UI Freeze

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Gregorian

UI Freeze

Postby Gregorian » 04 May 2018

On 64 bit MC 11, with circa 20 workspaces, one strategy per workspace, open on a Rithmic connection, during prime trading hours the UI will not permit user input. Clicking on anything is just ignored. However, the data feeds keep running, the screens keep updating, and the strategies keep running. It's just user input that is not possible. This is, of course, scary if something goes wrong, and a strategy needs to be stopped.

Are there any suggested remedies to this other than moving some of the workspaces to another desktop? I've already set the indicators not to update on every tick.

TJ

Re: UI Freeze

Postby TJ » 04 May 2018

MultiCharts version? Please go to Help>About to find the build number.

Please describe your computer -- CPU, RAM, OS version
What is your Anti-virus/firewall?
What other programs are you running?

How many charts?
What are the chart resolutions?
How much history on the charts?
How many indicators/strategies?

Please post a screen shot of your TaskManager.

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 May 2018

This is most likely caused by a coding error -- an infinite loop that grabs all the CPU resources.

Gregorian

Postby Gregorian » 07 May 2018

TJ, it's not freezing up today, of course, so no sense in posting a Task Manager image.

The PC is not lacking in capacity, i9-7980XE with 128 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, nothing else running besides MC 11 during the prime trading hours.

You're probably right about the strategy code being the problem, as some of the routines were supplied by a third party, and I haven't vetted it. Will take a closer look.

Gregorian

Postby Gregorian » 09 May 2018

Turns out the problem is the Paper Trader profile. It can only handle 1 or 2 charts/strategies before dragging down the responsiveness of MC. It also starts to emit Broker API and other errors, saying the broker is taking too long to respond. In contrast, Rithmic Paper Trader and Rithmic Local Sim work fine.

I have reported this to MC.

Return to “MultiCharts”