workspace tabs (as in TS) - only way to do this at present is to open workspaces in required order.
Thank you for the suggestion.
5. Autocentering and autoscaling option for charts (as in NT). Especially as I move around the X-Time scale, I find that I have to be permanently using the up and down arows to bring the chart into view.
If we are talking about the same thing, the scaling does adjust itself automatically. Just enable the function 'Screen' in Format Symbol -> Scaling.
6. IMPORTANT: Ability to right click and drag the Y-axis to reposition price chart. I find that on a window where I have multiple price charts above & below each other, that clicking the background and using the arror keys, often does not work for some of the graphs. Instead I have to click the price bars and use the arow keys after this, but then sometimes the indicators end up being selected, etc, etc... Would just be easier, if they were not set on autocenter, to drage Y-Axis.
Thank you for the suggestion Zora.
7. Ability to assign use of the scroll wheel for various other functions (e.g. zoom), rather than horizontal scrolling. I don't use it for horizontal scrolling so scroll wheel is wasted.
8. Detachable windows to stay visible and on top even if workspace changed or appliccation loses focus.
We are going to modify workspaces/instances implementation to make that possible.
9. Crosshairs to go under price bars/candles rather than over the top. On top makes screenshots not so useful as well.
10. Replay functionality with ability to enter simulated orders - or better to be able to replay the data to NT dome.
The data playback utility as well as the instructions can be found at http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=1699
In future, this functionality will be integrated into MC directly. But we are not planning to make it possible to replay the data to NT dome. Or support them for live trading.
If you give me your e-mail I’ll send you those.
12. I am always wondering why historical data is not saved in MC. Even if I copy and paste a window - data is always reloaded. Maybe I am not understanding the issues here, and that this is the best way, but sometimes it would be nice if data was instantly available.
Historical data is saved in MC. Could you please specify what you mean by saying that the data is reloaded when a window is copied and pasted. Thanks.

15. On multimonitors, menu's that are dragged to particular locations do not remain there when application is next opened.
This is a known bug. It will soon be fixed.

14. As per TS, ability to minimise, maximise window without having to put the 'Title Bar' back in.

16. When windows are maximised, I find that the close, minimise and maximise options [on the title bar] appear over by the menu's] and seem in a very unaesthetic position.

17. AN upgrade to the horizonatal line tool - so that a double click on the chart takes the user straight to the properties box. I find that I have to click the horozontal tool button, then right click, etc... Just seems something about the drawing process could be simplified. Being able to load from a file of values and draw multiple horizontal line would be really excellent.

18. A full screen mode (i.e. ability to remove the blue application bar at the top) as well as the status bar below, would give a little more precious chart space.
Thank you for the suggestions, Zora.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 16 May 2008

Quote:

If you give me your e-mail I’ll send you those.

=> Send me one too. Thanks. Better to add into built-in indicators.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 May 2008

Sent.

2haerim

Thank you, but needs some explanation

Postby 2haerim » 19 May 2008

Both indicators need some explanation on how it works depending on the chart type and interval.

For both TICK_COUNTER_DNfornumshort and !MinuteCountDown,

(1) Should "Build Volume On" be always set to "Tick Count"?

About TICK_COUNTER_DNfornumshort,

(1) Is it applicable to tick and intraday chart? The script checks "bartype <= 1".
(2) In case of tick chart set with "Build Volume On" set to "Tick Count", it correctly shows the remaining tick counts to complete the current bar.
(3) In case of 1 min chart set with "Build Volume On" set to "Tick Count", it displays negative value? I don't know what that means.

About !MinuteCountDown,

(1) From the script,

// uncomment this line for new beta and comment second
//value1 = (getappinfo(aihighestdispvalue)-getappinfo(ailowestdispvalue))/2 + getappinfo(ailowestdispvalue);
value1 = c;

Which version is new beta? I am using 1250.0 at the moment.

zukkaweb

Postby zukkaweb » 19 May 2008

could you share the code please?

is there the way to get the countdown of a bar.

es. bar at 5 minutes, the countdown shows 4.58 after 2 seconds, 4.57 after 3 and so on.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 20 May 2008

Hi 2haerim,

volume is weird on minute charts. Try plotting a custom 2 line indicator and use upticks and down ticks on a 1 minute or 5 minute chart. Set "build volume on" to both ticks and then try trade volume. Weirdness. Why it does this I do not know. Whether it is the programmers at TSsupport or the data itself, I don't know. I just know that using indicators that require volume or tick counts is not a good thing to do on minute based charts.

the way volume is done should be changed, in my opinion. Why do we always have to worry about "minute charts", "tick charts", "volume charts" and "build volume on" in the settings. This way of programming and thinking is so 1990's. Omega Research/TS Tech is stuck in the past, let's move forward with MC for the intra-day trader!
see:

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=16835#16835

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 20 May 2008

To zukkaweb,

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5168

To RobotMan,

I guess the countdown indicators are buggy in some charts, but haven't debugged it yet.

You have a good idea and did you hear about that idea from TSS?

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 20 May 2008

To RobotMan,

I guess the countdown indicators are buggy in some charts, but haven't debugged it yet.

Hi 2haerim,

I have been an EL programmer for a while and when I start to see how other packages are doing something really well, I wish that TS would step up and be competitive. That's why I changed over to MC. It is what TS2000i should have been. I don't have any desire to use the current version of TS.x. However, that being said, I really like the thought put into other charting packages like SC, Ensign, RealTick, AB, Neoticker and NT. I don't use them (except for NT for order placement and Automatic Trade Management).

I just think that charting programs have evolved. The needs of traders has evolved. Today's trader is much more sophisticated. In spite of the fact that newbies are still trying to invent the wheel and want a snazzy GUI with a lot of bells and whistles (indicators & paintbars) all over their charts, the sophisticated trader wants more programming power and simpler charts.... Why live in the past? That's why I manage my scalping trades off of bare NT Charts instead of a dome.

Why use time for TL placement when several bars might have the same minute (or even the same second!) Why specify "build charts on" when both volume and ticks are available simultaneously? (what if I wanted to use both at the same time?) Why can't I build indicators based on the depth of market? (that's how the big boys trade.) I can do this in NT by paying someone to write the C# code (I look at the total bid/ask ratio all 5 levels deep in real time). But I like to tinker and the language I tinker in is now Powerlanguage.

I think NT is more for scalpers and day traders than MC is right now. I think MC is catering more to portfolio builders and backtesters/optimizers (none of which I do) which is what they should do if that is their market base. Charting software is so competitive right now. Hopefully, someday, someone deep in the bowels of TSS will say, hey, what about scalpers and daytraders? Maybe a year from now, (when chart trading is introduced someone will uncrinkle one of my posts that was printed out and tossed aside and we will get VolumeUp, VolumeDn, VolumeBid(x), etc...

Meanwhile we find and fix bugs. Try to make MC more and more like TS (because that's what newbie MC users want) - make MC attractive to the masses. And Robotman will keep making suggestions that get ignored. :P

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 May 2008

I just think that charting programs have evolved. The needs of traders has evolved...
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
How true.

I may add: The term "Trader" no longer define anybody in particular.

There are traders who only day trade ES and YM. They don't scan, they don't search. They create one new chart every 3 months.
There are traders who track 30 commodity products at a time. They want multi-detachable screens.
There are traders who Arb. They don't care where the market is going.
There are traders who swing trade stocks. They turn on their computers twice a day.
There are the option traders. They have special needs.
There are the currency traders. They run their computers 25 hrs a day.
There are the discretionary traders; they want chart trading: they click to buy, then click to sell.
There are the autotraders; they like to tinker with the criteria.
There are the autotraders wannabe; they backtest and backtest and backtest.
There are the daydreamers; they optimize. (j/k)
THere are the stock scanners; they lists and lists of stock symbols to review. They look and look and look; creating charts quickly and conveniently is very important to them.

There is not one charting/trading program that can satisfy all these needs.

But... most charting software try to be the Jack of All Trade... and ended up good at none.
Last edited by TJ on 21 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 May 2008

... Why can't I build indicators based on the depth of market? (that's how the big boys trade.) I can do this in NT by paying someone to write the C# code (I look at the total bid/ask ratio all 5 levels deep in real time). ...
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
I don't see why TSSUPPORT cannot extend the PowerLanguage to read all 5 levels of bid/ask. It is not rocket science; it can't be that difficult.

If TSS does that, it will blow TS off the face of Earth for sure.
It will also bring MultiCharts one notch closer to NT.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 May 2008

I think NT is more for scalpers and day traders than MC is right now. I think MC is catering more to portfolio builders and backtesters/optimizers (none of which I do) which is what they should do if that is their market base. Charting software is so competitive right now. Hopefully, someday, someone deep in the bowels of TSS will say, hey, what about scalpers and daytraders? Maybe a year from now, (when chart trading is introduced someone will uncrinkle one of my posts that was printed out and tossed aside and we will get VolumeUp, VolumeDn, VolumeBid(x), etc...
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
I am in the same boat as you -- I do not use the portfolio backtester or the optimizer. My trading do not require/allow that type of "refinement".

When the scanner is ready, I think it will bring a lot more value to the portfolio management aspect of MultiCharts. But at the time being,
I wish they would also put priority on the playback module. It would help a daytrader more than the backtester.

In the past 4 months, 2 of my associates bought MC, and 6 bought NT.
I am sticking with MC because I am comfortable with EasyLanguage.
(maybe I am too comfortable?)

Marina Pashkova

Re: Thank you, but needs some explanation

Postby Marina Pashkova » 21 May 2008

Both indicators need some explanation on how it works depending on the chart type and interval.

For both TICK_COUNTER_DNfornumshort and !MinuteCountDown,

(1) Should "Build Volume On" be always set to "Tick Count"?
Yes.

About TICK_COUNTER_DNfornumshort,

(1) Is it applicable to tick and intraday chart? The script checks "bartype <= 1".
It is applicable to tick, second, minute and hourly charts. However, I am not sure how you could get the number of the remaining ticks in anything other than a tick-based chart.
(2) In case of tick chart set with "Build Volume On" set to "Tick Count", it correctly shows the remaining tick counts to complete the current bar.
(3) In case of 1 min chart set with "Build Volume On" set to "Tick Count", it displays negative value? I don't know what that means.
The value is negative because:

TicksToGo = BarInterval;
TicksToGo = TicksToGo - ticks;

BarInterval returns a numerical value, indicating the number of resolution units (bar interval) of the data series that the study is applied to.

Thus TicksToGo - ticks will be negative for minute resolutions
About !MinuteCountDown,

(1) From the script,

// uncomment this line for new beta and comment second
//value1 = (getappinfo(aihighestdispvalue)-getappinfo(ailowestdispvalue))/2 + getappinfo(ailowestdispvalue);
value1 = c;

Which version is new beta? I am using 1250.0 at the moment.
It was written when a new beta was just released. The above applies to all the versions after the 3.0 beta.

Regards.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 23 May 2008

To RobotMan,

Hi 2haerim,

I have been an EL programmer for a while and when I start to see how other packages are doing something really well, I wish that TS would step up and be competitive. That's why I changed over to MC. It is what TS2000i should have been. I don't have any desire to use the current version of TS.x. However, that being said, I really like the thought put into other charting packages like SC, Ensign, RealTick, AB, Neoticker and NT. I don't use them (except for NT for order placement and Automatic Trade Management).

I just think that charting programs have evolved. The needs of traders has evolved. Today's trader is much more sophisticated. In spite of the fact that newbies are still trying to invent the wheel and want a snazzy GUI with a lot of bells and whistles (indicators & paintbars) all over their charts, the sophisticated trader wants more programming power and simpler charts.... Why live in the past? That's why I manage my scalping trades off of bare NT Charts instead of a dome.

Why use time for TL placement when several bars might have the same minute (or even the same second!) Why specify "build charts on" when both volume and ticks are available simultaneously? (what if I wanted to use both at the same time?) Why can't I build indicators based on the depth of market? (that's how the big boys trade.) I can do this in NT by paying someone to write the C# code (I look at the total bid/ask ratio all 5 levels deep in real time). But I like to tinker and the language I tinker in is now Powerlanguage.

Meanwhile we find and fix bugs. Try to make MC more and more like TS (because that's what newbie MC users want) - make MC attractive to the masses. And Robotman will keep making suggestions that get ignored. :P

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Hi Bob,

Working on MultiCharts we, in fact, are trying to solve two tasks:

1. Provide an easy migration from TS
2. Add new features

Easy migration implies features and functions that work in the same way as in TS
Once that is achieved, we can concentrate on adding new features.

Please don't think that your requests/suggestions get ingnored. We need them to get ideas for new features!

Thank you.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 23 May 2008

2 features from TS that I miss are:

1. highlighting a drawing tool and hit the "delete" key to remove it, instead of having to use a "right click menu" to remove drawing.

2. the + and - keys in TS would expand or compress the charts, it's a great feature of TS , that I really miss. (also F12 to go to power editor would be nice)

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 27 May 2008

Hi Steven,

1. highlighting a drawing tool and hit the "delete" key to remove it, instead of having to use a "right click menu" to remove drawing.
This can be done in MultiCharts.
2. the + and - keys in TS would expand or compress the charts, it's a great feature of TS , that I really miss. (also F12 to go to power editor would be nice)
If you're talking about expanding the bar spacing in can be done with 'ctrl+' and 'ctrl-' . If you are talking about vertical expansion/contraction, we'll consider adding this feature in future.

Regards.

fs

Postby fs » 27 May 2008

Hi Steven,

This can be done in MultiCharts.
Hi Marina

Unfortunately, this does not always work. An easy way to reproduce is as follows:

1. Draw fibonacci lines.
2. Make sure it is not selected by clicking somewhere else in the chart.
3. Now click on fibonacci lines to select them.
4. Hit Delete key and nothing happens. You have to right click delete.

Only when the fibonacci lines are still selected after drawing it, does the delete key work.

- Fanus

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 27 May 2008

Hi Fanus,

I just did it and it deleted fine with delete key.

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 May 2008

I have tried it with Fib and all the other drawing objects, on the main monitors as well as the 2nd monitor. They all worked with no problem.

fs

Postby fs » 27 May 2008

Must be just me then. Bummer.

- Fanus

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 27 May 2008

Must be just me then. Bummer.

- Fanus
Not just you, I use lin reg channels and many times it cannot be removed with the delete key. I don't remember this being a problem with the old versions. I think the problem is more common after closing and re-opening MC, then highlight the study and it can't be removed with delete key. (sometimes-most of the time anyway)
it's very annoying.

fs

Postby fs » 28 May 2008

You are right. This morning after first starting MC, I couldn't use the delete key to delete studies. Now after running it for several hours, the delete key all of a sudden is working. Odd.

LRP

Postby LRP » 28 May 2008

You are right. This morning after first starting MC, I couldn't use the delete key to delete studies. Now after running it for several hours, the delete key all of a sudden is working. Odd.
I found similar behaviour of MC3 by press "Home" or "End" to scroll the Chart to the begin or to the end. Strange, sometimes the key stroke works sometimes not.
Regards
LRP

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 May 2008

Hi guys,

If any of you can regularly reproduce the described behavior please contact us via LiveChat. So far, we haven't been able to reproduce either the 'delete' or 'end'/'home' keys behavior.

Or if you could describe successive actions that result in the above behavior, it would be of great help.

Regards.

bowlesj3

Keep it running.

Postby bowlesj3 » 29 May 2008

Gee, a real feature request thread! How exciting!

A plug for MC first. I am a discressionary trader scalper and MC is more than enough for me generally (2.1.999.999 that is). I only use the bollinger bands, RSI oscillator and charts from 10 second, 1min, 5min, 10min, 15min, 30min, 60min to daily. I use a database program to fill the gaps. My approach works well enough that I don't need to backtest.

The only request that I have not submitted that is by far the most critical is to make sure that the older releases such as 2.1.999.999 keep working with any data feed changes that IB has (or whatever other vendors MC might take for the other traders). Secondly to keep the features MC has now and ensure it keeps running just as fast and bug free as MC2.1.999.999. Things are going so well now that I am scare stiff about upgrading.

John.

kelly simon

Feedback

Postby kelly simon » 10 Jul 2008

Dear All,

Thank you for all your comments on my initial post.

Following up my initial post with some clarifications, as well some new feature/bug requests that I have been compiling from daily use of MC.

===
Regarding the ability to save all charts. Marina wrote: 'You can have all workspaces saved on closing MultiCharts if in File -> Preferences -> Workspaces: "Do not show 'Save Workspace' on exit", "Save Workspaces".'

With respect, I actually don't find this a particularly useful feature, because when I have enabled this feature, I have found on a couple of occasions that I have ended up saving changes that I didn't want to save - and it is fiddly to go into preferences to disable this feature before exiting the program.

I mean a 'save all workspaces' on the menu as in TS. I've found the choice particularly useful as has a function that 'Save Workspace' on exit' doesn't possess.

===
Quote from my first post: Auto centering and auto scaling option for charts (as in NT). Especially as I move around the X-Time scale, I find that I have to be permanently using the up and down arrows to bring the chart into view.

Marina: If we are talking about the same thing, the scaling does adjust itself automatically. Just enable the function 'Screen' in Format Symbol -> Scaling.

I am thinking that this might work for just a price graph, but not if there are indicators in the chart window as well, that are scaled to the symbol. What I am requesting might be described better as 'auto fit to window - and... keep fitting to window - including all indicators that are scaled to price'. Sometimes, I just want to be able to have a window that keeps price in view - as NT does as standard. Otherwise, I find that a considerable amount of time, I am needing to use the up and down arrows to bring price back into view.

Also, in this regard, I don't feel that the reset price scales function is functioning logically. If it is used, it does bring price back into view by resetting scales, but it also causes all indicators that are scaled to price to scale to screen - which in turn causes them to display incorrectly relative to price. (And then one has to go through all indicators are reset them back to scale to price).

Additionally, in respect of this, because an indicator that has moved from being 'scaled to price' can cause problems, it would be useful to be able to see an indication in the initial format studies window the setting for each indicator - i,e whether it is scaled to price. The only way to find out this at present is to go through each indicators properties.

===
Quote Marina: 'The data playback utility as well as the instructions can be found at...

In future, this functionality will be integrated into MC directly. But we are not planning to make it possible to replay the data to NT dome. Or support them for live trading.'

I have made some headway in getting the playback utility to work, but not total... However, I am not sure that I understand what function a playback utility can have without the ability to be played in conjuction with a trading dome. With respect to a potential trading dome, the ability to program into the price levels would be something I would look forward to tapping into in - as was brought up by another forum member.

In the future dome... please do make moving the stops as easy and convenient as it is in NT..!

===

Here is a copy of the updates on my MC feature request list! Just small things - I realise, but nice features, I think, that are symbolic of a maturing application.

1. Remove drawings function limited to one sub chart. I would be really pleased if I could remove drawings from just one sub chart. For instance, I have all sorts of levels drawn on my volume sub chart, that I don't want to remove when I remove horizontal lines on the price 'subchart' - remove all drawings.

2. The ability to position tabs on right side of MC. On a multi monitor system, it would be nice to chose which 'side' the workspace tabs are positioned on - just as they can be above or below.

3. Is an 'alert set' - shown in a column in the initial format studies dialogue screen.

Also, in regard of this, I find that alerts can be temperamental. I realise it may be the 3rd party indicator coding though.

Though there is play once and repeat for alerts, a play x number of times could be useful. Somehow either of the existing choices sometimes don't fit the bill.

4. Horizontal line defaults (for example) should be specific to chart window - not to the whole MC install - or even a workspace. I haven't particularly thought about it, but this might apply to other 'defaults' as well.

Also, with respect to lines - in the format lines dialogue box, each lines price level should be listed (as well as its sub chart) - or it is not seemingly possible to know which line is which in the list.

As well, personally, I think horizontal lines should be 'sent to back' by default.

5. PlotPaintBars only allows plotting to bars, it's not possible to plot candles. I don't understand why. Is this TS code compliant?

6. Oh yes - lol - this is my particular bugbear - dragging the x scale to rescale the chart goes the wrong way and is counter intuitive. Dragging to the right should compress time, dragging to the left de-compress time - in my experience. The reference point would seem best to be the right side, not the left. Maybe a choice of functioning would be appropriate in preferences.

Hope this is useful feedback,
Simon

kelly simon

ASCII options

Postby kelly simon » 12 Jul 2008

One extra addition. When importing an ascii file, on this computer at least, the options for the settings for each individual data column are not appearing correctly in that they are not visible until the mouse is rolled over them. Please see attachment.

Simon
Attachments
ASCII_options.jpg
(250.26 KiB) Downloaded 3414 times

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Jul 2008

When it comes to importing ASCII files and then ploting it, I am missing one feature that if added, would make me very happy.

Namely, Open Interest in ticks. Unfortunately, importing Open Interest feature is supported only on daily resolution, not in ticks or minutes :cry: See attached file. Unfortunately OI cannot be separately imported and ploted as price.

Regards
Attachments
OI ticks.jpg
(79.03 KiB) Downloaded 3425 times

khalaad

SESSION DETERMINATION

Postby khalaad » 16 Jul 2008

Just the ability to determin the Session from within a Workspace in addition to the currently available option of Session determination from within the Quote Manager.

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Jul 2008

When it comes to importing ASCII files and then ploting it, I am missing one feature that if added, would make me very happy.
Namely, Open Interest in ticks. Unfortunately, importing Open Interest feature is supported only on daily resolution, not in ticks or minutes :cry: See attached file. Unfortunately OI cannot be separately imported and ploted as price.
Regards
Open Interest is calculated at the end of the day. If you need it for your intraday analysis, you can add a daily datastream and get the OI number from it.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 16 Jul 2008

Hi TJ,

You are right when you say OI is calculated at the end of day. This is how OI is calculated in US exchanges.

However there are a number of exchanges (including the one I trade) when OI is calculated every tick. See the screenshot of my ASCII file. The red underlined numbers are OI (52,892 a few ticks later changes into 52,893 which a few ticks later changes into 52,914 etc).

Now, how could I get this ploted on my chart?
Attachments
ASCII.jpg
(85.11 KiB) Downloaded 3418 times

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 16 Jul 2008

Please can you match TS's feature of displaying a coloured line from entry to exit trades. The colour should denote whether it was a profitable or losing trade. This makes it easier to scan through charts and see how a system is performing.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 18 Jul 2008

Please can you make the autotrading feature more robust by:
1. Displaying a status symbol in charts to denote whether it is enabled.
2. When it becomes disabled, offer the option to re-enable rather than have to click through to the signal properties.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Jul 2008

I have one more favour to ask with regard to MC charting.I would like, when putting one indicator on another on a subchart, e.g. TRIX on MACD (both have ZERO lines) that MC displays both Zero lines in the same level / both lines should not mismatch).

Please see the screenshot attached.

The same would be fine for oversold / overbougth lines.

If MC could do this it would be much easier to eyeball divergences between two indicators put one on another

Regards
Attachments
ZeroOverboughtOversold lines.jpg
(197.75 KiB) Downloaded 3430 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jul 2008

I have one more favour to ask with regard to MC charting.I would like, when putting one indicator on another on a subchart, e.g. TRIX on MACD (both have ZERO lines) that MC displays both Zero lines in the same level / both lines should not mismatch).

If MC could do this it would be much easier to eyeball divergences between two indicators put one on another

Regards
you can do it yourself

just add the 2nd indicator to the same subchart.... then set the scales to the same range.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 18 Jul 2008

Gee :D

Thanks TJ

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 18 Jul 2008

you can do it yourself

just add the 2nd indicator to the same subchart.... then set the scales to the same range.
Yeah, I totally sympathize, but you have to continually dink around and reset the scales over time.

See:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#19272

I played around (a lot!) and the ai functions don't work for subcharts...

This is a kluge, but seems to be ok for the most part: I tried plotting 2 hidden (+ and -) plots of the max absolute value over the last x number of bars.

NT can do it, but I have not ported my stuff over to it, cuz I don't know C#. (and probably never will...) Plus, I like MC and have high hopes for it over the next several years.

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 19 Jul 2008

Yeah, I totally sympathize, but you have to continually dink around and reset the scales over time.

See:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#19272

I played around (a lot!) and the ai functions don't work for subcharts...

This is a kluge, but seems to be ok for the most part: I tried plotting 2 hidden (+ and -) plots of the max absolute value over the last x number of bars.

NT can do it, but I have not ported my stuff over to it, cuz I don't know C#. (and probably never will...) Plus, I like MC and have high hopes for it over the next several years.

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Hello Robotman,

I read your post: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#19272

Good stuff! It would be great if we could get the option: "Format Study > Scaling" --> "o Screen: max/min Equal"

Regards

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 24 Jul 2008

Please can you make the autotrading feature more robust by:
1. Displaying a status symbol in charts to denote whether it is enabled.
2. When it becomes disabled, offer the option to re-enable rather than have to click through to the signal properties.
I notice point 1 above is included in v4 beta1, however you still aren't prompted to re-enable when autotrading becomes disabled. There needs to a dialogue that an automation script can wait for and then press the Yes button to re-enable. Also, the X button to remove a study is far too close to the automation button. I've already accidentally removed an indicator a couple of times. Does removing an indicator need to be such a readily available option?

Also, why is the IB prompt "Accept incoming connection attempt?" automatically accepted when a data connection is made, but you have to manually press Yes for trading-automation? Can't you re-use the code from the data-adaptor that presses Yes?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Jul 2008

I notice point 1 above is included in v4 beta1, however you still aren't prompted to re-enable when autotrading becomes disabled. There needs to a dialogue that an automation script can wait for and then press the Yes button to re-enable. Also, the X button to remove a study is far too close to the automation button. I've already accidentally removed an indicator a couple of times. Does removing an indicator need to be such a readily available option?
When auto trading is disabled you see it right away because the status icon changes its color. To enable auto trading again, just click on this icon.
Also, why is the IB prompt "Accept incoming connection attempt?" automatically accepted when a data connection is made, but you have to manually press Yes for trading-automation? Can't you re-use the code from the data-adaptor that presses Yes?
This has been done on purpose to protect the traders. When it comes to submitting orders, making the platform accept the connection automatically would mean high risk exposure.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 25 Jul 2008

When auto trading is disabled you see it right away because the status icon changes its color. To enable auto trading again, just click on this icon.
I agree this is a step forward, but it's still too silent. If a signal stops being automated, I want to know about it. Too much money is riding on automation to risk not noticing a tiny icon changing colour in the top left. Also, if you make it a window asking "Do you want to re-enable automation - Yes or No", we can use AutoIT or ScriptLogic scripts to monitor for that window and automatically answer Yes. At the end of the day, people automatically trade so they don't have to sit at computers all day watching their screens.
This has been done on purpose to protect the traders. When it comes to submitting orders, making the platform accept the connection automatically would mean high risk exposure.
To protect traders there is already a warning box that says "By Clicking Yes you are agreeing to the following conditions..." which you have to OK. Another warning message in IB is an extra unnecessary nag and does not reduce risk any further.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Jul 2008

I agree this is a step forward, but it's still too silent. If a signal stops being automated, I want to know about it. Too much money is riding on automation to risk not noticing a tiny icon changing colour in the top left. Also, if you make it a window asking "Do you want to re-enable automation - Yes or No", we can use AutoIT or ScriptLogic scripts to monitor for that window and automatically answer Yes. At the end of the day, people automatically trade so they don't have to sit at computers all day watching their screens.
Hi Brendan,

You are right. We will consider the implementation that you are describing for the future versions. Right now we are gathering feedback on the new beta to see which features are most popular.
To protect traders there is already a warning box that says "By Clicking Yes you are agreeing to the following conditions..." which you have to OK. Another warning message in IB is an extra unnecessary nag and does not reduce risk any further.
That's a good point. The thing is that receiving symbols and auto trading are two different program modules. So what has been implemented for receiving quotes (accepting incoming connectio request) has not been incorporated for trading. We will probably change this in future.

Regards.

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 30 Jul 2008

I know I raised it earlier - and I'm feeling a bit concerned that repeating it might seem a bit of a bother -- however, in terms of documenting what I am trading everyday - it would be most useful to be able to take screenshots featuring the crosshairs on a price chart/s. However, at present, in any screenshots, the crosshairs appear on top of the price bars - which means that (when using crosshairs), one can't actually see what the bar is on entry - or exit.

Simon

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 30 Jul 2008

A bad tick filter is desperately needed.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

I know I raised it earlier - and I'm feeling a bit concerned that repeating it might seem a bit of a bother -- however, in terms of documenting what I am trading everyday - it would be most useful to be able to take screenshots featuring the crosshairs on a price chart/s. However, at present, in any screenshots, the crosshairs appear on top of the price bars - which means that (when using crosshairs), one can't actually see what the bar is on entry - or exit.

Simon
Hi Simon,

Could you please post a screenshot illustrating what exactly is wrong the way the crosshair is shown?

Thank you.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

A bad tick filter is desperately needed.
We are planning to incorporate a filter. However, it is planned for later versions of MC.

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 31 Jul 2008

Hi Marina,
Please find attached the kind of thing I mean - in the sense that the price bars get covered by the crosshairs on a screenshot.

Thanks,
Simon
Attachments
for_TS_forum_post.jpg
Crosshairs over price bars
(544.15 KiB) Downloaded 3417 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Aug 2008

Hi Simon,

For now we are not planning to change the crosshair configuration. What you could do, though, is make bars and plots thicker.

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Aug 2008

Hi Simon,

For now we are not planning to change the crosshair configuration. What you could do, though, is make bars and plots thicker.
That's unacceptable.

We can't just change the bar thickness. They are of certain appearance for specific reasons.

I don't like the cross hair, but I can live with it for now.
I feel distraught that you believe changing user's bar appearance is a solution.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 02 Aug 2008

I mentioned this a few months back, when you edit bad ticks, we need to be able to save default settings for date , time, trade, local etc, as it is now, you have to change each one EVERY time you have to edit a bad tick, which is VERY often with stocks using IB. (still need a bad tick filter)

also, I'd love to see MC allow editing bad ticks on the fly, like in TS2ki, just right click on the bad bar and it brings up the data window for that stock to edit. It would save a ton of time hunting for the bad ticks.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Aug 2008

I mentioned this a few months back, when you edit bad ticks, we need to be able to save default settings for date , time, trade, local etc, as it is now, you have to change each one EVERY time you have to edit a bad tick, which is VERY often with stocks using IB. (still need a bad tick filter)
If you are talking about the start and end date/time showing in Edit Data, it has been created in such a way as to show you the whole period of time you have for the chosen resolution.
also, I'd love to see MC allow editing bad ticks on the fly, like in TS2ki, just right click on the bad bar and it brings up the data window for that stock to edit. It would save a ton of time hunting for the bad ticks.
We'll consider this feature for future implementation. But most probably we will simply implement a good filter that would make the measures similar to the above reduntant.

Regards.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 12 Aug 2008

Please add a keyboard shortcut for Automate Order Execution on the Format Menu to make it more script-friendly. All other options on this menu have a shortcut denoted by an underlined letter.

Better still allow us to customise shortcut keys and toolbar buttons ourselves like in Microsoft Office apps.

zukkaweb

the dollar line

Postby zukkaweb » 12 Aug 2008

this is a very usefull instrument. that i find only in tradenavigator.
MC has "retracement calculator" but is not the same things.
Please try the demo of tradenavigator and see it, and if it possible improve retracement calcolator.

thanks

ADVISE

ib data are not tick by tick, so if you trade by tick with this broker try to find another one. if i am wrong techsupport could confirm that please.

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 14 Aug 2008

Hi Brendan,

You are right. We will consider the implementation that you are describing for the future versions. Right now we are gathering feedback on the new beta to see which features are most popular.
According to my testing, TWS disconnects from MC every night at around 5am GMT (midnight ET) probably due to IB maintenence. I missed an entry trade this morning because of this. Reconnecting was a simple matter of manually clicking the SA icon in the top left, upon which automation resumed. Do you really want to make us forex traders who trade 24\5 get out of bed at 5am to press the SA button every day? If this was a dialogue box "Broker application has become disconnected, do you want to attempt reconnect - Yes or No", we could easily write a script that automatically reconnects every day after IB maintenance.

Please consider the implementation that I am describing for the next version, rather than future versions.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Aug 2008

Please add a keyboard shortcut for Automate Order Execution on the Format Menu to make it more script-friendly. All other options on this menu have a shortcut denoted by an underlined letter.

Better still allow us to customise shortcut keys and toolbar buttons ourselves like in Microsoft Office apps.
Thank you for the suggestion Brendan. We are planning to make it possible to assign various tasks to keys. However, it will not be implemented in the nearest future.

Return to “MultiCharts”