ASCII Mapped Data Going Missing  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Parker

ASCII Mapped Data Going Missing

Postby Parker » 04 Jun 2018

Hi,

I have set up a large number of symbols in Quote Manager using ASCII Mapping as the data source, pointing at files saved on my hard drive. I right-click the symbol then Import Data > ASCII > then select my file to load. This works fine for a while but then Quote Manager seems to keep losing the data or the connection to the file. Everything works fine for a few days and then all of a sudden my charts start to say "Establishing Connection" and nothing happens. In Quote Manager if I right-click the Symbol and click edit data I see nothing there either, when prior to this the data was visible in there.

Has anyone had this same issue? Anyone know what could be causing this?

It's becoming a bit annoying to have to keep re-importing the data for many symbols when this happens.

Thanks.

Parker

Re: ASCII Mapped Data Going Missing

Postby Parker » 05 Jun 2018

Since writing this it has happened again, very frustrating. Strange thing I hadn't even closed the platform. I even still had charts loaded with data from the ASCII source. It just wouldn't let me load new charts. I have had to close MC and Quote Manager. Re-open Quote Manager and re-import the data again. Re-start MC and load charts again.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: ASCII Mapped Data Going Missing

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 07 Jun 2018

Hello, Parker,

Please select one of the following data storage methods for each instrument of ASCII Mapping data source and don’t mess these methods up.

1) ASCII Mapping — creating a link from the software to the file with data.
ASCII mapping does not import data into MultiCharts database (Edit data window of QuoteManager will be empty). Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol the data is taken from the file directly. If new data is added in the ASCII file, the chart shall be updated automatically. That is possible to map multiple ASCII files at the same time. You do not need to create ASCII mapping instrument manually — it is created automatically upon mapping.
More information: http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ping_ASCII

2) ASCII import — is a onetime data transfer from an ASCII file into MultiCharts database. It is possible for one file at a time. The data will not be updated from the ASCII file automatically.
More information: http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... rting_Data

It is strongly recommended not to use both methods for the same symbol.

In order to correct possible mistakes that could cause this issue:
1. Do a backup copy of all ASCII Mapping symbols from QuoteManager. Select all the required symbols by pressing “Shift” on your keyboard -> right mouse click -> Export Data -> Export Instruments -> perform export of the instruments with data
2. Delete all ASCII mapping symbols from QuoteManager
3. Perform ASCII mapping anew strictly following the instruction:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ping_ASCII
4. Don’t do ASCII import after that

If an instrument is mapped correctly, there is ASCII Mapping tab in Edit Symbol window that shows mapping parameters of the instrument.

Additional recommendations for ASCII Mapping:
- ASCII files of the same structure shall be in the same directory on your computer. If the files are of different structure – place them in different directories.
- It is not recommended to edit ASCII files in Excel.

If after following the above recommendations you still have any difficulties, please contact us by e-mail support@multicharts.com or visit our live chat accessible from our web site http://www.multicharts.com/ (at the top of the page). We’ll do our best to help you.

Parker

Re: ASCII Mapped Data Going Missing  [SOLVED]

Postby Parker » 11 Jun 2018

Thanks Svetlana, I have re-mapped all of the symbols and this has resolved the issue.

Return to “MultiCharts”