IB papertrade Simulator with MC strategy?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Sky

IB papertrade Simulator with MC strategy?

Postby Sky » 29 May 2018

I have a live account with IB and have been using the papertrading account to discretionary trade my work. I have been backtesting my system work with a strategy that I now want to run with the papertrading account. The trades appear on my MC charts but do not appear on the IB papertrade account.

How do I setup my IB / MC charts to autotrade the strategy so the trades are placed into the IB papertrade account?

Also, if I interrupt the strategy with a manual trade, do/can I use the two provided sync strategy/signals provided by MC to resync the broker PT account with the MC charts/strategy again?

Eventually, I want to use my strategy to autotrade, but want to understand all the "what ifs" that can happen and how to handle them once they eventually strike. Thanks for the help.

TJ

Re: IB papertrade Simulator with MC strategy?

Postby TJ » 29 May 2018

I have a live account with IB and have been using the papertrading account to discretionary trade my work. I have been backtesting my system work with a strategy that I now want to run with the papertrading account. The trades appear on my MC charts but do not appear on the IB papertrade account.

How do I setup my IB / MC charts to autotrade the strategy so the trades are placed into the IB papertrade account?

. . . .

MultiCharts will trade on whatever account you log into.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 29 May 2018

"How do I setup my IB / MC charts to autotrade the strategy so the trades are placed into the IB papertrade account? "

If you mean the mechanics of setting it up, it's quite simple.
Be sure to load the IB papertrading account (tws or gateway).
With MC running, Load the chart with the instrument and time frame that you want to auto trade.
Load the trading system on the chart.
At the top of the chart choose "Format" and select "automate order execution" . Just make sure that all system settings are correct (check signal format and properties settings) etc, and that's about it. Sit back and watch it make money. (hopefully).
Good Trading.

Sky

Postby Sky » 30 May 2018

Thanks TJ and sptrader.....that's exactly what I need. I've been a discretionary trader for too many years to count. We'll leave it at before PC or Apple ever existed. Yes, I figured I missed throwing a connection switch on the two pieces.

Perhaps you, or someone, can elaborate on the use of AA mode?
Would this be the best mode to use if I wanted to interrupt the strategy with a discretionary trade (say a loss I do not like)?
And, if I do interrupt the strategy, what is the procedure to resync the broker and strategy?

Thanks for your patience and guidance.....peace

TJ

Postby TJ » 30 May 2018

Thanks TJ and sptrader.....that's exactly what I need. I've been a discretionary trader for too many years to count. We'll leave it at before PC or Apple ever existed.
Hey we are of the same vintage. :D

Yes, I figured I missed throwing a connection switch on the two pieces.
Perhaps you, or someone, can elaborate on the use of AA mode? .....peace
This is a long and arduous journey. There are many options and choices. The devil is in the detail. There are no straight answers. There are no shortcuts. You have to read read read and read to get yours competent in autotrade. The good thing is, 99.9% of what you need to know are in the wiki.

Sky

Re: IB papertrade Simulator with MC strategy?  [SOLVED]

Postby Sky » 30 May 2018

Hey thanks TJ....I know we had some of these conversations some years back. But over the past ten years I had to back away during my wifes' battles with Leukemia, which she unfortunately lost in 2014. So, now after my own "reboot" with life after death (it's all good bro as we all know no one is getting out of here alive), I am back to it and have now since retired and have the time to apply my systems on a fulltime basis. It's good to be back to work again and you're correct on the options made available to us. I want to automate to remove the emotional roller-coaster you get when discretionary trading, but I need to understand how to sync and resync should I feel the need to intervene throughout the day. So thank you for help and kind words.

After reading some information on SA vs AA mode, I am a bit confused on the two supplied re-sync strategies:
!From Broker To Strategy MP Synchronizer!
!From Strategy To Broker MP Synchronizer!

can these be use in both modes, SA and AA, to sync the chart and broker? Reading the verbiage reflects on the SA mode as the mode these two will work on. If that is true, how would I sync them back up if I use the AA mode setup?

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “MultiCharts”