TS vs MC strategy behavior  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
firemag

TS vs MC strategy behavior

Postby firemag » 30 Oct 2017

I have a strategy that uses both "SetStopLoss()" as well as will place its own buy-stop or sell-stop based on volume.

In the strategy I have:

Code: Select all

If ( VolumeVal > AvgV ) then
begin
if ( MarketPosition <> 1 ) then
Buy next bar at Close + BreakoutPoints stop;

if ( MarketPosition <> -1 ) then
Sellshort next bar at Close - BreakoutPoints stop ;
end;

SetStopLoss( StopLossDollars );
TS seems to handle this by having only one stop active at any one time. MC seems to have both stop orders active.

The same trade in TS (only one stop):
2017-10-30_11-56-22.jpg
(66.69 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
The same trade in MC (multiple stops)... the stop at 1.2420 is due to the buy-stop line in the code and the stop at 1.2240 is due to the SetStopLoss() line of code.
2017-10-30_11-44-06.jpg
(219.92 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
I'd like the strategy to mirror TS's behavior. Is there a way to match TS's behavior using MC settings, or do I need to do this in the strategy/signal code?

Anna MultiCharts

Re: TS vs MC strategy behavior

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 06 Nov 2017

Hello, firemag!

According to the script and screenshots you provided the orders are sent simultaneously because both conditions are met. If you don’t need SellShort to be sent after a position is opened, you need to adjust your code accordingly.

firemag

Re: TS vs MC strategy behavior  [SOLVED]

Postby firemag » 06 Nov 2017

According to the script and screenshots you provided the orders are sent simultaneously because both conditions are met. If you don’t need SellShort to be sent after a position is opened, you need to adjust your code accordingly.
Thanks, Anna. That's kind of what I figured. TS has a different way of handling this, so I'll just have to code it to emulate.

Return to “MultiCharts”