Holding 2 or more stocks with scanner+chart-Trader  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Holding 2 or more stocks with scanner+chart-Trader

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Jun 2018

Hi, before I get into this to make it clearer I do not use a fully automated trading system. I have never been able to get code to read the waves exactly the way I read them more than 80% of the time so I program what I can to help out including having arrow code I use to mark the waves manually.

I have a work-space with almost 70 stocks in a scanner window and 6 charts linked with the colour red to that scanner window so when I switch symbols in the scanner window all 6 charts change to match. I have noticed that any text I place in the upper sub-chart (the prices sub-chart) is tied to the stock symbol I have selected for display (this is good). For example if I have a text comment on the 5 minute bars for symbol ABX when I switch to symbol AC that comment goes away and when I come back to symbol ABX the comment for ABX reappears. This link to the symbol also applies to any other drawings I place in the upper sub-chart. Unfortunately if I place any of these drawings in the 2nd and 3rd sub-charts (RSI and %R) they are not tied to the stock. Because the plots in sub-charts #2 and #3 are tried to the symbol I can work around not having the drawings link by developing code that places drawings on for me (code that I probably already have kicking around which I used for the futures which I can adapt to stocks).

So since (at least the drawings in the upper sub-chart are tied to the symbol) I have decided I am going to try putting a chart trader window on the 1 minute bar chart and see if it is tied to the scanner window symbol I have highlighted. I was thinking I would test this by placing a live limit order way outside the market for two or three symbols and try using the scanner window to flip back and forth between them to see if the chart trader order lines adjust (my guess is they will). One thing I have noticed is if I set the work-space to symbol ABX then I set the trailing stop order parameters for auto attach to the limit order with certain percentages for the trail and the adjustment they do not get retained with the stock if I switch between ABX and AC. I use different values for each trade depending on how big a distance my ultimate target is. Since they are not tied to the stock I would have to set these right before I take an order (can't plan too far ahead such that I can flip between stocks to try and get a good entry price on more than one).

So since two items do not seem to get tied to the symbol I have selected in the scanner I am a bit concerned about trading this way. I am wondering if anyone uses the chart trader to trade live this way (rather than setting up a new work-space for every stock they are holding live) and if so are there any issues that I need to be concerned about while in one or more live trades.

Thanks,
John

Svetlana MultiCharts

Re: Holding 2 or more stocks with scanner+chart-Trader  [SOLVED]

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 29 Jun 2018

Hello, bowlesj3,

I hope the following explains the described behavior:

1. Drawings based on the data series disappear if the instrument is changed.
Drawings based on the indicator’s subchart don’t disappear if the instrument is changed, because they are tied to the indicator.

2. Exit and Entry ATM Strategy settings are not saved for the specific instrument, they are saved for the symbol category. For example, if you switch from futures to futures the exit strategy settings shall be saved, if you switch from stocks to futures – the custom settings won’t be saved.
Auto-Attach status is saved for the specific instrument.

bowlesj3

Re: Holding 2 or more stocks with scanner+chart-Trader

Postby bowlesj3 » 29 Jun 2018

Thanks Svetlana, Its working okay for me. John.

synonym

Postby synonym » 04 Jul 2018

Hi John

Not sure if you got this from Svetlana's response, but a bit more info re point 1.

If you want your drawings in indicator panels to stay related to the symbol being charted, then you need to plot the symbol in each indicator panel, use invisible bars and ensure the symbol is "sent to the back" of the panel. Then set the symbol link button
in each indicator panel to the colour you have set for your price panel.

Now you can draw on the indicator and when you change the symbol the drawings will stay such to the indicator for that symbol.

Syn

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 Jul 2018

Thanks Syn,

I don't think I would have ever thought of that. I will check it out.

John

synonym

Postby synonym » 04 Jul 2018

No problem.
I think MC is very messy in us having to do this to get the result we want, but it works and once you have your workspaces set up, you can forget about it.
Syn

Return to “MultiCharts”