how to buy the top 10 stocks of the dow  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
siscop

how to buy the top 10 stocks of the dow

Postby siscop » 10 Feb 2018

Let’s say I want to buy the top 10 stocks from the day of the dow on fully autotrade….
Is there an easy way to do that with the portfolio trader or any other MC product (scanner?) or do I have to use 30 lines and data 1-30 on the autotrade of the portfolio trader - that would make 900 data entries just for the setup.

TJ

Re: how to buy the top 10 stocks of the dow

Postby TJ » 10 Feb 2018

Let’s say I want to buy the top 10 stocks from the day of the dow on fully autotrade….
Is there an easy way to do that with the portfolio trader or any other MC product (scanner?) or do I have to use 30 lines and data 1-30 on the autotrade of the portfolio trader - that would make 900 data entries just for the setup.

What do you mean by "top 10 stocks"?

Are you dealing with multiple instruments?
If yes, you are dealing with a portfolio.
You can use a scanner, you can use 30 charts... there are many tools you can use. The Portfolio trader is a tool. You have to evaluate whatever is available to you can pick one that you can use.

siscop

Postby siscop » 10 Feb 2018

Hi TJ,
I mean to buy fully automated the top 10 stock in performance of the dow without manual interference. The strategy should have buy and sell and do all the calculation.

I am just asking if there is a easier way to do this then trading 30 stocks with 30 x data each. This would mean that I have to set up 900 data just to trade 10 - that is a overkill.
Is there a way to do this with the scanner fully automated or on the portfolio trader without the 900 data?

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 Feb 2018

Hi TJ,
I mean to buy fully automated the top 10 stock in performance of the dow without manual interference. The strategy should have buy and sell and do all the calculation.

I am just asking if there is a easier way to do this then trading 30 stocks with 30 x data each. This would mean that I have to set up 900 data just to trade 10 - that is a overkill.
Is there a way to do this with the scanner fully automated or on the portfolio trader without the 900 data?

Are you dealing with multiple instruments?
If yes, you are dealing with a portfolio. -->> USE PORTFOLIO TRADER

siscop

Postby siscop » 11 Feb 2018

I think my point isn’t coming over.
How would you realize a simple strategy like buy the best 10 stocks of a group of stocks (e.g. dow30) and sell it the next day.
1. As far as I know, I can only buy and sell the stock in portfolio trader which is on data1 <- is this true?

So I have to put at least 30 instruments on the portfolio trader. Since every single one has to look how it performes in compare to the other 29 stocks of the dow the other stocks has to be insert in data2 to data30 on every single line.
So on the setup I would have to setup 30stocksx30data=900instruments data only for a simple fully automated strategy on the portfolio strategy if my assumption on No.1 is true.

Using this on the Nasdaq100 (or a group of 100 stocks) – I would like to buy the 10 best performing Nasdaq stocks of the day I would have to insert 100x100=10000 data on a very simple strategy to fully automate it with the portfolio trader which would be just one click on the scanner with manual trading.

So my question was if the my assumption of No.1 is correct and if there is an easier way to trade the best 10 stocks of an group of stocks then n^2 data.

I hope my point is a bit clearer.

fbertram

Postby fbertram » 11 Feb 2018

Hi Siscop,

here is how this works:
1) your trading signal is evaluated. This signal should:
- make the buy and sell decisions. in your example of buying and holding the top 10 stocks of a given universe, all you need to do is buy
- calculate an indicator, in your case a measure of the market momentum
- save the value of this indicator in the portfolio data scratch space
2) the money-management signal is evaluated (this is the one you've been missing in your thoughts). This signal should:
- collect all the indicator values from the individual strategies
- rank them to your liking
- enable and disable trading on the individual strategies
- set the order size on the individual strategies

So, you are correct that you will need all 30 instruments in the data1 slots of your portfolio trader workspace. However, you do _not_ need to have any instrument in the data2 and following slots.

Have a look at the separate Portfolio Trader manual: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... Manual.pdf
Here are some strategy examples: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... y_Examples

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Felix

siscop

Re: how to buy the top 10 stocks of the dow  [SOLVED]

Postby siscop » 13 Feb 2018

Ok I have got it now...
Thank you very much fbertram for pointing out where my error was and leading me to the solution.
Since I implemented a moneymanagement in a funktion what all the strategies uses I never took a look at the portfoliomanagement MM. The PT MM or PMMS what it is called there is much more then a pure MM and we here in central europe (germany and austria) call it an „umbrella system“ on other IT Systems.
Now I have to learn and play around with it.
Thank you again fbertram

Return to “MultiCharts”