Plotting global variable data on charts with different bar types  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PD Quig

Plotting global variable data on charts with different bar types

Postby PD Quig » 17 Feb 2018

I have an indicator that calculates long and short signals that I have used on my main 3 range (point) trading chart for a couple of years. Its calculations are based on several different swing strengths. Lately, I started applying this indicator to different chart types and it still throws signals, but because the swing strengths can be quite different, the calculations end up being skewed. So, I have modified the indicator to also output global variables that define the signal parameters (trade direction, swing strength, signal strength, price, signal bar, signal date, signal time). For the receiving chart I have a simple indicator that just reads the GVs and plots them--no thinking involved.

In testing on an identical chart, the signals plot fine (when adjusted for the MaxBarsBack difference between the two charts) if I use Arw_New_bn and Text_New_bn. When I try to plot the signals based on the date and time (Arw_New and Text_New), the signals plot on the right margin of the chart. I'm guessing that's because the 3R chart bars are defined down to the millisecond while the time parameter passed to the GV by Time_s is granular only to hh:mm:ss. The bigger picture is, however, that I want to apply the signals to a 5-min chart, and a variety of Renko charts so I need to solve the problem of converting the 3R bar or date+time parameters to the correct bar on the receiving chart.

If anybody has already solved an analogous problem--or otherwise has any ideas--I'd really appreciate a pointer.

Thanks!

PDQ
2018-02-17_1952.png
(80.7 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
2018-02-17_1955.png
(80.42 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

TJ

Re: Plotting global variable data on charts with different bar types  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 17 Feb 2018

Have you downloaded the TypeZero Library?

PD Quig

Re: Plotting global variable data on charts with different bar types

Postby PD Quig » 18 Feb 2018

No. This is the first I've heard of it. I will check it out.

Thanks!

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 18 Feb 2018

Are there any updated links to the TypeZero Library? This one appears to be a dead end now:

http://www.tradersxchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4

After some reading I Googled TypeZero Sync and found this:

DATA/20050302173356TypeZeroSyn c.zip

but am not sure if this is equivalent to the "TypeZero Library."

Also found these:

Latest Revision: 2005-03-02 14:50 PST
Attached Files
File Type: zip TZU Demo TSW.zip (6.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: eld TZU Library (TS).ELD (62.3 KB, 293 views)
File Type: pla TZU Library (MC).pla (44.2 KB, 300 views)

Does anybody know if they are the most up to date?

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 23 Feb 2018

I decided that the ADE framework was overkill for an application that doesn't need to calculate and plot data on each bar. I didn't think going up the learning curve was value added for my needs. Instead, I'm using one sending indicator and a receiving indicator on several charts. The receiver simply reads the GVs and converts the datetime of the signals to bar numbers on the receiving chart. Obviously, ADE is more powerful but I only needed to add five lines of code to my existing receiver indicator to enable plotting the signals on any chart type. Good enough.

Thanks to all for the input.

Return to “MultiCharts”