TO ALL INTERACTIVE BROKERS USERS

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Grigorios

TO ALL INTERACTIVE BROKERS USERS

Postby Grigorios » 12 May 2008

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/ge ... cat_search

i have made a suggestion to IB for creating continuation symbols for
futures...if this will implemented will make our lives easier..

please vote.

danilo

Postby danilo » 09 Jun 2008

Marina,

it's possible to sticky this post till the end of voting period ?

regards,
Danilo

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 09 Jun 2008

It would be nice if IB added continuous symbols, but I don't think its data feed will ever be adequate.

I am a futures trader with IB and TS accounts. I currently use TS, and would like to switch to MC+IB because IB is a much better broker, and the MC platform is developed much faster than TS (eg multi-cpu for opts, etc). However, I don't think IB, or any other 3rd party data vendor will ever match TS, which has an integrated-data feed that makes data-management completely transparent and allows it to develop powerful data features like custom futures symbols for user-defined rollover. I think TSS needs to set up its own data feeds with the exchanges, and charge the same as TS (eg CME Globex futures for $40 pm). This will allow MC to match (and even improve upon) TS's data features, and avoid the need for MC users to manage symbols lists, etc.

I'm aware this would require investment by TSS as you would need to hire data management and integrity resources. However you would no longer have to write, support, and update middleware for lots of 3rd party vendors.

At the end of the day, traders want to think about trading, not managing data. I believe MC has the potential to be # 1 in the fast-growing market for retail trading platforms (the IB-autotrading feature is a TS-killer) but data is the one major stumbling block to its success.

Brendan

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Jun 2008

Marina,

it's possible to sticky this post till the end of voting period ?

regards,
Danilo
Hi Danilo,

You want a sticky for all those who use IB data in MultiCharts to see that they can vote on IB's forum?

Thank you.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 09 Jun 2008

It would be nice for IB to have this , but are they going to do it for all symbols across all exchanges ? It is a nice feature but not an important one.

I'd rather IB focus on platform stability and execution speed.. since that's their primary job as a broker.

I think daisy chaining of data into a continuous symbol should rest on the responsibility of the chart vendor.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Jun 2008

It would be nice for IB to have this , but are they going to do it for all symbols across all exchanges ? It is a nice feature but not an important one.

I'd rather IB focus on platform stability and execution speed.. since that's their primary job as a broker.

I think daisy chaining of data into a continuous symbol should rest on the responsibility of the chart vendor.
Hi aljafp,

Although we are planning to add continuous contracts in future, we believe that providing continuous contracts should rest on the data vendor. First of all, most of the best data vendors provide continuous contracts. Second, if contracts are merged on the data vendor's end, this implementation is much more user friendly than if it were done withing a charting package.

bowlesj3

Will the continuous contacts be loadable historically.

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Jun 2008

Regarding TS Support's intention to make a continuous contract, does this mean that we will be able to do both of these?

1/ taking the E-Mini S&P 500 for example, get a historic feed of the various contract months and merge them into a single symbol going back in time 5+ years or more.

2/ To be able to collect the IB data as we do now and append the new futures contract to the old futures contract data in a special symbol during each rollover. In this case will we be able to get our daily live feed but view the daily bars back as many years as we have collected (at any time during the day).

Am I correct in assuming this feature will not be available in MC2.1.999.999 or will it be available with a new IB DLL for any version of MC.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 11 Jun 2008

Hi aljafp,

Although we are planning to add continuous contracts in future, we believe that providing continuous contracts should rest on the data vendor. First of all, most of the best data vendors provide continuous contracts. Second, if contracts are merged on the data vendor's end, this implementation is much more user friendly than if it were done withing a charting package.
you are absolutely right... that it is the data vendor's responsibility to provide continuous contract. So vendors like esignal or IQFeed should provide this.

But as i already mentioned, IB is a broker first, data provider second.
Its primary responsibilities are stability and order execution speed, not data.

It'll be a plus if they can provide this.. but its not their primary responsibility.

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Jun 2008

I think there is an expectation gap -- IB is NOT a dataprovider.

IB is a broker who supplies quotes to its customers.

They circumvent collecting exchange fees by NOT being a "dataprovider".
They do this by aggregating the quotes and limiting the amount of history available.

You can make the request, but I doubt IB will ever provide you with a continuous contract. Because if they do that, they will become a "dataprovider" and the exchanges will force IB to collect exchange fees from you.

(let me guess, I don't think you want to pay the fees.)

Marina Pashkova

Re: Will the continuous contacts be loadable historically.

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Jun 2008

Regarding TS Support's intention to make a continuous contract, does this mean that we will be able to do both of these?

1/ taking the E-Mini S&P 500 for example, get a historic feed of the various contract months and merge them into a single symbol going back in time 5+ years or more.

2/ To be able to collect the IB data as we do now and append the new futures contract to the old futures contract data in a special symbol during each rollover. In this case will we be able to get our daily live feed but view the daily bars back as many years as we have collected (at any time during the day).

Am I correct in assuming this feature will not be available in MC2.1.999.999 or will it be available with a new IB DLL for any version of MC.
Dear John,

If the data for individual contracts is available either on the provider's server or on QuoteManager, MutliCharts will merge those contracts (using the root for identification) in the required order.

This feature will be available in future MC versions (not as a separate patch/dll).

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”